Help Silence SuperMicro Server Fan Array

Discussion in 'Chassis and Enclosures' started by Churchill, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Peter Jay

Peter Jay New Member

I have a fix that will very likely work and cost you nothing except time. And will make things non-standard, but the fans will probably never wear out this way. Wire 2 fans in series - disregard all but the red and black wires (tape the ends of the other one or two) and wire two fans at a time this way: connector black wire -> black wire fan1 | red wire fan1 -> black wire fan2 | red wire fan 2 -> connector red wire (use only one motherboard fan connector for 2 fans). If you do this with the pigtails that run from the motherboard, the fans will STILL be hot-swappable (!). If you're careful, you can still revert to the original wiring.

Leave at least 1.5 inches of wire outside the connector so you can re-do if a fan goes bad or if you need to re-strip the insulation. You will have a now-spare motherboard connector pigtail left over.

Fans will always run the same speed but will be much quieter, and because they are running half-voltage, will probably never wear out. I have done this many times with other devices that have noisy fans, when I'm sure that the machines will never run too hot even at 1/2 fan speed.

Will try this with my Supermicro case and fans in a bit and hope to report back with results. But I'm betting this is a good fix.

Follow-up: Yes, this worked. Needed to set the fans to full speed in BIOS (old X7DBU mobo, btw) but all is working fine. I just re-wired the middle two fans and unplugged the other ones. This server will be very lightly loaded, so I don't anticipate any CPU overheating - the CPUs (2 dual-core Xeons) only have heatsinks, no attached fans. System is much quieter.

And yes, I'm willing to take the consequences if a fan fails. But at half speed, the fans will probably outlast the rest of the system.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Tha_14, TDJ211 and Marsh like this.
  2. Churchill

Churchill Admiral

I'd rather spend the $30 and buy 3 new fans and put them in with them working than hack the shit out of my fans and lose my entire system.

3. azev

azev Active Member

I keep reading these "make my case quieter thread", but I am stuck with the higher speed fan especially during the summer cause things get super heated where I put the computers, and I just have to put a earplug when I am near them hehehe.

4. vangoose

vangoose New Member

Being there.
    I use a whisper quiet chassis for controller, adding a 8-disk mobile rack for SSDs. connect to an external 846E16 storage chassis (replacing the PSUs with Super quiet ones). The whole setup is relatively quiet and cool.

5. TommyL

TommyL New Member

Good job. Were you able to just pop the 0074L4 fans into the original housings? Or did you have to do any modifications?

My CSE-826 is screaming like a jet on full afterburners, need to do something about this.

Regards

Tommy

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  6. Churchill

Churchill Admiral

the fans 'fit' into the original housing AFTER you cut away a bit of the original fan shroud to make room . It's a bit of a pain in the ass the first time but after fan 10 it's cake.

TDJ211 and TommyL like this.
  7. TommyL

TommyL New Member

8. Churchill

Churchill Admiral

I wanted stock SM Fans to "Just Work" with my server without any hacking including fan control. I've done this mod 10+ times on 4 servers. Between this mod and getting the SQ+ PSU's my servers make pleasant white background noise and nothing more.

TommyL likes this.
  9. TommyL

TommyL New Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will probably go the same route. :)

10. nthu9280

nthu9280 Well-Known Member

Actually, you can simply swap the housing without any cutting. There is a small snap-on clip. Pop it open remove the screamer. Do the same with quiet fan. Swap it and put the respective clips back on.

TommyL likes this.
  11. TommyL

TommyL New Member

Thanks for the tip! Will try :)

12. TDJ211

TDJ211 New Member

I just got done replacing the screamers with the FAN-0074L4's on my SC826 and wow what a difference!

I previously had the original fans connected with some spare Noctua low noise suppressors in line to keep the noise down. I had fan speed set at Standard. Problem was when turning off the AC during the day and heading to work, my HD temps would creep higher (~39C) than I would like (I like to keep my temps below 35C). Ive yet to do a proper scrub on my FreeNAS VM, but I imagine it would push it over 40C. I figure it's cheaper to replace the fans than have to keep my AC on all day while im at work.

Its a lil tricky at first figuring out how to get that lil clip that holds the connector off without breaking it. Practice on the green housing first, once you see how that pops off, you'll know what to do with the white housing. Once you get that sorted its very simple. There is one corner where the old housing is indented and you'll have to snap off the plastic on that corresponding corner of the new fan to get it to fit. I just took some pliers and snapped that lil bit off (came off real easy) and the new fan slid right into the old housing.

Once you get through the first fan, the rest of are super easy. It took maybe 10 mins to do the other 2 fans.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    TommyL likes this.