how to divide internet speed to 4 access point

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Navin

Dec 16, 2019
hey guys,

I wanna know how to divide internet speed to 4 access points

For example my net speed is 200mbps and below are average connected users but I want 1 and 2 access point to have higher speed than 3 and 4

1 AP = 30users

2 AP = 45 users

3 AP = 15 users

4 AP = 8 users

Kindly help me to divide them

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
If you limit the AP and all the users move to the other APs, users would be hindered.
IMO you shouldn't limit the bandwidth to the AP, but limit each user to XX mbps if you're worried about congestion (perhaps about 20 or 30mbps as its unlikely you'll alot of users capping out simultaneously).

We have a 150/150 (300/300 burstable connection) for our office shared with our datacenter, and we have almost double your users with little to no peaking nor do we have any cap restriction except on streaming traffic (thats allowed 10mbps ~ unrestricted after hours).

Navin

Dec 16, 2019
We have a 150/150 (300/300 burstable connection) for our office shared with our datacenter, and we have almost double your users with little to no peaking nor do we have any cap restriction except on streaming traffic (thats allowed 10mbps ~ unrestricted after hours).[/QUOTE]

hey tnx for the reply :)
I have password protected all APs so users cannot move to other higher APs
The 1 and 2 AP is needed for PC access
The 3 and 4 is needed for mobile access and tablets
I cannot restrict each user to be limited but want all users to have good average speed in each AP
So how can i divide first 2 APs to have just good average speed to all users connected in it?

Last edited:

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Is there a reason you need to separate the traffic by APs vs broadcasting all SSIDs?
Why cant you restrict user traffic?
Are these enterprise class APs or what model are they?

What do you consider to be good average speed? (you could force 2 of the APs to use 10/100 connection which would auto limit them).

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
While I do not agree with restricting speed to some APs, I would recommend introducing traffic prioritization. Read up on QoS, different methodologies of traffic shaping (with htb being my favorite).

Navin

Dec 16, 2019
Is there a reason you need to separate the traffic by APs vs broadcasting all SSIDs?
Why cant you restrict user traffic?
Are these enterprise class APs or what model are they?

What do you consider to be good average speed? (you could force 2 of the APs to use 10/100 connection which would auto limit them).
These are Ruckus r600 enterprise class APs
I want 1 and 2 APs to have at least 30mb download nad 15 upload and the other 3 and 4 APs to be 15 download and 10 upload just for the mobiles, tablets and chromecast for TVs

i am not very thorough with the settings in ruckus since i am not that tech savvy person here and dont need any restrictions on traffic

I just want the staff here to have good speed in using emails and doing intense browsing with downloadable contents work properly in the company

Please help me on what is the best speed :(

Navin

Dec 16, 2019
While I do not agree with restricting speed to some APs, I would recommend introducing traffic prioritization. Read up on QoS, different methodologies of traffic shaping (with htb being my favorite).
Hi There, please follow my reply to the thread above :) I am not really a tech savvy person here

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
These are Ruckus r600 enterprise class APs
I want 1 and 2 APs to have at least 30mb download nad 15 upload and the other 3 and 4 APs to be 15 download and 10 upload just for the mobiles, tablets and chromecast for TVs
So you want AP 1/2 to have 30/15mbps+ each and 3/4 to have 15/10mbps each?
Frankly you have really nice APs with great features that can do what you want, just not how you're wanting it done.

You can limit a wlan, a vlan, a subnet, a port, a specific authentication, a SSID, or an application policy to control the bandwidth (or all of the above!).
To my knowledge you can't do what you're asking at an AP level without having something to tack the limit to.
What you're talking about doing might be possible at a switch level by limiting the port total traffic speed, but again from a design standpoint isn't recommended.

If I was designing this I would create two SSIDs one for computers and one for mobile/tablet/tv, limit the mobile network to XX/XX mbps and the computer network to XXX/XXX mbps.
No offense, but if you're not technical you should consider a consulting someone local who is technical that can be of better assistance.

Last edited:

Navin

Dec 16, 2019
So you want AP 1/2 to have 30/15mbps+ each and 3/4 to have 15/10mbps each?
Frankly you have really nice APs with great features that can do what you want, just not how you're wanting it done.

