Home AIO & ESXi/Dev

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ironically, all the heatsinks seem to have a mechanical mounting system, except for the one that's getting really hot!

Mine are mounted with clips too. I'm looking for replacement / taller ones so I can swap them before putting this in the final resting place (SuperMicro 3U). I need to get some measurements, and then do some Googling :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
For some reason the RAID6 array (~13TB usable) is showing up in windows as 2.xTB and 11.xTB, I can't access/use the 11TB but I can the 2TB.

Any idea why this would occur?

I don't plan to use Windows for my NAS/OS but am curious...

EDIT: It looks like Win made me delete the 1 x 2TB volume, then click "CHANGE TO GPT" then it combined them into1 large VD.

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
For some reason the RAID6 array (~13TB usable) is showing up in windows as 2.xTB and 11.xTB, I can't access/use the 11TB but I can the 2TB.

Any idea why this would occur?

I don't plan to use Windows for my NAS/OS but am curious...
MBR or gpt?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Looks like you posted as I was editing :)

Now to figure out how to work SSD Cache, it's greyed out but I'm not sure why... maybe because no SSD was found?

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Small screws and just bolt the small fan to the fins on the heatsink
Thanks. That will be my fallback plan.

It turns out I have a Zalman FB123 laying around that I've never used, and so maybe now's the time. Here's a photo that shows what it looks like:

This way the fan floats above where it's needed. I'm not sure it will reach far enough to reach above the hot heatsink on the X10SL7, but I read just now that it can also support a 120mm fan, in which case it might. I'd prefer something with more cross-bracing (preferably something that spanned over the motherboard from one side of the case to the other), if there is such a thing, so that it's not just hanging on the end of a long arm. Anyhow, it might be worth giving it a try.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well do you have a SSD?
Haha, yes. Just snagged a 160gb S3500 from the pile to attach and see if it matters.

RAID6 performance so far is terrible. I actually think my Synology software raid6 is faster. But then again I just did a quick RAID6 setup to test, I'll post the configuration (LSI) and hope to optimize it better. Well going from 512KB Stripe to 64KB Stripe and 64KB NFS improved it a little. Not really in the performance RAID6 testing mode, too much other stuff to do... will post up on this, and configure it 'awesome' for the new chassis :D

What size SSD do people normally use for Cache drives?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
FYI GOOD TO KNOW:
Maximum CacheCade Capacity per Controller 512GB

SSD Installed.

MSM detects SSD.

SSD for Cache option still "GREY".

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
It would appear to me that CacheCade is not included in the SM motherboard. I need a key to install/activate it is my thought.

Fast Path, and Cachevault are enabled with RAID5/6 but not CacheCade 2.0 :(

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Wonder if you could wipe the Supermicro SBR and flash it to a true LSI and get that feature. How dare they make us pay more for features?!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
LSI cards require the hardware chip or software key too :(

I got hardware on ebay cheap for the Intel LSI cards, now if we only had the 'software' key for cheap too :)

I found a 30 Day Trial I'm goign to test to see if it activates.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I'm surprised hardware RAID6 would have bad performance, my MDADM RAID6 is pretty fast and hardware should be even faster

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
FWIW - The trial key enables CacheCade, but it's only 1.0 (It doesn't say 2.0)

Looks like might need to update some other stuff, and get a "real" software key, unless I can find someone to trade me an Intel hardware key for a software key.

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
FWIW - The trial key enables CacheCade, but it's only 1.0 (It doesn't say 2.0)

Looks like might need to update some other stuff, and get a "real" software key, unless I can find someone to trade me an Intel hardware key for a software key.

Todd
What's difference between v1 and v2? I'm guessing hardware key is that iButton
Thing?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
IIRC V2 enables write caching and that was it. I could be mistaken, but I really didn't have any interest in write caching... Or, maybe that was 2.0 vs 2.0 Pro. Time to check again!

I also am curious if you can setup multiple cachecade SSD pools for different arrays on the same controller. If so, that would save PCI-E slots by letting me cache not only my RAID6 but my RAID10 on the same controller. HMMMM

Last edited: