Green vs Red redux.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Just checked, the Synology seems to show everything to be clean. Reallocated sectors is a 0.

I'm now thinking the Asustor was misreporting. Damn.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Confirmed. Asustor has an issue with the Reds. Ran the Reds in a Synology for a while, and then in my Sever 2012R2 box running StableBit Scanner. I left Scanner to check the drives almost constantly, and it found nothing. Stuck the Reds back in the Asustor and within an hour it was reporting bad sectors again. :(

Asustor needs to address their SMART reporting - it's wrong, plain and simple. I've confirmed it's misreporting the WD50EFRX and it's also misreporting Seagate ST4000DM000 drives as faulty when they aren't.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Asustor is a spin-off company started by some ex-Asus employees, similar to AsRock. Just as QNAP was started by some ex-Synology people.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'm impressed that they can get away with having asus in their name without approval. Maybe its an advantage of being in Taiwan.