H12SSL-I BIOS and Firmware Update with SUM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

osrk

Sep 2, 2019
It seems they've changed up how they update the BIOS an firmware. I wanted to get some confirmation on how to do the update. I believe it's the same process even with SUM.

Downloading the package from

I get two directories with the BIOS and the IPMI firmware. For the BIOS I load this on a USB drive and boot into the UFEI shell and run the following command with the correct parameters filled in

fs0:\> flash.nsh [BIOS ROM FILE] [BMC USERNAME] [BMC PASSWORD]

And for the IPMI I can still update via the web interface correct? Also in which order should I update? BIOS first or IPMI first?

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
IPMI first.
BIOS goes over IPMI too.
SUM just uploads the bin to BMC flashdisk, and lets BMC do the job.

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
I was always updating firmware on both : IPMI (more specifically BMC) and BIOS - via WEB UI
(including promoting into Golden Image on resiliency actions)
checked couple of times SUM too since it was part of download but decided not to bother because it was much quicker via regular GUI.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It seems they've changed up how they update the BIOS an firmware.
How/In what way?
There were always multiple ways to flash bios & ipmi firmware: via dos, efi, web (impi) or os specific sum (via ipmi to a remote system or directly via drivers to the local bmc)

Edit: sum has some undocumented parameters that are really helpful, you get them often when you contact the support about boot/flashing problems

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
There were always multiple ways to flash bios & ipmi firmware: via dos, efi, web (impi) or os specific sum
dos is not anymore from X12/H12 and up. the tools just upload the BIOS to a flashdisk(BMC) and let the BMC do the job.
means without working BMC there is NO way to update BIOS.