EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Any idea where to find the rails for this chassis? Or maybe a universal rail that is compatible?
Ok i finally got the railkit,
But i can't figure out how to install it.
The manual says i need to remove the inner rail. But i cant seem to do it,
it's extending but then it's stuck at that position (2nd pic) even with latch pressed
Imgur

Is it supposed to be like this? If so how would i install the rails onto the enclosure? Can't imagine something this heavy easily slide in.. anyone with mounting experience care to enlight me?

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
Looks like the chassis needs to be dropped down from the top, when the rails are extended.

Dell has the same kind of rails.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Looks like the chassis needs to be dropped down from the top, when the rails are extended.

Dell has the same kind of rails.
Hmm i don't know, the manual says it has to be pushed in from the front side

Imgur

But i'm not sure if the chassis could lock in just by sliding it like that, can anyone verify?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Page 43 - but I think to remember it was difficult with the white buttons

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Finally figure it out! I thought it was the metal clasp, didnt notice the white latch with arrow near it! Thanks Rand_!

Reactions: Rand__

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Hmm after several HDDs dying i'm not sure if non-spinning HDD is immune to blackouts.. I've had 3 HDDs dying on me this year already, and it always happens after blackout.
The host server always gets shutdown first, so theoretically the HDD shouldn't be spinning.
But once the UPS drained off, the rack loses power without proper shutdown..
There's still absolutely no way to gracefully shutdown the rack huh?

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm
I've been cutting power to mine several times in the last months due to some maintenance or other and did not have a single issue with the drives...

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
By maintenance you mean adding / replacing drives? I never had to turn it off when doing so

Well to be fair, the dying hdds were already 3-4 years old.. so age is probably a factor too.. I just find it odd that it always happens after blackouts.
Could also because stablebit scanner detects it late too..

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No, maintenance on the host and or power cables/distribution or when i checked my second box.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Actually I am not, the second one is not up, just needed to run a few tests and was too lazy to set up a secondary physical box just for that.
But electricity is up the roof nevertheless, but thats another discussion :D

Puppetfreek

Nov 17, 2014
A year ago I started asking around if anyone was able to run anything else than HGST branded drives in these. The conclusion from this forum, and many of the sellers (eBay and others) seemed to indicate that there was limitation in place with the brands of drives you could have running - this was also mentioned in the documentation. Some of the sellers actually tested this themselves, with various Seagate drives they had laying around. Back then, they confirmed that they (the Seagate drives) did indeed not work with the HGST 4U 60. This was true for the GEN1 - GEN3.

For the people that run these at home, are you only using HGST branded drives? Or have you had difference experience than the above?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It depends on the firmware, older ones do run other drives - at least thats the case for the G1

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
A year ago I started asking around if anyone was able to run anything else than HGST branded drives in these. The conclusion from this forum, and many of the sellers (eBay and others) seemed to indicate that there was limitation in place with the brands of drives you could have running - this was also mentioned in the documentation. Some of the sellers actually tested this themselves, with various Seagate drives they had laying around. Back then, they confirmed that they (the Seagate drives) did indeed not work with the HGST 4U 60. This was true for the GEN1 - GEN3.

For the people that run these at home, are you only using HGST branded drives? Or have you had difference experience than the above?
i have gen 1 unit, firmware 0210. i can use seagate 10tb disks. tried with 4 seagate 10tb

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Actually I am not, the second one is not up, just needed to run a few tests and was too lazy to set up a secondary physical box just for that.
But electricity is up the roof nevertheless, but thats another discussion :D
Is your rack full btw?
I'm thinking of getting for a new UPS with longer backup time, so that at least the rack can hold up during blackouts
what specs would you recommend if i want like 3+ hours backup? Assuming the rack is full

Gen1 here. Never used seagate brands since they have bad reps on backblaze's reports,
HGST and WD drives only

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Is your rack full btw?
I'm thinking of getting for a new UPS with longer backup time, so that at least the rack can hold up during blackouts
what specs would you recommend if i want like 3+ hours backup? Assuming the rack is full
Full and Full are different things ... you know physical size might not be related to (peak) power draw.

You should try to get a rough feeling for what you use everyday vs peak vs minimum config for blackout times.

I upgraded recently since I was not happy with runtime and now have a SMX1500 + extension and a secondary SMX2200 (I got relatively cheap), but have not properly distributed things yet.
The 1500x (with extension) claims 1:30 runtime at current 50% utilization.
Depending on your draw it might take quite a bit to cover 3hrs ... maybe consider an optional blackout plan (running most important services on less boxes)

Reactions: denywinarto