HGST 60 Bay (12Gbps) HDD Restrictions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

schwartznet

Feb 7, 2018
Anyone have one of these and can confirm if they are locked to SAS only? I know they are supposed to be locked to WD, HGST or sandisk drives.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l16002.jpg

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Correct, G3 has not come up.

But a quick search for the item reference number points to WD where you find

"

Highlights

• Up to 60 Ultrastar HDDs (SAS or SATA)
  • Up to 1.2PB1 raw capacity in 4U using forthcoming 20TB SMR HDDs
  • Hybrid support for data acceleration tier with SSDs (SAS or SATA) in up to 24 of 60 drive slots
  • Dual-port SAS for high availability or single-port SATA for low cost
  • Enterprise-grade redundant and hot-swappable PSUs, I/O modules, and fans
  • 5-year limited warranty
"

schwartznet

Feb 7, 2018
Thank you all for your help. I ordered one and will confirm next week what it does or does not support!

kapone

May 23, 2015
I don't have an HGST disk chassis, but I do have two Chenbro NR40700 48 bay top loaders. The problem (I suspect with all of them) with these top loaders is that the temps of the HDDs increases as the depth/row of disks gets higher.

The front most row will easily be at ~32C, at a certain fan profile let's say. But at that fan profile, the last row is easily 20C higher than the front row. Which requires running fans at really high RPMs to cool the last row. But then the front row is too "cold" at less than 28C...

I like to keep my disks at 35-40 overall, and ALL of them. It is very difficult to do that with these top loaders. With the Chenbro cases, I achieved that "somewhat" by keeping front fans slower and the mid plane fans slightly faster, which keeps all 48 disks at ~38C. But because of the speed differences in the push/pull configuration, I get a regular (~10minutes or so) "buffeting" of the airflow. When that happens, it sounds like a misfiring car... :) although it doesn't affect the disks. I've learnt to live with it...

familybot

Jan 14, 2020
I've got 5 of these sitting new in boxes. I plan on selling 4 of them but I want to do a proper unboxing video first. It'll be a few weeks before I get to it though. (Assuming I'm still here after running a 220V line.)

I can't give you any first-hand knowledge but I've been perusing the manual (Ultrastar Data 60 User Guide) and on page 22, under Compatible Drives, it lists several SATA drives.

Edit: SATA @ 6Gbps as Rand__ stated above.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
I've got 5 of these sitting new in boxes. I plan on selling 4 of them but I want to do a proper unboxing video first. It'll be a few weeks before I get to it though. (Assuming I'm still here after running a 220V line.)

I can't give you any first-hand knowledge but I've been perusing the manual (Ultrastar Data 60 User Guide) and on page 22, under Compatible Drives, it lists several SATA drives.

Edit: SATA @ 6Gbps as Rand__ stated above.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was there any more progress on determining what happens with non HGST drives?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
For which Gen?
For the old one (1) you could install an older FW that runs them fine, for the newer one (G2) I dont think so (ie they probably don't run).

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
For which Gen?
For the old one (1) you could install an older FW that runs them fine, for the newer one (G2) I dont think so (ie they probably don't run).
So, I just brought this unit online and I'm struggling to "talk" to it via the management interfaces.
Appears to be REV A5

IMG_6444.jpg

I also realize it's communicated to using SG3_TOOLS, and has no GUI or "simpler to use" interface.

However, I just ran with what it did when powered up and I was able to blast data to/from it at amazing speeds using just a Windows 10 PC and two HBAs with 4 cables and using Windows RAID0 striping.

If you have any idea where I can go to get the WDDS(?) tools and other ways to manage it, I would love to hear about it.
I haven't been able to use any of the advanced features of the unit due to this limitation.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
When I had G1 ones i was able to get everything from HGST after registering.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
When I had G1 ones i was able to get everything from HGST after registering.
I registered two weeks ago and still have no replied from there.
Emails have also gone unanswered :(

I may have to call them