How many IPv4 do i need?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I am trying to get the Dell C6100 and my plan is to have 4 VMs on each node..making 16 VMs. I plan to run cloudstack or openstack to manage the VMs. How many IPv4 addresses do i need to get this thing done?

My colocation will be 3U, 2 amp @ 230 volt (460 watt) and i plan to have a Tripp Lite PDU and Cisco Switch on 1U one in front and the other at the back, and the Dell C6100 to occupy remaining 2U.

So how many IPv4 addresses will realistically get that done starting all the way from the uplink port.

Thanks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
i would look for a /27 if you can get one. if you got a /28 probably ok. are the VMs all externally accessible?

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
i would look for a /27 if you can get one. if you got a /28 probably ok. are the VMs all externally accessible?
It is something i am trying to do...and haven't done yet why i am asking. Also if you can please explain what is /27 and what is /28? I am asking because i am really not that sound in networking...yet....well the VMs will be running mostly web servers and a few backups.

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
It is something i am trying to do...and haven't done yet why i am asking. Also if you can please explain what is /27 and what is /28? I am asking because i am really not that sound in networking...yet....well the VMs will be running mostly web servers and a few backups.
See here Subnet Mask Cheat Sheet
/28 =13-14 usable IP
/27=29-30 usable IP

Remember you may lose up to 3 ips 1. broadcast 2.network ID 3. gateway (this one you may lose or not it all how your ISP sets up the network)

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
See here Subnet Mask Cheat Sheet
/28 =13-14 usable IP
/27=29-30 usable IP

Remember you may lose up to 3 ips 1. broadcast 2.network ID 3. gateway (this one you may lose or not it all how your ISP sets up the network)
Thanks for the link
So how many IP addresses do i need? I am thinking i will need 1 for the switch? 1 for each node as hosts and 1 for each VM? so making 1+(4x1)+(4x4x1) = 21 IPv4 ? Is that correct?

Also any link on how i can understand IP addressing, subnet masking and all those things? I mean something in simple terms to understand because i still dont get it.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
You won't get that many ips for vms with most isps, simply because of only so many remaining blocks. You will probably hear back that if you want a /27, you will have to order a 1/2 rack with it, instead of only the 3u you are thinking of right now.

trond

Jun 15, 2013
It depends what those VMs will do. If you plan on running websites on all 16 vms then they each need a public IP. If you plan on using them for something else you might be able to get away with using an internal network only accessible by your 4 hosts. You could even hook up the BMC NICs to the same internal lan and use VPN in for management. That would leave you only requiring one public IP. I'm guessing that's not the path you want to travel down tho. If you want all public and full management you'll need
16 (vms)
+4 (OS on each node)
+4 (BMC on each node)
which is 24 public addresses. Which is a 27-bit subnet, give or take a few ip addresses.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
But then again. Running 4 virtual servers on a single node with a website each is only required in very specific scenarios; for all others we got vhosts.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
But then again. Running 4 virtual servers on a single node with a website each is only required in very specific scenarios; for all others we got vhosts.
Multiple websites on each VM..like 5-10 websites each on a VM..other VM will be for testing and other lab work

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
You won't get that many ips for vms with most isps, simply because of only so many remaining blocks. You will probably hear back that if you want a /27, you will have to order a 1/2 rack with it, instead of only the 3u you are thinking of right now.
I have been told i can only have maximum 16 IPv4

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Seems like plenty to me. Keep ipmi on a private range and save 4 by doing so. Connect to them from another working node to troubleshoot the faulty one. If all 4 are dead there is probably nothing you can do with ipmi anyway.
All lab stuff on private ranges too with nat or a vpn. Throw in a virtual router VM with an easy web interface,,, Easy as pie.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Seems like plenty to me. Keep ipmi on a private range and save 4 by doing so. Connect to them from another working node to troubleshoot the faulty one. If all 4 are dead there is probably nothing you can do with ipmi anyway.
All lab stuff on private ranges too with nat or a vpn. Throw in a virtual router VM with an easy web interface,,, Easy as pie.
This is a really good point. IPMI NICs should sit on a private network that you access from VPN.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
That is not alot at all...we are talking 4 nodes meaning 4 full servers here. How is 16 IPv4 addresses a lot for 4 servers? Also imagine if i am trying to sell VPS or something..that is not alot at all.

Also you mentioned keep IPMI on a private range..the only problem is i have no clue how to do that or even how that will work. If you can help me out with some explanations or even a url to read up on..that will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
It is a lot considering normal/single co-location isn't really set up for high density hosting like with c6100's. You're mostly power constrained.

On the IPMI;
Set them up on a private range. Wire them to the switch on their own vlan.
Set up the 2nd nic on every node to the same range. Wire them to the switch on that very same vlan.
Done.

Or PTP;
Cross wire from nic2 on node1 to ipmi on node2, etc.
Done.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
It is a lot considering normal/single co-location isn't really set up for high density hosting like with c6100's. You're mostly power constrained.

On the IPMI;
Set them up on a private range. Wire them to the switch on their own vlan.
Set up the 2nd nic on every node to the same range. Wire them to the switch on that very same vlan.
Done.

Or PTP;
Cross wire from nic2 on node1 to ipmi on node2, etc.
Done.
Good thing is am not power constrained AND its in netherlands...1 amp = 230 watts...currently on 2 amp and can go up even more

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
I have never heard of vyatta router before...what function does it do? Do you use it currently?
Yes, I use it in many installations, small office, data center, core routers, home offices.
It's very flexible, there is a community versions, and a supported commercial version. Vyatta was purchases by Brocade last year.

Commercial: http://www.vyatta.com
Community: http://www.vyatta.org

In one of my Colo's I run a pair of Virtualized Vyattas in a cluster, each on a different vHost. As its a small installation I run the cluster as core routers and VPN aggregators, NAT and firewall.

Also Ubiquiti Networks has spun their Edge Router OS off Vyata, some of the Vyatta Devs have moved to UBNT. Their Edge Routers look promising, but it's a physical appliance.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Yes, I use it in many installations, small office, data center, core routers, home offices.
It's very flexible, there is a community versions, and a supported commercial version. Vyatta was purchases by Brocade last year.

Commercial: www.vyatta.com | Empowering SDN
Community: Welcome to Vyatta.org | Vyatta.org Community

In one of my Colo's I run a pair of Virtualized Vyattas in a cluster, each on a different vHost. As its a small installation I run the cluster as core routers and VPN aggregators, NAT and firewall.

Also Ubiquiti Networks has spun their Edge Router OS off Vyata, some of the Vyatta Devs have moved to UBNT. Their Edge Routers look promising, but it's a physical appliance.
So you mean i can just get the UBNT router and use it instead of getting a switch? I mean as i said i never heard of this vytatta/ UBNT router...so not sure if its like the next big thing or just some immature technology out there.
I actually saw their video with "cysco"...so are they going head to head with cisco now?

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
So you mean i can just get the UBNT router and use it instead of getting a switch? I mean as i said i never heard of this vytatta/ UBNT router...so not sure if its like the next big thing or just some immature technology out there.
I actually saw their video with "cysco"...so are they going head to head with cisco now?
I would use a switch, and either run your vyatta as a virtual machine, a physical machine, or one of their appliances ...