How to recover files from a NAS that doesn’t work anymore (Synology CS407)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nowell Tinworth

Nov 24, 2023
My Synology CS407 NAS don’t turn on, it may be out of order.
I’ve got a NAS device with RAID 6.
What should I do with all the data that’s still on the disks? (I hope that all drives are working and my data is still there)
There is no way to access the files by just connecting the disks to the computer. I can't try replacing the device itself - there is no similar device available.
What should I do to read the disks and retrieve information from there? Or, is there any well-tested data recovery tools for NAS solutions?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
How to recover files from a NAS that doesn’t work anymore (Synology CS407)
by restoring from the backup

If the device is dead (no leds, no spinning fans) I would make images of the hdds/ssds and mount the copies of the images in a vm running dsm. If that doesn't work I would try it with a "vanilla" linux distro and check partition headers etc. for known magical numbers (eg mdadm raid superblock).
Did you try this?

Nowell Tinworth

Nov 24, 2023
No, i didn`t try this.
I'm afraid to damage my array in this way, not to damage the existing data on it.
Maybe better to connect my drives to some program to read data from the drives that were part of the RAID?

Nowell Tinworth

Nov 24, 2023
Since no one helped me solve my problem, I figured it out myself. Here's how I did it:

I take the disks out of the NAS device and connect them to a Windows computer. The operating system of the computer to which I have connected the disks asks me to initialize or format them. I didn’t do that, because it would make recovery a lot more complicated.

I installed and ran Hetman RAID Recovery (I tried several programs, but this one seemed the most convenient to me).

It analyze the disks, read their service information and rebuild the damaged RAID system.

The program has rebuilt the damaged RAID and found all the files stored on the network drive.
Screenshot_27.png