Hasivo S600WP-5GT-2S+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
I would say it's fine in general and bordering on excellent considering the price paid (I went through TaoBao/Superbuy which made it ridiculously cheap at the time). It's not an enterprise switch in terms of features and useability, but once you've gone through and set it all up you largely won't have to refer to the UI again and it just chugs away doing its thing. The VLAN interface I found painful at the start but now I know its quirks I can get what I need done relatively quickly.

I'm about to try plugging a 7m DAC into it so I can imagine that will dilute my positivity slightly, but for now I can't see why you wouldn't buy this or any of the rebranded versions of this model. I will consider moving to the TP-Link SG2210XMP-M2 once it becomes more widely available to get Omada management in line with the rest of my switches, but two Hasivo switches cost me ~£190 whereas the TP-Links will probably be £200+ each so it's not going to be a rapid change.

Reactions: blunden

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
I didn't initially upload the firmware update I got since it wasn't clear whether it was just for testing or not, but it now sounds like they probably won't send another one. Therefore it's probably fine for me to upload it.

This is for the L2 managed S600WP-5GT-2S+_SE (also labeled as S600WP-5GT-2SX-SE on the box).

EDIT: To clarify, this is the firmware that aims to improve DAC support. See the backstory and more details here. :)

EDIT 2: Warning: The firmware above makes IPv6 support worse by seemingly removing it from the CLI and hiding it even more from the web UI.

For instance, I can no longer see the link-local address of the switch by uncommenting parts of the HTML response, instead receiving "here omit the ipv6 info.". The commented out web UI for enabling SLAAC, DHCPv6 or setting a static IPv6 address and gateway is still there, but I don't know whether it still works or not since I don't currently run IPv6 inside my network due to lack of IPv6 support from my ISP.
Tack for det! I'll see if I need the 5m setting, I'm going to try a 7m "Cisco" DAC.

Have you thought of sending your firmware through to the folks working on the OpenWRT implementation to see if there's anything they can discover from it? As you found there aren't (m)any firmware updates floating around so more info may help.

IPv6 is still a crapshoot generally, I have to allow it on my IoT network because otherwise my Nest Protects complain they can't find each other. *sigh*

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Tack for det! I'll see if I need the 5m setting, I'm going to try a 7m "Cisco" DAC.

Have you thought of sending your firmware through to the folks working on the OpenWRT implementation to see if there's anything they can discover from it? As you found there aren't (m)any firmware updates floating around so more info may help.

IPv6 is still a crapshoot generally, I have to allow it on my IoT network because otherwise my Nest Protects complain they can't find each other. *sigh*
Varsågod! :D

Yeah, you will probably need that setting. :) I'm thinking that the way it usually works in more expensive switches where the firmware is more polished is that the switch will try to read the programmed length of the DAC from the cable's EEPROM and then apply a configuration adapted for that length. These different length "profiles" that Hasivo added as options in the firmware they sent me are apparently provided by the Realtek SDK.

I'm currently in the process of reading the 2700+ post long thread on the OpenWrt forum where developers are/were working on implementing support for the RTL838x, RTL930x and RTL931x series of switches. I'm roughly 1700 posts in and I've learned a lot.

Something that became clear early on though is that one of the very active and knowledgeable developers must've had some kind of falling out with the rest of the team as he removed both his GitHub and his forum account. Thankfully he had submitted most of his code up until that point in a large pull request to OpenWrt from what I understand, so all that work wasn't lost. It still hasn't been merged though from what I can tell.

What is missing for our Hasivo unit is support for Hasivo's own PoE chip that they used in our switch.

At this point, I don't think the compiled firmware necessarily provides much extra information. Maybe for the PoE chip. One thing that is kindbof nice about these switches based on the Realtek SDK (which most Realtek switches are, even the Ubiquiti, HP, Dell, etc. ones that happen to use Realtek switch chips) is that they have a CLI command that gives you details about how the hardware is set up. That's apparently enough to get a device tree going and usually to build a mostly functional OpenWrt build if you pull in the required Realtek platform support patches for your particular chip.

The reason I mentioned IPv6 in this context was because it appeared to be functional before, but simply hidden. I think they hid it because they had problems where it prevented users from changing the IPv4 address if they didn't also set the IPv6 address, presumably because the latter was set as a required field or something. The code was simply commented out so you could reveal it again, and the settings were still available in the CLI for those who wanted them. Now they've been removed from the CLI and the switch nu longer reveals its Link-Local IPv6 adress. :(

Reactions: zipityzi

Matt84

Jun 2, 2016
My understanding is that the management interface of the newer S600WP-4GT-2SX-SE model is also slightly more limited in terms of features, but I don't own one so I'm not 100% sure that's the case. You should confirm that yourself. On the other hand, it has lower power consumption, is significantly cheaper and possibly handles DACs better. I was considering buying one myself for that reason. :) If I didn't already have the S600WP-5GT-2S+_SE (also known as the S600WP-5GT-2SX btw.), I probably would have.
Thanks Blunden. I've purchased one and it is in transit. Once I get it I will let you all know how well it worked for me, and detail the config I'm using it in.