High CPU temps on new AIO build

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by whitey, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

I wonder that also, recently accidentally ordered a 5V one for my XeonD system. It works fine, but my expectation that it would be less noisy is not true - or its not pwm controlled after all, at least it never turns down. Have not delved deeper since the board is still on the bench and real life catched up...

2. alex_stief

alex_stief Active Member

Wouldn't a 5V fan plugged into 12V just spin incredibly fast...until it either goes up in smoke or blows the bearing?

Tha_14 and Rand__ like this.
  3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Hm that might explain things:eek:

4. Peanuthead

Peanuthead Active Member

@whitey - I have a broken (BIOS is flaky) X10SL7 if you need it for parts, testing, etc. Yours for the cost of shipping.

5. whitey

whitey Moderator

Thanks for the offer, all seems calm on the home-front once I added the 40mm Noctua cooler, probably need to find a better way to attach but for now simply setting on top and blowing down is doing the trick, came down to my least desirable solution, which is more of a band-aid fix but I don't have time to mess with this anymore.

Thanks all for the great input and rapid response!