You can limit a wlan, a vlan, a subnet, a port, a specific authentication, a SSID, or an application policy to control the bandwidth (or all of the above!).
To my knowledge you can't do what you're asking at an AP level without having something to tack the limit to.
What you're talking about doing might be possible at a switch level by limiting the port total traffic speed, but again from a design standpoint isn't recommended.

If I was designing this I would create two SSIDs one for computers and one for mobile/tablet/tv, limit the mobile network to XX/XX mbps and the computer network to XXX/XXX mbps.
No offense, but if you're not technical you should consider a consulting someone local who is technical that can be of better assistance.
hey no offense taken :) I am just a regular office admin who is doing this IT task since we dont have any proper person to take care of it but luckily i know a bit of IT but not so thorough in it :(
also for local consultation, our company is still new and to call for help will charge tons of money for the consultation and remote help :(

I took this task coz i wanna learn much more on my own and try to solve this issue but do need a bit of guidance plus plus they want me to take care of it in the future so i can extra pay for doing IT task on top of my admin salary lol

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Your best resource would be to download the user/administrator guide for the ruckus AP and software controller then go through it to see if any of the configurations sound like they are what you want.

Navin

Dec 16, 2019
Your best resource would be to download the user/administrator guide for the ruckus AP and software controller then go through it to see if any of the configurations sound like they are what you want.
Please see how our setup is now below

diagram.jpg

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I think what they are trying to communicate is that it's much better to just create two (or however many) wireless network names (SSIDs), one for fast clients (like "laptop wireless"), and one for slow clients (like "cell phone wifi"). Both of these SSIDs would be available on all 4 access points.

In the ruckus config, you would then set your speed limits on the SSIDs themselves, like setting the Laptop Wireless wifi speed limit to ~400mbps or whatever, then limiting the cell phone wifi to ~10mbps etc. This way either client type can use any of the 4 APs they want, and their speed limit will be appropriate. In your original plan of limiting it by physical AP, fast users would be stuck having to be near the the 2 "fast" APs. With the SSID method, they can use any 4 APs and have the appropriate speed limit set

I'm not sure how your R600's are currently configured, but they do support the ruckus "unleashed" firmware - this allows all 4 APs to work together to act as one so clients can roam between them, and does not require a central controller. This would probably be easiest for your use case

Reactions: Spartacus

Navin

Dec 16, 2019
I think what they are trying to communicate is that it's much better to just create two (or however many) wireless network names (SSIDs), one for fast clients (like "laptop wireless"), and one for slow clients (like "cell phone wifi"). Both of these SSIDs would be available on all 4 access points.

In the ruckus config, you would then set your speed limits on the SSIDs themselves, like setting the Laptop Wireless wifi speed limit to ~400mbps or whatever, then limiting the cell phone wifi to ~10mbps etc. This way either client type can use any of the 4 APs they want, and their speed limit will be appropriate. In your original plan of limiting it by physical AP, fast users would be stuck having to be near the the 2 "fast" APs. With the SSID method, they can use any 4 APs and have the appropriate speed limit set

I'm not sure how your R600's are currently configured, but they do support the ruckus "unleashed" firmware - this allows all 4 APs to work together to act as one so clients can roam between them, and does not require a central controller. This would probably be easiest for your use case
I have 4 access points and they are in different SSID
1 for desktops
2 for pc laptops
3 for tablet/mobile
4 for guests(with lowest speed)

I want 1 and 2 to be fast but i dont know how much can i divide from my isp speed which is 200/50

In my head i want 1 AP to be 30download and 15load
2 AP to be 25 download and 20upload

3 and 4 APs can be around 12/8mbps

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
@Navin as you wrote, you might be a bit over your head here, but please bear with me.
I am not sure what Linksys you are using, but here is how I would set it up:
1. Enable QoS on that Linksys, create 4 queues, with descending priorities.
2. Based on subnets, classify your users to those queues.
3.Remember that web traffic is burstable, it is hard to properly police it without perceived degradation of speed.
4. Set up minimum speed level guarantee (for sustained traffic) at your comfortable level (queue 1 - 100mb, queue 2 - 50 mb, rest have NO guarantee, or any other way you like, this is just an example), so that when everyone and their mother are trying to go online, your 1 and 2 queues get that much speed and rest have to fight for what is left of the "pie".
5. Tweak as desired.