Help with noise and fans

Discussion in 'Chassis and Enclosures' started by Hetz Ben Hamo, May 16, 2019.

1. Hetz Ben Hamo

Hetz Ben Hamo New Member

Hi,

I purchased a "killer" combination: Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ motherboard (I didn't know it was an EE-ATX) and Supermicro CSE825TQ-740LPB chassis. I've installed Noctua NH-L9X65 on the CPU's. The Chassis fans are the standard Supermicro 7000 RPM fans

I checked the following:
    • I used ipmitool on the Linux in this machine to try setting the lower threshold to something like 300,450,600. I tried also with higher numbers (those Noctua fans can reach 2500 RPM) on FAN-A and FAN-B - but that only created loud noise from the chassis fans.
    • I've set the fans to Optimal and the IPMI. Didn't help much.
    • I asked Supermicro Tech support for any lower RPM fans, they only have 6300 RPM fan as compatible with this chassis.
    So my question: Is there any way to make this chassis silent? my apartment isn't big and the server is located in a room which I cannot close it's door, and I need this server to buy as much silent as possible.

Thanks