How fast do modern SSDs die: Upcoming test

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Mixed.

300GB in. The Pre-filled drive is down to 12MB/s while the drive that started empty is now at 25MB/s.

keybored

May 28, 2016
May have to pause periodically to make sure this is a valid test, as @T_Minus mentions above; otherwise the controller may not have any idle cycles available to it to run maintenance tasks. Although at this time it's probably too late to change the approach, so might as well see how far they get. I suppose they could be slowing down because all the maintenance activity that normally occurs in the background is being forced out into the open.

Also wondering if Samsung will exchange your drives under warranty... :D

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
May have to pause periodically to make sure this is a valid test, as @T_Minus mentions above; otherwise the controller may not have any idle cycles available to it to run maintenance tasks. Although at this time it's probably too late to change the approach, so might as well see how far they get. I suppose they could be slowing down because all the maintenance activity that normally occurs in the background is being forced out into the open.

Also wondering if Samsung will exchange your drives under warranty... :D
At 200TB they are resting every 100TBW for 30 min.

No worries on the warranty. I cannot even think what I might use something like this for.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Maybe if the drive failed before the advertised TB is reached.
unlikely, as that would mean the company ends up losing money. plus the 35tbw is kind of a lower conservative figure so I doubt it will happen before that number.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
let's get a go-fund-me started for this, our money is good in your hands and besides it's for science
Maybe if we expand the project significantly but hopefully unnecessary. $110 is fine for something I am personally curious about.

The delta between the 0GB pre-fill and 90GB pre-fill drives has grown.

0GB pre-fill is now at 600GB lifetime writes and 93% health.
90GB pre-fill is now at just under 400GB lifetime writes. 98% health.

Health figures based on the wear leveling count but both have 0 reallocated sectors.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Maybe if we expand the project significantly but hopefully unnecessary. $110 is fine for something I am personally curious about.

Health figures based on the wear leveling count but both have 0 reallocated sectors.
So the empty drive is 50% faster than the partially-filled drive. Do they both get the same IO pattern?

Edit: I realise you're writing the same data, reading the same data etc. What I mean is - are the performance graphs the same shape, with the originally empty drive just double the filled drive? Or does one or the other have significantly more consistent performance?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The write loops last quite a long time. So you see the first few minutes where the drives are pushing 200MB/s and look fast. Then you see the 90GB filled drive slow first but by 10 min in they hit a fairly steady state.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016

So that's 10TBW timetime for the zeru prefilled one? pretty weak conservative number.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is a little bit scary if you go by the wear leveling count. The wear leveling indicator seems to be going down much faster on the 0GB pre-fill SSD rather than the one with 90GB pre-filled.
upload_2016-10-4_17-13-13.png

keybored

May 28, 2016
This is a little bit scary if you go by the wear leveling count. The wear leveling indicator seems to be going down much faster on the 0GB pre-fill SSD rather than the one with 90GB pre-filled.
View attachment 3531
You're still seeing higher write speeds with the 0GB pre-fill drive, right? If that is case then I'd say this makes sense. This drive can churn through NAND much faster. The other one is slower and can't kill NAND as fast. The slower drive will also last longer, but since speeds are drastically different that comparison would not be fair. Have to judge by host writes.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
so the zero filled drive should last basically only for about 50 or so more days at current rate?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Depends on what "wear leveling" means. Still no reallocated sectors on either drive.

At the same reported drive writes I am seeing a very different figure for wear leveling.

keybored

May 28, 2016
Depends on what "wear leveling" means. Still no reallocated sectors on either drive.

At the same reported drive writes I am seeing a very different figure for wear leveling.
Have their speeds equalized or do you wait for the slower drive to catch up? Trying to understand how they can be at the same level of writes if the write speeds are considerably different.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Have their speeds equalized or do you wait for the slower drive to catch up? Trying to understand how they can be at the same level of writes if the write speeds are considerably different.
More that I take snapshots at write intervals. So at 1TB, 2TB and etc. They are not the same speed to reach those marks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea the 750 EVO drives have low endurance ratings.