HP Prodesk 400 G4 mini: power adapter, non-T CPUs and c-state Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Apicedda

Sep 28, 2023
I just got an HP Prodesk 400 G4 mini to tinker with as a first basic home server, the current specs are g4900t, 8gb single stick, 970 evo
  • It came with an off-brand power supply, 65W 18.5v, and it seems to work fine but from what i can see the original is 19.5v. Could i encounter any issues? is this supposed to work with a wider range of voltages?
  • I would like to upgrade the CPU, an i3 would be enough for now, but the non-T variants are much easier to find and often cheaper. They are not listed in the officially supported CPUs, did anyone try them? I'm aiming for a power efficient build, so i would still power limit it, but I'm assuming they will need a beefier power supply to even attempt to boot (i think they need the 90w PSU, with a specific pin to communicate their max current output), is this correct? can we force it to boot with a 65w PSU? (assuming we can boot non-T CPUs at all)
  • From my early tests, the CPU stays at a c3 power state, and never going to a lower power one (fresh debian headless install), do i need to tweak something to make it go lower? I found this thread on hardwareluxx.de with interesting results, but it's german and very long, it's not easy to navigate and find out what they did. Is there anything similar in english?
Bonus question, the fan. I couldn't find anyone that successfully tuned the fan curve, and/or make it stop in idle. Is there really no way to do it? (without maybe plugging the fan on a separate external controller).
Thank you