HP t730 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Question for everyone using the T730 with ESXi 6.7 U2/U3 (due to the realtek nic/etc) ... has anyone had issues running Windows 2016 or 2019 vm on the T730? For some odd reason, every single one of my installs has bombed out in some way. Initially it was during the install process ... I downloaded and uploaded the ISO multiple times to get that error to go away (may have also been due to me removing usb controller from the vm).

One thing to relate is that I am running it off a external USB hdd. Pfsense vm runs fine. My lubuntu vm on the external hdd runs fine.

But, now that it's installed, logging into the Windows OS, it always gets a black screen ... i can send ctrl alt del to bring up taskmanager and try to run something but that never opens up okay either (just the black screen). I've tried fiddling with the default video settings. It does this both with 2016 and 2019 install. It's super odd behavior.
Eh, there were issues with AMD piledrivers and certain microcodes -> AMD to fix slippery hypervisor-busting bug in its CPU microcode

Not sure if EMC/VMWare has a patch for it, but it could mess with Windows Server.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Oh yeah, I should mention that my t730 has been swapped out for the t740 (it's supposed to have an OS rebuild to run on Proxmox, but I've been super-busy. It's just a straight-up boot media/NIC migration from the 730 to the 740)

The N40L is currently down due to the PSU giving up the blue smoke, so to speak, on Friday evening.. PSU failure bought the machine down and it'll be off until the replacement part arrives (...Monday?). The PSU is the Delta DPS-150TB A Revision - HPe spare p/n is 620827-001, but since they are out of OEM replacements I am taking a chance with some generic PSU from Amazon, the KDMPower KDM MFX9350. WIll review on the t740 thread.

Last edited: