Hasivo S600WP-5GT-2S+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

snoopy78

Dec 24, 2023
just got my S600WP-5GT-2SX_SE with FW 1.0.0 as my christmas present ....which firmware you are running? is there a solution to the 10G SFP+ already? I was planning to use copper 10G modules.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
just got my S600WP-5GT-2SX_SE with FW 1.0.0 as my christmas present ....which firmware you are running? is there a solution to the 10G SFP+ already? I was planning to use copper 10G modules.
I'm not at home to check the firmware version on mine.

Solution to what? It only has a problem with longer DAC cables. Anything other transceiver that does active signaling should work fine. Note that copper 10GBase-T modules can get pretty hot due to their higher power draw, so keep that in mind. My fiber module that draws a fraction of the power already gets pretty hot to the touch on the switch side.

latezx

Apr 23, 2020
I'm not at home to check the firmware version on mine.

Solution to what? It only has a problem with longer DAC cables. Anything other transceiver that does active signaling should work fine. Note that copper 10GBase-T modules can get pretty hot due to their higher power draw, so keep that in mind. My fiber module that draws a fraction of the power already gets pretty hot to the touch on the switch side.
Indeed, no issues - firmware:

1703479161465.png

I went with Wiitek SFP+ to RJ45 Copper Modules (Amazon) with no issues so far.

snoopy78

Dec 24, 2023
thank you for the fw info and the info about the other things...

currently i have my 1G fiber ISP connection at my basement and the firewall and all other stuff is at my 2nd floor), i do have CAT7a cables in the house, so 10G by copper is no issue here (already used some test equipment from work to check the cabling).

because my ISP had some issues with my firewall, i had to use a AVM Fritzbox at the ONT and then connecting via 1G copper to my firewall. (so basically it's NAT behind NAT) => no issues so far, all my services are reachable by IPv4 from outside

Now i have the option to change from 1000/500 Mbit to an 2500/1250 MBit ISP connection for an reasonable price. And that's why I asked my wife to buy the Hasivo in china.

I plan to connect with Hasivo Port 1 2.5G RJ45 down to the new fiber AVM (2.5G LAN too), then Port 4 will use a 10G SFP+ RJ45 module to connect to my firewall (which has only 10G RJ45 interfaces) this 2 ports will be inside a dedicated VLAN just for the internet connection.
Hasivo Port 5 i actually planned to use also 10G SFP+ RJ45 but can use AOC cable (active optical cable, similar to DAC) or DAC cables here, with a length between 1m and 2m, so basically short length.

The other 4x 2.5G Ports may hold my new storages, or some unify APs (i could reconnect them from my netgear ms510txpp) but actually i currently don't need 2.5G LAN Ports to my APs. (before i had d-link dwl-x8630aps capable of 2.5G LAN link)

basically, i only need a basic part of the functions, but it must run stable

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Hasivo Port 5 i actually planned to use also 10G SFP+ RJ45 but can use AOC cable (active optical cable, similar to DAC) or DAC cables here, with a length between 1m and 2m, so basically short length.

basically, i only need a basic part of the functions, but it must run stable
Don't expect passive DAC cables longer than 1 meter to work with this switch. An AOC or active DAC cable should probably work though.

I would only use 10G RJ45 where you absolutely have to. It's objectively worse, both in terms of significantly higher power consumption as well as higher latency. Filling both SFP+ ports with 10GBase-T transceivers might possibly cause overheating issues, although that's just a guess on my part.

snoopy78

Dec 24, 2023
today i've installed in my firewall an old HP NC523 DUAL SFP+ NIC, so no need for 10G RJ45 modules anymore....currently running a 1m passive DAC with no issues, need to see how it goes for some time

Reactions: blunden

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
I got myself the S600WP-4GT-2XGT-SE for Christmas (the model with 10G RJ45 instead of SFP+).

I had to open it up today (it has a DUMB/WEB switch which is very difficult to move when it's in the DUMB position, and I want to setup some VLANs).

In Rohit's review of the S600-5GT the chipset heatsink is partially covered by the PoE daughterboard. I'm surprised that in my model this is mostly obstructed. I guess this is OK - nothing's overheated so far. At least there are (thick) pads under all the heatsinked components.

S600WP-4GT-2XGT-SE__2.jpg

S600WP-4GT-2XGT-SE__5.jpg

S600WP-4GT-2XGT-SE__4.jpg

ETA: It's a shame that only the 2.5G ports have PoE. It's expensive to buy multigig injectors & at least one 10G PoE port would have been fantastic.

Reactions: blunden

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I got myself the S600WP-4GT-2XGT-SE for Christmas (the model with 10G RJ45 instead of SFP+).

I had to open it up today (it has a DUMB/WEB switch which is very difficult to move when it's in the DUMB position, and I want to setup some VLANs).

In Rohit's review of the S600-5GT the chipset heatsink is partially covered by the PoE daughterboard. I'm surprised that in my model this is mostly obstructed. I guess this is OK - nothing's overheated so far. At least there are (thick) pads under all the heatsinked components.

ETA: It's a shame that only the 2.5G ports have PoE. It's expensive to buy multigig injectors & at least one 10G PoE port would have been fantastic.
Is it based on the same platform as the model with 2 SFP+ ports? If so, I guess they might've decided on a single 10GBase-T port due to thermal constraints.

The reason they don't have PoE on the 10G port is presumably because that would require them to develop a new PoE board (and possibly bigger changes to the main PCB), instead of simply reusing their existing one.

Where did you order it from btw? I only find references to it on Taobao. :)

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Is it based on the same platform as the model with 2 SFP+ ports? If so, I guess they might've decided on a single 10GBase-T port due to thermal constraints.
It's 4x2.5Gb + 2x10Gb. They've just weirdly spaced the 10Gb ports.

Where did you order it from btw? I only find references to it on Taobao. :)
It's AliExpress, but I've found the switch selection from New Zealand is much better than USA and Europe.

I got the 4+2 PoE for US$112 at Christmas, and it's currently US$122 after discounts.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
It's 4x2.5Gb + 2x10Gb. They've just weirdly spaced the 10Gb ports.

It's AliExpress, but I've found the switch selection from New Zealand is much better than USA and Europe.

I got the 4+2 PoE for US$112 at Christmas, and it's currently US$122 after discounts.
Oh, I see. It may be using a different hardware platform then, possible the newer Realtek platform also used by the cheap unmanaged switches from YuanLey, Davuaz, HiSource, etc. but in this case with management and PoE added on top. :)

If that's the case, I wouldn't necessarily expect your switch to have much in common with the older model we've been discussing here. Something to be aware of if things don't match up with earlier posts in this thread. :)

I'd be interested to see what the management UI looks like though? Also, hearing about your experience with that switch model would be interesting, as well as any firmware bugs you come across.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
The firmware seems functionally & visually identical, which is why I commented here. I got 1.7 firmware.

I was on this thread looking for pictures of the innards so I could see how similar the hardware was.

1000002714.jpg

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
The firmware seems functionally & visually identical, which is why I commented here. I got 1.7 firmware.

I was on this thread looking for pictures of the innards so I could see how similar the hardware was.

View attachment 33406
Interesting.

The reason I'm thinking it might be based on the newer platform is that the older platform usually had enough bandwidth for 5x2.5G + 2x10G, while the newer platform is usually used in 4x2.5G + 2x10G configurations due to it's slightly lower switching capacity (but lower power consumption). It's hard to tell from the AliExpress listing though and Hasivo's product page isn't any better. I suppose there could be other reasons for leaving out the 5th 2.5G port. :)

Does it have the same firmware bugs (broken SSH, etc.) too? :D

pmeyer

Jan 1, 2024
I picked up a couple of these to drive a pair of unifi u6+. Seem to be working fine. At first, port 1 POE was a bit flakey (delivered power to u6+, but no network). Disconnected/reconnected a few times and it seemed to work. Based on advice above, switched to port2.

It seems like port1 is "special"? Supports "BT" and "HiPoE"? ports 2-4 are just AT/AF? Could be the cause of the initial issues.

Also: any clue what "PoEDog" enable does? My googling has come up blank...

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I picked up a couple of these to drive a pair of unifi u6+. Seem to be working fine. At first, port 1 POE was a bit flakey (delivered power to u6+, but no network). Disconnected/reconnected a few times and it seemed to work. Based on advice above, switched to port2.

It seems like port1 is "special"? Supports "BT" and "HiPoE"? ports 2-4 are just AT/AF? Could be the cause of the initial issues.

Also: any clue what "PoEDog" enable does? My googling has come up blank...
Yes, port 1 is special in some way and that's probably why it's a bit buggy sometimes in terms of PoE. The rest have been solid for me. :)

I'm not sure what PoEDog is, but my guess is that it might be a PoE watchdog feature that will automatically power cycle the device connected to that port if it stops responding to pings or something like that. I haven't tested it to confirm if that is indeed what it does, but it's the kind of feature I've seen on other PoE switches/routers.

EDIT: Yes, it seems my guess was accurate, based on this quote from the product listing linked below:

Product listing said:
Have PoEdog function that when PoE is on, the switch can achieve real-time detection on powered devices. And the switch automatically sets the ports and then restores PoE power supplying to make no duty come true.

Last edited:

pmeyer

Jan 1, 2024
Yes, port 1 is special in some way and that's probably why it's a bit buggy sometimes in terms of PoE. The rest have been solid for me. :)

I'm not sure what PoEDog is, but my guess is that it might be a PoE watchdog feature that will automatically power cycle the device connected to that port if it stops responding to pings or something like that. I haven't tested it to confirm if that is indeed what it does, but it's the kind of feature I've seen on other PoE switches/routers.

EDIT: Yes, it seems my guess was accurate, based on this quote from the product listing linked below:

Ah, that makes sense. I just enabled it, as sometimes (even with port2) my unifi u6+ would get power but no network connection (flashing blue on the u6, no lights on the port). Seemed like a potential race condition between powering up and negotiating connection.

I haven't played with it much, but I'm hoping a poe watchdog timer might help and won't hurt.

There are no configuration options I could see to set the "up" detection or timeout, but if it power cycles after a while if there is no negotiated connection it should help what I was seeing. Everything is up and working now, but I had to replug the cable several times to get it to connect.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Ah, that makes sense. I just enabled it, as sometimes (even with port2) my unifi u6+ would get power but no network connection (flashing blue on the u6, no lights on the port). Seemed like a potential race condition between powering up and negotiating connection.

I haven't played with it much, but I'm hoping a poe watchdog timer might help and won't hurt.

There are no configuration options I could see to set the "up" detection or timeout, but if it power cycles after a while if there is no negotiated connection it should help what I was seeing. Everything is up and working now, but I had to replug the cable several times to get it to connect.
I haven't been having any issues with connection negotiation for my Unifi AC-LR AP so far, but I haven't rebooted the switch more than a handful of times so far.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Digging around a bit in the firmware, I noticed that it contains some hidden menus:

/oem_set.html - Upload a new logo for the UI.

/system_set.html - Modify the default system details, specifically:

Company Name
Company Link
Copyright Year
Device Mac
Factory Sys Name
Factory IP Addr
Factory Netmask
Factory Gateway

I have not tried if they actually do anything. Note that you need to be logged in before accessing those pages.

This is in Realtek/Switch Version 3.2.0 -- Sat Apr 22 20:00:14 CST 2023
This information might turn out to actually be useful in some cases, not just a curiosity. :D Based on a customer review of one of their other switches seemingly using the same management UI (e.g. S600WP-4GT-1SX-1XGT-SE) suggests at least some of Hasivo switch models all ship with the same hardcoded MAC address, which can obviously be problematic if you try to connect more than one of them to the same network.

Assuming the /system_set.html menu actually works, it should solve that problem.

I tried to somewhat sneekily mention this in the form of a question to people who had already bought it in the "Buyer Questions & Answers" section but unfortunately it just throws an error. Oh well, at least I tried. :)

Reactions: 2bluesc

FragRot

Feb 18, 2024
I can copy files from flash to tftp server but I can't copy files from tftp server to flash. Any idea how to copy files from tftp server to flash?

Attachments

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
As suggested in another thread, creating a user called root actually fixes SSH for all user accounts. That's kind of funny. :D