HGST HSH721414AL42M0 14TB SAS 4Kn $88 or less

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Define "modern". Are bugs in btrfs really that common?
So far these drives worked EMC KTN-STL15, Supermicro SC837 (SAS2 with multipath) and only one of my NetApp 4243, which I believe is more recent than the others.

Are bugs in btrfs really that common?
With Zoned I/O, btrfs functionality is broken in some cases. You can write once and read many times but delete does not work most of the time.

Reactions: Samir

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
guys for less hassle there are still 14TB Toshiba's that are CMR for $79 including shipping from these guys:

Toshiba MG07SCA14TE 14TB 7.2K 3.5" SAS 12Gbps 512e 256MB Enterprise HDD *Grade B (techyparts.com)
This is amazing price, no sales tax as well. Pricing on this site is weird. Everything else is super expensive:

And the above listing is not accessible from their hard drives page. Very strange.

Edit:

I tried to create an account on the site; it didn't work. Contact forum is also not working. Seems like not well maintained site running on legacy web platform,

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I tried to create an account on the site; it didn't work. Contact forum is also not working. Seems like not well maintained site running on legacy web platform,
i noticed same thing. Wondered if it was an old ad or something.
ime a lot of these companies are so busy that their web sites are not regularly able to keep up with their ebay, etc. But you can call them and do business that way. I can't use these drives, but they seem legit and they have a lot in inventory according to their site so would be interesting to know how an order goes.

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
So far these drives worked EMC KTN-STL15, Supermicro SC837 (SAS2 with multipath) and only one of my NetApp 4243, which I believe is more recent than the others.

With Zoned I/O, btrfs functionality is broken in some cases. You can write once and read many times but delete does not work most of the time.
No, i meant the HBA you're using. Since you said it needed to be "modern"

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
No, i meant the HBA you're using. Since you said it needed to be "modern"
For HBAs check datasheets for each hba for hm smr support. You need at least SAS3 era cards but not all sas3 era hbas support hm smr.

Each card is different and an explicit firmware support is required afais.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
<techyparts>
That's weird, I created an account a week or two ago and it worked fine (and I have the drive running on my system now). Their website is indeed from 1999 or so, you are emailed your account info and password in the clear after you register.

Reactions: Samir and Bert