HGST Flashmax iii 2.2TB ssd $128

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
god damn it I just bought a BD-RE drive for my M4500

Not that I have much use for a drive like this, it's PCIe 2.0 x8 and I only have a 3.0 x4 lane.

Reactions: Samir

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
I bought one of these and am excited to use it, but does anyone have a low-height PCIe adapter for it? Or any cheese plate type universal adapters?

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
oh and does anyone have access to recent drivers/firmware? I don't trust the ebay seller and would like to wipe the card clean using RHEL/Rocky to prep for my esxi box.

Thanks!

Edit:

A few updates -
  • The retro HGST site forwards to the WD site and does not have the driver/utility
  • I entered my serial number into the WD and could not make progress
  • I've opened a ticket with WD, but I'm not expecting much
  • I've messaged the ebay seller
  • I found a support email address for hitachi vantara and sent them a note
  • This STH thread has links to v5.4 - Does anything newer exist?

Updates v2:
  • hitachi vantara got back to me! But they can't find the product
  • Interesting note during the Win10 driver install process: The installer has very specific CPU requirements
  • I just realized the seller shipped me the 1tb model "VIR-M3-LP-1100-1A" :( off to get them to ship me the right card.

Last edited:

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
Missed this one - But I'm looking to pickup a larger SSD for a cache drive on my unRAID box.
I see the same seller has the FlashMAX II version (VIR-HW-M2-LP-2200-2B) for about the same price... I don't immediately see anything in the specs that scares me off...

I'm swapping out a PCI-e card w/ 500gb NVME drive but it's in an older Supermicro X9SRL-F board and I think It'll be fine with the PCI 2.0 speeds. Trying to beef up my Cache drive size for running a couple more VMs as well as I have a tendency to copy over 500GB-1TB file batches, and the slow write speed to the array is really annoying when I've got a 10Gbe fiber link.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I'm swapping out a PCI-e card w/ 500gb NVME
HGST Flashmax does not support nvme proctol. It is a pcie ssd, needs its own driver.
I do not believed UNRAID has driver support of HGST flashmax anywam.

UNRAID support multipule cache pool, cache pool for docker and VM, another cache pool for the pool.

Stick with NVME or SATA ssd. There are 1.92tb NVME SSD for less thane $110.
Yesterday, picked up a Smansung PM983 1.92tb NVME ssd for $85

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
Stick with NVME or SATA ssd. There are 1.92tb NVME SSD for less thane $110.
Yesterday, picked up a Smansung PM983 1.92tb NVME ssd for $85
I do realize the PCI-e SSD is not the same as NVME. I currently have a PCI-e to M.2 adapter card installed to run the 500GB NVME drive. My older board doesn't have native M.2 support.

I do like Samsung NVME drives - got a link to where you got yours or tips on where I can snag one? I'd be very happy with that option as well.