Canada Hp Proliant Dl60 Gen9 Rackmount Server - Xeon E5-2609 V3 6-core 1.9ghz - 8gb Ram - no HDD 512$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Well found myself an even better deal on one of these this morn. Ncix had an open box unit for 200$ shipped. At that price I could not pass it up. Figure worse case can use the CPU and ram in another machine and still come out cheaper than if I bought them separately

If you end up using the CPU and RAM in another machine, I'd be interested in taking the shell off your hands

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
I got my sleds and SSD trays from two different vendors. Needed a little bit of coaxing to get everything lined up. These sleds are very tight.

Locutis

Oct 26, 2016
I randomly found this deal while shopping for a new backup server for work. I ordered 5 from Newegg, and they cancelled my order without any valid reason. So I called up NCIX and asked if they had any and would match the price, and they did and would, and I ordered the last 6 for $573 each delivered. I decided I'd have one cross-shipped to our location in another city instead of trying to get it there myself.

Never had a rack server before, nor have I used any branded servers (I always build using Asus or SuperMicro boards and retail components, Intel SSD and WD RE4 hard drives). We'll see how these perform. For the money it is worth the experiment. I maintain around 100 computers over 3 locations in 2 cities. About 10 of them are servers.

As for the 'serve the home', I currently have a large bank of Western Digital 2TB external network drives (7 or 8 if I recall correctly), connected to a gigabit LAN. On that LAN I have a Core i3 box running Ubuntu and KODI to stream the movies from the WD drives. The computer is in a component-style case for the living room. I ripped all of my DVDs that I bought over the last 20 years, and it makes the library nicely accessible on the Panasonic plasma to all of us in the house. Next project will be to do some upgrades to the box, and possibly build another HTPC to run on another TV we have upstairs.

As for work, I plan on using a couple of these HP DL60s to run 24/7, with a couple for spares, and a couple for spare parts. Not sure if I'll double up the processors and/oor RAM, but certainly it's worth a look to see how it performs. Eagerly anticipating them arriving later this week so I can see what all the excitement is about on these. Essentially I have our main servers on a RAID 1, and an internal backup drive to backup the RAID 1 with an image snapshot every hour, and every day, and once per month. Then I have a cheap WD external network drive to backup the internal backup drive "just in case". For more security and redundancy, I plan on building a backup to the backup, using the HP DL60, with a pair of Intel DC 3610 SSD on RAID 1, and a pair of WD RE4 on RAID 1, and another WD network drive on a segregated network. Additionally, I'll build a 'package' that will download over the 100Mbps fiber we have to our other location across the country, and save to the identical type server there, and vice-versa. That will allow for at least 6-9 copies of all data all the time. I figure that's enough.

What sort of adapter do you think I'll need to use the Intel 3610 SSD drives on these (2.5")?

Locutis

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I ordered a LFF to SFF drive caddie adapter off ebay for mine, just got it in today and it seems to work ok with my generic ssd i tossed into it

Locutis

Oct 26, 2016
I ordered a LFF to SFF drive caddie adapter off ebay for mine, just got it in today and it seems to work ok with my generic ssd i tossed into it
Do you have a part number?

Something like this?
HP 2.5" SSD TO 3.5" SATA Converter Hard Drive Tray Caddy 654540-001 + 373211-001 | eBay

Or even just this, together with a caddy I'll already have?
HP 2.5" HDD to 3.5" SSD Hard Drive Tray Caddy Sled for PC, Apple Mac pro Macpro | eBay

Do I have to worry about any compatibility issues between caddies, sleds, and drives, with the DL60?

Last edited:

Locutis

Oct 26, 2016
I received my DL60 G9 1u servers this week. NCIX had it described as 550w single psu, and it contains the redundant psu that the model number says it does. I should be able to take one of my spare units and take the RAM, CPU, and PSU and integrate it into one single unit, or am I wrong? I also purchased a set of 4 Kingston 8GB DDR4 ECC sticks which are listed as compatible for these boxes.

Because I wanted to ensure the machines worked flawlessly, and to ensure I got the exact correct drive caddy/carrier when I plan to order from eBay, I also ordered a pair of HPE 1TB drives specifically requesting compatibility with the DL60 Gen 9. I got them, and it turns out they are WD drives. Nice.

Just waiting for a StarTech 36u rack to show up so I can start building some fun. I already had a mini rack but it's full. I plan on moving my components from that mini rack into the main rack once it shows up. In there I have a Mac Mini running OS X 10.11 Server in a rackmount enclosure, a 1u UPS, a 16 port gigabit switch, and an Acer 19" monitor mounted to a 5u rack mount. Also received a 1u sliding shelf which I'll use for a keyboard drawer (was 1/2 the price of a 'keyboard drawer' and does the exact same thing!).

I haven't booted any of the machines up yet. I'm eagerly anticipating trying them out. I hope I can get Debian 7 working on these DL60. I don't plan on using the RAID controller for RAID, I use mdadm Linux RAID. I had a bad experience 10 years ago losing a RAID array that was connected to a RAID controller, so ever since I've been using software RAID in Linux and been satisfied with the results.

I'm going to try out a dual CPU, 64GB, redundant PSU, Intel DC3610 for OS/boot, and a pair of WD RE4 500GB and a WD Red 4TB NAS drive in one of these, hopefully running Debian 7.

zivan56

Nov 8, 2016
I bought one of these a few months back when they first appeared on sale as I thought it would be great addition for the 2xDL360 G6's I have in my closet. Since I have these in a small apartment, noise is quite important for me.
Compared to to the DL360's, the DL60 Gen9 seems like what I would describe as a portable vacuum cleaner combined with a dentists drill. The moving air sound isn't that annoying, but the dentists drill sound is. I've taken out all the fans and left only the CPU one as a quick test, and it still had the noise. The only thing I can think of is that tiny power suppy fan. Anybody have the same issue?

If I can't get this noise down to a decent level, I'm thinking of just moving the components over to a tower instead.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
If any of you are looking for some higher end G9's I have these two for sale

HP DL160 g9 E5-2603v4 8gb ddr4 iLO RAILS + 2 Smart Caddies 1 $850
HP DL360 g9 E5-2630v3 32gb ddr4 iLO RAILS + All Smart Caddies 1 $2150