Here's a $1.3k switch for you: 18x 40Gig QSFP and 40x 10gig SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bacterialbag

Jan 24, 2015
Again;

I am very interested in buying such a switch, but I need to know if it does RDMA with Mellanox Connectx-3 Pro VPI?

Any luck getting RDMA to work using mellanox cards? Does SMB direct function properly?

Would u have any reason to advice against buying such a switch?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Bacterialbag

bacterialbag

Jan 24, 2015
Was glad to help. I consider it a small token of thanks for you running the site/forum.

BTW, I don't really need the GS0018. It's a fun toy but running a 40gbe backbone between servers in my garage really is bit over the top even for folks that frequent here. If anybody needs or wants an 18x 40gbe Gnodal switch I'm open to offers ;)
I probably want one, if the thing does RDMA with Mellanox ConnectX 3 VPI nicely?

Can anyone confirm they got Mellanox + Gnodal working with RDMA / SMBdirect whatever?

Alecsa

Oct 9, 2014
Hello,

Could someone help me with the latest firmware for Gnodal GS4008 ? Now I have 2.6.1, and the lastest seems to be 2.6.4.
Many thanks for any information about this upgrade

Naveen Chouksey

Mar 6, 2015
Hi,
I have a Gnodal switch. I am trying to enable LLDP, can some one please help me. How to enable LLDP in a Gnodal switch ? I am not able to find a user manual for this switch.

Thanks in advance

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I have this set per-interface:

Code:
interface Ethernet 0/71
  no shutdown
  lldp tlv-select basic-tlv port-descr sys-name sys-descr sys-capab
  lldp tlv-select dot1tlv port-vlan-id protocol-vlan-id all
  lldp tlv-select dot3tlv macphy-config link-aggregation max-framesize
I think that's everything under LLDP turned on.

Here's what I see on a Juniper EX4200:

Code:
> show lldp neighbors interface xe-1/1/1.0
LLDP Neighbor Information:
Local Information:
Index: 5 Time to live: 120 Time mark: Fri Mar  6 20:18:42 2015 Age: 0 secs
Local Interface    : xe-1/1/1.0
Parent Interface   : ae0.0
Local Port ID      : 754
Ageout Count       : 0

Neighbour Information:
Chassis type       : Chassis component
Port type          : Interface alias
Port description   : Eth0/71
System name        : gnodal

System Description : Gnodal Network Operating System (GNOS) (GS0018) Version 2.6.4 Copyright (c) 2008-2013 by Gnodal Inc

Reactions: Patrick

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I have this set per-interface:

Code:
interface Ethernet 0/71
  no shutdown
  lldp tlv-select basic-tlv port-descr sys-name sys-descr sys-capab
  lldp tlv-select dot1tlv port-vlan-id protocol-vlan-id all
  lldp tlv-select dot3tlv macphy-config link-aggregation max-framesize
[/CODE]
Also, at the global level:

Code:
set lldp enable
lldp notification-interval 30
lldp chassis-id-subtype chassis-comp gnodal

Reactions: Patrick

cc121

Aug 18, 2013
I have a small server farm of C6100's and I'm considering picking up a couple of Gnodals to upgrade from 1GE to 10GE. Anyone using these with C6100's and have some suggestions on cards for the C6100 nodes and cables?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
The cheapest route (and most reliable) would be to purchase the $25-30 Mellanox 10GbE cards if you are not using up the slot. Since the boxes come with both brackets, you should be set. Copper cable is cheapest. Depending on how many nodes you have, the 4008 model with QSFP breakout may be cheaper than 4 individual cables. The 7200 is nice if you have a lot of nodes.

cc121

Aug 18, 2013
That sounds good, is that Mellanox a Mezzanine slot card? I am using the mezzanine slot for the RAID card currently. Do you have a link to the card by chance? Thanks!!

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
For future reference, it appears that Gnodals don't always behave right when port-channel/LACP state changes occur. TL;DR: do 'shut / no shut' on the Gnodal Ethernet interfaces and possibly also the port-channel interface, and sanity will return.

Setup: I have a few Juniper EX4200 in a virtual chassis setup, basically all stacked together and managed like one switch. I originally added a 2x10G LACP link between my Gnodal 0018 and two Junipers, and it worked fine.

Last week, I added a couple more ports to the LACP link, and discovered that (a) both switches thought that all links were up and negotiating correctly, and (b) I had lost the ability to talk to ~half of the servers across the link. I ended up shutting down the new links (in software, on the Juniper end) and everything returned to normal.

Tonight, I rebooted the Juniper switch with the turned-down LACP links, and *all* traffic across the LACP link stopped flowing. Again, both ends showed LACP negotiating correctly, with 2 active links. I deleted all of the non-active LACP configs from both ends; still no traffic. What fixed it was shutting down both of the underlying Ethernet interfaces on the Gnodal and then turning them back up. As soon as I did that, the link popped to life. Once that was done, I was able to re-add the additional pair of interfaces and everything seems to be working properly, with more bandwidth.

This looks like a pretty clear Gnodal bug to me, and obviously it's not going to get fixed in a future software update. Hopefully this won't happen every time I have to reboot a switch.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I just bought a GS4008 (but not really cheap compared to you : 1500$)
But it's on 2.6.1 firmware. Someone has the 2.6.4 firmware here ?

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I connected a PC to my Gnodal GS4008 with a chelsio CC2-S320E-SR card.

I used :
- A generic copper DAC cable (from fiberstore)
- generics SFP+ transceivers with a LC/LC OM3 fiber cable.

In both cases, the CC2-S320E-SR negociate connection at 1.4 Gbit/s !!!

I don't know where to search for see why it can't go to 10 Gbit/s.

The PC run under Windows XP 32bits. It could be the issue ? I will try the next week to have a newer PC under Win7 or Win8 for testing purpose.

With a Win8, i will able to test a Chelsio T420-CR and see i it's the same result or not.

If someone was already faced in the same issue, any help is welcome !!

Best regards,
Sébastien.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
After googled, it seems to be an issue from WinXP that report 1.4Gb/s for 10Gb/s NIC.
I will test with a more uptodate os.

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Is anyone using 1G Base-T SFPs? I'd like to know if one could also hook up some legacy devices which only have Base-T ports.
Also do any of you have experiences to share in regards to power consumption under partial load?

Jerry

Jun 2, 2016
after screwing around with the switch for a couple of hours it's all setup.

I even managed to get one single QSFP to hookup to 4 different 10GB servers with the octopus cable.

The Gnodal switch is a bit strange. It requires multiple reboots to flush the settings through and get working.

For example, changing the setup of a QSFP port from QSFP to 4 times 10GB individual connections requires rebooting the switch.

It's nice bit of hardware for the price. Lacks a bit of polish on the CLI but otherwise seems solid.

The only thing that doesn;t work is connecting to the mgmt interface from the switch fabric. I doubt that was meant to work tho.

Jerry

Jun 2, 2016
What the comand to change vthe setup of a QSFP port from QSFP to 4 times 10GB individual connections?

Thanks Jerry