home VPN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2020
hi all, does anybody have experience setting up a VPN access to a home network (will only really be for backups and, but also the odd file transfer)?

Thanks

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Yes, I had some experience setting up a VPN access to a home network.
openvpn.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Don't most internet gateways (isp provided, own, or firewall, whatever you run) provide this functionality nowadays?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I've been using softether for about 7 or 8 years now.
I think the performance is a little better than openvpn, and it runs on port 443 so it can sometimes work over networks that block vpns(for example, when I was going to china for work).
Can also use dns packets for VPN. It also works at L2 or L3, has vlan support...
There are clients for win/mac/linux, plus it can work as an openvpn server for IOS and android clients, as well as an ipsec/l2tp server.
I run it with a pi connecting back to my house from my parents that serves as my offsite backup location.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Given all you want to do is file transfer (I consider backup to be this too), you could consider forgoing a VPN and setup a server with SSH (without allowing password authentication), if SFTP works with your stack it will be a pretty nice simple solution.

If you have a pfSense firewall you could use the built-in VPN functionality in that, it is quite easy to configure (at least OpenVPN is).
But as Rand__ noted, VPN functionality is included in much other firewall/router software.

Jan 24, 2020
i have managed to get softether working, but only on bare metal, if i try in a virtual machine it connects but i can't bridge to the network.

Chris

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
i have managed to get softether working, but only on bare metal, if i try in a virtual machine it connects but i can't bridge to the network.

Chris
Can both confirm and deny-I had it working fine in a ESXi 5.x VM. When I migrated to H-V, it broke. H-V I seem to need to run it on bare metal and give it its own network adapter. I believe this is related to the difference in how the two do promiscuous mode, but I'm not sure.
edit: This post suggests it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.