HGST ZeusRAM Z4RZF3D-8UC - $200 BO accepted

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
At $260 or $300 I'm still like :eek:
I thought I got a deal getting a couple years ago at well over 2x haha.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So was I - until i saw my perf results :p Still think I made a mistake there to be honest, but couldnt find time to retest yet

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I don't think those numbers derived were anything to scoff at though if memory serves me correct. Just not quite where you wanted them.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
:) Maybe true.
Probably just the expectation that was sky high since it (used to be) the ultimate slog.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah ya kinda have to keep in mind though...you are comparing two devices several generations apart...the ZeusRAM is what, 7-8+ yrs old, in its heyday it was THE SLOG device champ...super low latency/good throughput (w/ respect to where the industry was)/highly reliable/consistent performance...time/technology marches on and now we have NVMe, they are probably poised to be better SLOG devices at this point long as the endurance/PLP/consistent/sustained low latency is there but the ZeusRAM will never be a slouch for 'most' workloads that it is providing write caching for off a pool of damned magnetic disks :-D

ZeusRAM DRAM is fast right but if your bottleneck is SAS interface (plus network back to SAN in most scenario's) NVMe trumps on PCIe fast track/super-highway!

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
A little off topic, but @whitey what do you think about using a ZeusRAM device as a SLOG for an all SSD (inexpensive TLC) mirror?

This it will provide any improvement to wear characteristics? Performance is great, just worried about drive lie.

Thanks

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Very few consumer based SSD's lies when the OS sends the ATA_CMD_FLUSH/ SYNC command to the drive. What usually happen is that consumer based SSD's starts stalling and performs poorly. A ZeusRAM will improve the SYNC performance for consumer based SSD. It is just that, two mirrored enterprise SSD's would be more cost efficient.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks @BackupProphet

I'm using 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO's (zfs mirror, only data storage used) in a single proxmox server for my home lab. Works great performance wise just wanted to see if a ZeusRAM SLOG would provide any tangible benefits for my use case.

2x enterprise SSD's would have been best, at the time of purchase I got a really good deal and didn't consider the TLC vs MLC for my server and was just looking at the $$$

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Theoretically it will, but when you get into heavy write where it will provide benefit even with the SLOG those EVOs will eventually run like a dog in the mud.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
Theoretically it will, but when you get into heavy write where it will provide benefit even with the SLOG those EVOs will eventually run like a dog in the mud.

Time to shop around I think.

I've done 25% overprovision to aid in dog slowness :D

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
What do you mean shop around? @Monoman

IMHO I wouldn't waste $$ on a ZeusRAM to use it with Samsung EVO or other consumer drives. Spend that $$ on getting 2x 400GB enterprise drives and have a little cash left over potentially. 4x Enterprise in 2 mirrored vdevs > consumer drives with bling slog :)

Reactions: Monoman

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
What do you mean shop around? @Monoman

IMHO I wouldn't waste $$ on a ZeusRAM to use it with Samsung EVO or other consumer drives. Spend that $$ on getting 2x 400GB enterprise drives and have a little cash left over potentially. 4x Enterprise in 2 mirrored vdevs > consumer drives with bling slog :)
Shop around meaning looking for enterprise SSD's. My two 850 EVO's are a 1TB variant so best case would be to find 2 960gb + (only have 2x sata 6 on my SM server board)

We're way off topic now, thanks everyone. Sorry to derail

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Very few consumer based SSD's lies when the OS sends the ATA_CMD_FLUSH/ SYNC command to the drive. What usually happen is that consumer based SSD's starts stalling and performs poorly. A ZeusRAM will improve the SYNC performance for consumer based SSD. It is just that, two mirrored enterprise SSD's would be more cost efficient.
Concur