Home Server (Plex, file storage, sync, etc) Need some advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Confused-again

Mar 12, 2022
I just had a Drobo Pro die on me with no recovery and wanted to go a different direction. I am a bit leery of the black box, but I know they work,

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I just had a Drobo Pro die on me with no recovery and wanted to go a different direction. I am a bit leery of the black box, but I know they work,
Drobo is notorious for recovery disasters due to using proprietary volume managers. QNAP using either ZFS or LVM-raid = both trivial to recover from.

Reactions: Markess

Confused-again

Mar 12, 2022
The Drobo lasted 13 years... Anyway, I really wanted a Raid 6 for storage, that does not seem like it will work, Looked at the QNAP, but wanted more processing power (for Plex), so onto the next.... Something will come together.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Plex doesn't require much processing power if you use hardware transcoding (needs Plex Pass). My plex is running in a NUC with a Celeron J3455.
As long as server/nas CPU supports Intel quicksync - you could run plex on it. I could've easily run plex server on my 872xt , but for now it's on a separate box. But if you want a seriously powerful NAS, there is this monster available :TVS-h1288X

Confused-again

Mar 12, 2022
I am already vested in this system, just need to finish it off... I can't afford to buy another unit at the moment.

Rootless

Thank you
Aug 9, 2021
Ok that makes sense, so the system boots with SMBus masked and doesn't boot without the masking. Makes sense that the option ROM doesn't run when SMBus is masked, hence it doesn't assemble the array. The SMBus trick can be sufficient if it's in HBA mode, where the option ROM isn't needed.

Perhaps a newer raid controller (3008?) or older board?
Have you tried running storcli.exe for Windows? It is command line, but very powerful. You can manage all of the settings for the RAID controller using it, while you are in Windows. This link might work: Broadcom Inc. | Connecting Everything
If not, try this one: Support Documents and Downloads You can download the software from the LSI/AVGO/Broadcom website.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

Confused-again

Mar 12, 2022
I may try those options in a "leftover" project (which is next). I plan on taking the leftovers and make a backup/backup server. Nothing great. maybe I will utilize the H710P there. I'll have to see what is left over.

Probably an older MB is what is needed. I thought about the SAS3008 cards, but they seem to support Raid 0,1,10 only. Though I think it would work.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@Confused-again , I know you've got a starting point plan, but a couple thoughts:

1. Windows can be limiting in terms of disk management, but you also don't want to have a Linux/BSD solution "live" if you aren't comfortable with it. So, getting something in place now with Windows and using the "leftovers" to experiment with is a great idea. When picking another OS to try take a look at what available tutorials and forums cater to your level of experience level. For example, there's a lot of pretty comprehensive tutorials on You Tube for both Unraid and TrueNAS, but I always thought the Unraid forum folks were more accommodating of users who are just starting out. Just my opinion. And believe me, if you don't want to give yourself a classic "start at the command line" education, you'll want to have tutorials and forums at your disposal.

2. What SATA card did you order? There's some SATA controllers that have stability issues under Windows. Most all have work-arounds, but I suggest you do a google search on the actual SATA controller chip for your card, just to see if anyone has had any issues.

I updated and installed all the drivers for the Motherboard from the Gigabyte website, except a preinstall sata/raid driver which confused me because this motherboard does not have onboard raid.
Most modern motherboards have some sort of BIOS/UEFI based disk aggregation that they call "RAID". Some people call it "Fake RAID", but it still gives you some sort of RAIDlike functionality. It only works with the motherboard's onboard ports though, so you can't have more disks than onboard ports.

I thought about the SAS3008 cards, but they seem to support Raid 0,1,10 only.
LSI/AVAGO/Broadcom/Whatever they are called this week controllers generally (always?) have either an "entry level" I/O Controller (IOC) or a more advanced onboard Raid-on-Chip (ROC) Controller. For hardware RAID 6 in the older generations, you'll need an ROC based controller. For example, the SAS2208 controller in your H710P is a ROC, so should support RAID 6 (if it was happy in your system). SAS3008 is an IOC, so won't have hardware RAID 6. For hardware RAID 6 with that generation chip, you'd need something with a SAS3108, 3316 or 3324. I've found this thread to be super helpful understanding this https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/ especially post #148 and the spreadsheet on post #147.

Cheers!

Confused-again

Mar 12, 2022
I looked around at options. Tried to find something that would work. Resilio seems to be the biggest issue. Needs to run Plex/tv card, some sort of remote access, I have some auto shutdown software connected to the UPS, UniFi network controller, probably a couple things that I cant remember right now. Also, all these get updated regularly, so updating should be simple or automatd. Seems like I run into issues almost every direction I go. Windows, even with its limitations, seems to work - minus the damn H710P.

The motherboard I have does not have onboard Raid. I have been down that avenue a couple times (a while ago) and that is the part that failed. Twice.

As for a newer card? Maybe. Just too expensive at the moment.

But appreciate the input.

Reactions: Markess