Help unlocking/erasing Toshiba/Kioxia KHK6XLSE1T92 SSD drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Have several of those SSDs from no longer aviable PureStorage server that are security locked, from which I do not need the data and I am incapable to unlock.

I am going to attach photos so you can see, but hdparm doesn't work nor sedutil so... I'm looking for help or the the fiwmware (maybe an upgrade can solve this).

One of the drive's label:

As you can see, no PSID on the label and sedutil says that it isn't Opal compilant:

1676502543969.png

This is the hdparm -I result:

1676502576041.png

65534 I think means that no master password is set and as you can see it says that supports enhaced erase but it gives an I/O error or a serie of HEX numbers depending of the system on which I did test.

And I've tried to change the password with --user-master m and --user-master u with no result:

1676502631054.png

Triying with 32 spaces didn't work when triying to erase it with hdparm either.

None of the aviable (or at least the ones I found) Toshiba/Kioxia utils detect it. Maybe there is one for this serie, but couldn't find it.

I am pretty much out of ideas and google-fu

Last edited:

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky
Does this drive have a PSID on it somewhere? Sorry, I didn't read the thread close enough.

If you try the drive in truenas and run sedutil-cli --scan, does it give you any indication it is locked? I had to use a H310 in IT mode for my locked drives for sedutil to work.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Does this drive have a PSID on it somewhere? Sorry, I didn't read the thread close enough.

If you try the drive in truenas and run sedutil-cli --scan, does it give you any indication it is locked? I had to use a H310 in IT mode for my locked drives for sedutil to work.
Thanks for your answer. I've been doing all the testing with a h330 (it mode),

Sedutil only spams info about if it is Opal compilant or not
1678781404110.png