Patrick

How to fix: BMC can't force ME to recovery mode when updating BIOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Code:
<PATH  + FILENAME OF SUM EXECUTABLE> -i <IP ADDRESS OF THE BMC TO FIX> -u <IPMI USER NAME> -p <IPMI USER PASSWORD> -c UpdateBios --file <PATH TO BIOS FILE> --force_update --reboot
the "./" indicated powershell ._.

Noob321

Nov 4, 2022
2 Servers recovered. Very happy camper here.
Thank you for your help.
It's much appreciated.

Reactions: i386

Juan1965

Nov 18, 2022
ok, so just in case anyone else is struggling with BIOS update using sum utility. The server has to have power yes, and the IPMI has to be enabled but the server has to be off.

Just connect via IPMI and power off the server. Once I did that, I was able to update the BIOS using the sum utility. Now I did have the JPME2 in position 2-3 so that may be a requirement to recover the BIOS. But until I powered off the server, I kept getting the "Cannot put ME into recovery mode" error.

Hope this will help people. Thanks,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28354

Hmm, dealing with a similar issue here. Looks like my BIOS is corrupted for one, and then second the force reboot won't work. If I do a power reboot the new BIOS won't stick :( I tried the recovery jumper on and off and no difference :( Am I really stuck? What options do I have?

C:\Users\exile\Downloads\X10>sum -i 192.168.0.237 -u ADMIN -p ADMIN -c UpdateBios --file X10SRM1.609 --force_update --reboot

Supermicro Update Manager (for UEFI BIOS) 2.9.0-p2 (2022/11/08) (x86_64)
Copyright(C) 2013-2022 Super Micro Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.

WARNING: BIOS setting will be reset without option --preserve_setting

Managed system...........192.168.0.237
Board ID.............0924
BIOS build date......N/A
Local BIOS image file....X10SRM1.609
Board ID.............0924
BIOS build date......2021/06/09

************************************WARNING*************************************
Do not remove AC power from the server.
********************************************************************************

Uploading BIOS.....................................................
.......Done

Preparing updating BIOS..........Done
Updating BIOS...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Done

Rebooting target system.....................................................

********************************<<<<<ERROR>>>>>*********************************

ExitCode = 148
Description = IPMI execution exception occurred
Program Error Code = 260.4
Error message:
Can not turn on this system. Detect system power status timeout.
Instruction:
Step 1: AC off. Step 2: AC on.

********************************************************************************

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
If I do a power reboot the new BIOS won't stick
Just to be sure: your target host (192.168.0.237) is shutdown and not running?
Never try to flash a bios update on a running host, you can get all weird problems! (I did it once accidentally) :D

D

Deleted member 28354

The BIOS is corrupted so the board will not even power on and boot. So is all off when I dod this procedure

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Have you tried flashing a combo package via the BMC (so not SUM but the web UI or TFTP).

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the IPMI of the X10SRM is still working ? if so do the firmware flash with IPMI WebGUI

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Supermicro Update Manager (for UEFI BIOS) 2.9.0-p2
Licensing: SFT-DCMS-SINGLE or SFT-OOB-LIC is required for each target node.
flash with IPMI WebGUI needs that too.
if yours is not activated yet, don't buy a licence, you can make your own.

D

Deleted member 28354

The one via IPMI GUI doesn't stick either. Anything I tried :(

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 1.50.54 PM.png

D

Deleted member 28354

I got you. Unfortunately it won't POST :( No idea what to do at this point. Probably send it in as an RMA and let them sort it out

D

Deleted member 28354

Yeah is a new board (used) but looks like the two different CPU's I have are not working. I may have a CPU / memory mismatch and it won't post. I also get a LE6 red solid light on it which could indicate a mismatched CPU/rom The board is a Supermicro X10SRM-TF-O

D

Deleted member 28354

Yes is both the 24pin and 8pin as per the manual, and nothing on the 4 pin molex LOL. That will fry it alright :)

The 2 CPU' I tried are a E5-2620 V4 and an E5-2650 V3.

The PSU I have is this SilverStone Technology 350 Watt Flex ATX Power Supply with Fixed Cables and 80 Plus Gold - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QGMX5DW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The LE6 solid red light also say bad PSU but this PSU works fine on other mobos.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 28354

Hmm, I don't have another PSU but I am going to grab one from BestBuy tonight just to be sure :)

THANKS for helping by the way Sir