How to flash LSI 3008 on Asrock Rack EPC612D4U-8R into IT mode?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Hi everyone,
I just dipped my toe into the homelab / homeserver world and replaced my QNAP. I bought and installed the Asrock Rack EPC612D4U-8R board that comes with an LSI 3008 storage controller. As I installed proxmox and TrueNAS on my server, I would like to connect my existing SATA drives to the controller and pass it as a whole to TrueNAS. My understanding is that I need to flash the controller into IT mode for that. I searched the forum and the internet and found a few sources with step by step instructions.

As the board and some of the instructions are some years old, I wanted to make sure I have the latest information to not brick the controller. Here are the sources I found:

STH tutorial
Flash on Supermicro board
Flash on Supermicro board - 2
More generic instructions
Youtube Video

Few questions:
  1. Is there a reason, why this should not work on my board? I saw someone here in the forum who did it no another board, so it seems Asrock "supports/allows" it (not sure whether they could do something about it
  2. Where do I get the latest software to flash? I have found some links to Supermicro that do not work anymore and I was also not sure whether I can apply the Supermicro software to my board
Thanks for some guidance!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I believe the 3008 is an IT controller and the 3108 is a RAID controller.