HP ML350p Gen8 v2 PSUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iangreenhalgh

Nov 30, 2020
Hi folks

Just acquired a dirt cheap ML350p gen8 v2 I intend to build into a video editing system. It currently has a single 460W PSU with a blanked off slot for a second unit. If I add a second 460W PSU, does this mean I have a total of 920W of power on tap or does the second unit function as a backup for the primary and I still only have 460W on tap?

Reactions: ullbeking

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
In nearly all configurations with 2 power supplies, you're looking at redundancy as the only option, so you would not be able to exceed the output of a single PSU, which means 460W max in your case.

Reactions: iangreenhalgh

iangreenhalgh

Nov 30, 2020
Cheers. I'm going to be running a pair of e5-2660s and a Quadro K4200/Tesla K10 combo so I'll get a bigger PSU.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Just acquired a dirt cheap ML350p gen8 v2 I intend to build into a video editing system. It currently has a single 460W PSU with a blanked off slot for a second unit. If I add a second 460W PSU, does this mean I have a total of 920W of power on tap or does the second unit function as a backup for the primary and I still only have 460W on tap?
I've heard a lot about this legendary server model series, and I hope one day to get one to experiment with myself. I have a few HPE machines myself, and I'd consider getting more when needed, in future.

However I'm curious... how are you building this into a video editing system?! Isn't this a noisy server?

I mean the ML350p Gen8 is a proper "server" server, and I'd love to know how this machine can be made quiet enough so as to function as a video editing editing system, assuming that audio is something that is part of the "video" that you are editing (or at least has something to do with it). Are you configuring this machine for quietness, and if so, what your magic tricks?

And do you have the tower model or rack model?

Thanks!! And I wish you a wonderful New Year.

@ullbeking

iangreenhalgh

Nov 30, 2020
I'm replacing the delta jet turbine fans with some rather less noisy ones. Slow progress as I've not been well. I shall post details and pics when I have done it. Thankyou for your interest.

It's the tower version, and a great new year to you too.