HP DL180G6 runs Xpenology (Synology clone) with LSI SAS!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
rubylaser
I just check and is working. let me know if you want me to email you the pictures.

Anyone, how do I insert pictures inline within the thread? or updload the STH forum?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Perfect. Thank you. I have a Google Account, and the page opens, but with a broken image link for some reason?

Last edited:

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
Does the LSI 99208i cause the fans in the DL180 G6 to run at max RPMs or does it still allow the fan speed to be adjusted based on temps. I have read that HPs are very particular when adding cards that aren't original equipment for that server and want to avoid any issues with fan speed.

Any word on how 2 fans are cooling your system dba?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I'd like to know as well as to how you keep the LSI card cool (and 10gbe nic) with that little air flow! It's a beast back there in those slots!

I also found the 8 port versions far more stable since there is no SAS expander chip - you can literally buy the front clip from folks off ebay and slip them on. The P4300 G2's I'm running are configured that way and are far more friendly when drives go kaput!

I'm running esxi 5.1 on all of mine so perhaps that has something to do with stability but i've found that when I lost a SAS drive (1-6 are sata 2tb, 7-12 are 300gb 15K SAS) - i'd also lose a SATA drive when inserting a replacement drive. Nothing like this happens on the models which are direct connect *8 ports* no sas-expander. So i've gotta wonder what that little sas expander has to do with this ?

Also under ESXi with the sas-expander it sees two paths to each drives, without the sas-expander (8 port) it only sees 1 path to each drive!)

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
How loud are your Xpenology DL180 G6 with add in cards compared to normal Synology systems? Makes sense to only have one CPU. Still better than the Atom.

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
I'd like to know as well as to how you keep the LSI card cool (and 10gbe nic) with that little air flow! It's a beast back there in those slots!

I also found the 8 port versions far more stable since there is no SAS expander chip - you can literally buy the front clip from folks off ebay and slip them on. The P4300 G2's I'm running are configured that way and are far more friendly when drives go kaput!

I'm running esxi 5.1 on all of mine so perhaps that has something to do with stability but i've found that when I lost a SAS drive (1-6 are sata 2tb, 7-12 are 300gb 15K SAS) - i'd also lose a SATA drive when inserting a replacement drive. Nothing like this happens on the models which are direct connect *8 ports* no sas-expander. So i've gotta wonder what that little sas expander has to do with this ?

Also under ESXi with the sas-expander it sees two paths to each drives, without the sas-expander (8 port) it only sees 1 path to each drive!)
Sounds like a power problem there with either the backplane or the PSU.

Inserting a drive shouldn't cause that much of a dip that it drops another drive out.

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
How loud are your Xpenology DL180 G6 with add in cards compared to normal Synology systems? Makes sense to only have one CPU. Still better than the Atom.
If you want to help with noise you can replace the fans, I replaced mine with 4 of these: Dell Optiplex GX620 SX280 USFF San Ace CPU Fan U1295 9G0612P1M031 | eBay With 2 L5520s the processors stay around 40C.

First thing I did on my server was pull the redundant fans and the Y-cables used to power the redundant fans. It was still too loud for my liking so I replaced the fans, had to extend the wires on the replacement fans and change the connector to the 6 pin connector that the DL180 G6 uses. It is now much quieter, quiet enough that I can work all day in the same room with it and it doesn't bother me at all.