Canada Hp Proliant Dl60 Gen9 Rackmount Server - Xeon E5-2609 V3 6-core 1.9ghz - 8gb Ram - no HDD 512$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Got to wonder how loud one would be as it would be tempting to pick one or two up for my home lab, cheaper than building a box

ehfortin

Nov 1, 2015
Got to wonder how loud one would be as it would be tempting to pick one or two up for my home lab, cheaper than building a box
I've not seen these yet. I have a few ML310e gen8 v2 and they are fine but they are are tower so... not really a good comparison. Xeon E5 v3 are really good on power usage but that said, the design of the server and the way HP installed the fan can make the difference. The small fan in 1U server are real jet when the bios decide that it has to cool down...

Any comment from somebody that actually has one of those?

ehfortin

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
ya the E5 V3 is good on power, use them in my desktop currently and was planing on getting another for my new fileserver build. Always concerned about the noise that most of the 1u servers make cause they normally are not quiet

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Just threw one on the bench. Here is a mini review.

The layout is pretty spartan, 2 rear USB 3.0 ports, 2 Ethernet, 1 VGA that's about it. The front has 1 USB 2.0 port. The overall build quality however is solid.

The unit comes with a 4 large from factor hot plug backplane. There are two empty slots, and two with filler blanks. You will need G8/G9 caddies to fill these slots.

A few items of note:

- There are only 4 DIMM slots per CPU
- The PSU is rated 900W but only at 200-240V. At 120V it is rated for 550W. It is tiny, and there is slot for a redundant unit (not included)
- The sound I measured at 3 ft was about 55 dBa. ( A weighted slow response). The unit is not loud, but it is not whisper quite either. It is louder than a Dell R610 but for a 1U quieter than most.
- The unit comes with 3 fans, and 1 x16 riser. If you want more fans, you need an upgrade kit. Similarly there is no FlexLOM slot by default, this requires another riser.
- The unit does come with rails, which is a nice bonus
- The provided power cord is a C13 to C14. This might be a bonus if you have a PDU.
- There is a microSD slot on board, as well as an USB 3.0 port which is angled sideways off the motherboard allowing for larger USB drives.
- There is NO heatsink included for the second CPU
- The memory is 1 8GB DIMM DDR4 2133
- The Ethernet controller is an Intel i350 for those who prefer intel. (It supports VT-c)
- It does come with full ILO4 and 2GB NAND

I am happy to answer other questions people may have. For the price, this is a very decent unit.

If anyone does get these and upgrades the CPU, I would be happy to take your old CPU off your hands. Just PM me a price shipped to Vancouver

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
well 55dba is too loud for me, this will be in my office/bedroom so will be a no go

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
well 55dba is too loud for me, this will be in my office/bedroom so will be a no go

Yeah, it might be a bit loud for a bedroom. This is not T630 quiet. If I have time I will test again with redundant fans and see if that helps.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I am only doing rackmounts not towers, just means that i need to build my own instead of buying comercial ones is all

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Haha wow what timing.

eBay $10 off $50.

How to redeem your Coupon:
  1. Shop for eligible items. (See below for exclusions.)
  2. Pay for your item with PayPal by 10PM Eastern Time on September 28, 2016.
  3. Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: CANADIANDEALS

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Well found myself an even better deal on one of these this morn. Ncix had an open box unit for 200$ shipped. At that price I could not pass it up. Figure worse case can use the CPU and ram in another machine and still come out cheaper than if I bought them separately

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Can any of you confirm if these units come with any hotswap caddies at all or do i need to go out and get some before i can start using it

Reactions: OzTechGeek

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Can any of you confirm if these units come with any hotswap caddies at all or do i need to go out and get some before i can start using it

The unit comes with 2 blanks, and two empty bays. No hot swap caddies are included.