Home AIO & ESXi/Dev

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
It's on my list to get done today, at the bottom... got other business stuff that's more important. LIKE invoicing clients :)
Haha, I guess I was more anxious than you to find out the exciting conclusion of hopefully that's the issue :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
LOL, trust me I'm anxious too. I want to get this up and running, and get my other stuff sold got a lot of float going on at the moment :)

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
LOL, trust me I'm anxious too. I want to get this up and running, and get my other stuff sold got a lot of float going on at the moment :)
Yea tell me about it, sold my workstation parts then spent 3 weeks down waiting on server upgrade since I was rotating that board into workstation.
Now waiting on recovery software scanning my shattered raid array, 24 hours and we're at 50% so I'm trying to live vicariously here and want some good news

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
It seems to never end when we upgrade with deals ;) LOL!!

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I retire @ year 2000 to guide my "almost high school dropped out" son , for next 4 years, I had not purchase one item from Newegg or other retailers. Recently, I checked my Newegg order history, year 2005 , I purchased exactly 2 items.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I'm afraid to check my NewEgg, eBay or Amazon orders, last I saw on amazon it said "36 items pending delivery"... LOL!!

Ebay is the killer... "good deal"... ok BUY BUY... wait, great deal, buy 5!! LOL

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I'm afraid to check my NewEgg, eBay or Amazon orders, last I saw on amazon it said "36 items pending delivery"... LOL!!

Ebay is the killer... "good deal"... ok BUY BUY... wait, great deal, buy 5!! LOL
Here's my rule, fixed budget for this stuff every year so I have to think hard if I need it. Or if its replacing something I will sell the original to cover costs. This makes me very disciplined when it comes to resisting deals. Either buy what I need, or figure out a way to fund it

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Back on track.

I stuck a 40mm fan on the LSI chipset.

I have some Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm coming, as I don't see the point in using my NOCTUA 40mm for this!!

Booting into windows now to update firmware, and test.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Back on track.

I have some Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm coming, as I don't see the point in using my NOCTUA 40mm for this!!

I have a bunch of fans salvaged from bad video cards etc for this exact purpose, never know when you're going to need to cool a chip set somewhere. Older CPU heatsinks and fans also good, I got a box of them. Sometimes if I can figure out a clip mount, super glue dabbed on 4 corners of the chip works well too

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Back on track.

How did you attach the fan?

I have an LSI with a passive heatsink on my supermicro motherboard (X10SL7), and now that I'm using it to control some drives, it's getting awfully hot. My first thought was to use a large fan mounted on the case to get high CFM at low noise and then use some kind of reducer to direct higher speed air at the passive heatsink. I'm not sure if there are reducers available for that purpose though.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
How did you attach the fan?

I have an LSI with a passive heatsink on my supermicro motherboard (X10SL7), and now that I'm using it to control some drives, it's getting awfully hot. My first thought was to use a large fan mounted on the case to get high CFM at low noise and then use some kind of reducer to direct higher speed air at the passive heatsink. I'm not sure if there are reducers available for that purpose though.
These chips don't need a ton of air, a smaller breeze over it is fine. If you want to mount dedicated fan, you can get some small wood screws at Home Depot and mount those small 30-40mm fans to the heatsink, that's what I did for the LSI 9260 I have

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I don't think Supermicro to LSI is really crossflashing as supermicro just brands the cards, there's no customization other than vendor ID from what I can tell. If you grab the same dated version from LSI as supermicro, run MD5 on both and if they match you know its the same thing.
When I flashed my SM SAS2LP-H8IR it was the LSI firmware and that's it. Onboard controllers on SM boards seems like they are just hardwired to the PCI-e lanes nothing special. My X8DTE has same BIOS as X8DT6 with onboard LSI and DT6 is missing a PCIe slot which is taken up by the controller

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
These chips don't need a ton of air, a smaller breeze over it is fine. If you want to mount dedicated fan, you can get some small wood screws at Home Depot and mount those small 30-40mm fans to the heatsink, that's what I did for the LSI 9260 I have
Which fan do you like the best for that purpose?

In some ways I'd prefer attaching a better heatsink to it (if nothing else something with much taller and more peg-like fins), but I'd worry I might destroy the chip underneath while removing the factory default heatsink. I have no idea whether it's even removeable.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Good to know.

I'll report back.

FWIW - My fan is just "sitting" there right now. I'm planning to find some screws to put into the Heatsink fins just for pressure to hold the fan in place, I may also make something if I can't get it how I want it...

OR

I might throw a larger fan (120mm) above the LSI & other Chip near it to keep them booth cooler.

I'm also going to checkout the mod stores for a taller heat sink, should work much better.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Firmware Update WORKED!

It's also an "ONLINE" update, no reboot required!

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Which fan do you like the best for that purpose?

In some ways I'd prefer attaching a better heatsink to it (if nothing else something with much taller and more peg-like fins), but I'd worry I might destroy the chip underneath while removing the factory default heatsink. I have no idea whether it's even removeable.
I just use whatever small fan I have on hand, mostly older SocketA or Slot 1 left overs. If there's some sort of clip or mounting bolts then its pretty easy to remove, otherwise be very careful as it may be attached with thermal epoxy and removal could damage chips

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I just use whatever small fan I have on hand, mostly older SocketA or Slot 1 left overs. If there's some sort of clip or mounting bolts then its pretty easy to remove, otherwise be very careful as it may be attached with thermal epoxy and removal could damage chips
Ironically, all the heatsinks seem to have a mechanical mounting system, except for the one that's getting really hot!