Good case for silent Avoton NAS/Media Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
That's a SFF-8087 to SATA forward breakout cable plugged in to a M1015 HBA.
Thanks for pointing that out. :) Is 4 SATA's per breakout cable the practical limit, or do some breakout cables accomodate up to 8 SATA drives per SAS connection? I tried looking on NewEgg, and 4 seemed to be the maximum, assuming I was searching correctly.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for pointing that out. :) Is 4 SATA's per breakout cable the practical limit, or do some breakout cables accomodate up to 8 SATA drives per SAS connection? I tried looking on NewEgg, and 4 seemed to be the maximum, assuming I was searching correctly.
There are only 4 Phy's on a SFF8087 port... to run more than 4 drives require an expander to multiplex for you.

Reactions: NeverDie

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Anything like this with an SAS backplane? Then there'd be less need for all those cables. A number of MB's now come with SAS built-in.
Not seen anything in this form factor with a SAS backplane, think you generally have to get rackmounts to get those. For what it's worth, the cabling on this SATA one is pretty easy and it's an "active" backplane (i.e. you still get drive activity lights) even if it doesn't support SGPIO (at least I didn't see an obvious connector). The 8087 cables that came with my case are thin and silver and look vastly easier to wrangle than the red ones in that pic.

That said, if you only need the four drive bays the CFI case is probably much cheaper. The silverstone case is too but I tried one of those and didn't like the wobbly drive trays.

Edit: just re-check the spec and the U-NAS site says it's a combo SATA/SAS backplane; I don't have any SAS drives to test with however.

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I'd recommend Fractal Node 804 as a candidate as well, very innovative design and price is at a reasonable $99 and takes ATX PSUs. It's mATX and mITX compatible with a innovative hard drive vertical mount cage that allows 12x3.5" drives + 2x2.5" drives installed

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Edit: just re-check the spec and the U-NAS site says it's a combo SATA/SAS backplane; I don't have any SAS drives to test with however.
If it turns out that it is a SAS backplane, then assuming you had a SAS controller (either on the motherboard or, as pictured, on a card), then would you then need only one SAS cable to connect to it (from SAS controller to SAS backplane)? i.e. one cable instead of eight? i.e. it would just extend the SAS to the backplane, either as a kind of bus extension or as a SAS-to-SAS connector? That's all I meant by my original comment, but not having actually done it, perhaps it's more complicated than that.

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
If it turns out that it is a SAS backplane, then assuming you had a SAS controller (either on the motherboard or, as pictured, on a card), then would you then need only one SAS cable to connect to it (from SAS controller to SAS backplane)? i.e. one cable instead of eight? i.e. it would just extend the SAS output to the backplane, as a kind of bus extension? That's all I meant by my original comment, but not having actually done it, perhaps it's more complicated than that.
I would be skeptical if it's a full on SAS SFF-8087 to 8087 backplane, especially if they also claim it to be SATA. While yes you can run SATA drives on SAS controllers with a true SAS expander backplane, you can't do the opposite, that is if you have only SATA ports (from motherboard etc) and the backplane is SFF-8087, you're completely hosed unless you get an HBA/RAID Card.
This is actually really annoying in the industry as there's no convention to properly call a chassis/drive cage to describer if it has individual drive ports, has expander function or something else...

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I was curious so I looked into that U-NAS case a bit. There's almost no real technical information at all about it on the official web site (never a good sign), so I turned to a google image search to try and find a close-up picture showing any connectors or large chips on the backplane board. From what I found it is just a pass-through backplane, with 8 standard SAS/SATA ports on it. You could connect it with 8 cables to a SAS controller (or 2 SFF-8087 breakout cables) and run SAS or SATA drives. Or you could connect it to a SATA controller (same cable options - yes there are SATA controllers with SFF-8087 ports) and use only SATA drives.

chinesestunna: You can connect from 4 SATA ports to a SFF-8087 connector on a backplane using a reverse-breakout cable. It's not uncommon to see SATA backplanes with SFF-8087 ports especially as you get up into larger chassis eg. a 24-bay 4U rack-mount. You cannot connect a SATA controller to a SAS expander (though you could use a SATA port-multiplier), but you can't assume anything about SAS vs SATA or the presense/absense of expanders/port-multipliers based on the type of connector alone.

Reactions: NeverDie

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Reactions: chinesestunna

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Regarding the OP and the desire for silence/quiet. Maybe put your MB in a fanless case but connect to one of these using eSata or USB3.0? It can allegedly be configured as JBOD:

Amazon.com: Mobius™ 5-Bay FireWire 800, eSATA, USB 3.0 RAID Hard Drive Enclosure: Computers & Accessories

i.e. maybe separating MB heat from HDD heat would mean less heat per case, and so fewer CFM's per case and therefore (theoretically) quieter than putting it all in one box? Anyone here tried it, or something similar? Also, that configuration would utilize two smaller psu's (one is included in the Mobius), and so again, possibly a quieter configuration?

It seems to be gathering praise on amazon, including praise for being quiet. Seems like its trayless nature would be very handy for juggling backup drives....

P.S. Nice catch on the shell shocker! Is it as "silent" as some of the other Fractal Designs cases purport to be?

Last edited:

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Regarding the OP and the desire for silence/quiet. Maybe put your MB in a fanless case but connect to one of these using eSata or USB3.0? It can allegedly be configured as JBOD:

Amazon.com: Mobius™ 5-Bay FireWire 800, eSATA, USB 3.0 RAID Hard Drive Enclosure: Computers & Accessories

i.e. maybe separating MB heat from HDD heat would mean less heat per case, and so fewer CFM's per case and therefore (theoretically) quieter than putting it all in one box? Anyone here tried it, or something similar? Also, that configuration would utilize two smaller psu's (one is included in the Mobius), and so again, possibly a quieter configuration?

It seems to be gathering praise on amazon, including praise for being quiet. Seems like its trayless nature would be very handy for juggling backup drives....

P.S. Nice catch on the shell shocker! Is it as "silent" as some of the other Fractal Designs cases purport to be?
I suppose the advantage of the U-NAS passthrough, though, is that there's just less in the path between the motherboard and the drive that might be poorly implemented. I mean, with the Mobius, what benchmark would you need to run to convince yourself that throughput or latency hasn't been compromised because of intervening layers? On the other hand, that approach does tend to pre-judge it, and the review evidence seems mostly very positive. I'd be more concerned with the reviews were fewer in number and/or less positive.

It's a pity that customer reviews which refer to how quiet something is almost never utilize a decibel meter to quantify actual sound pressure levels. In that sense, unless it's been reviewed on a silent PC forum, it's hard to really know unless you order one and try it yourself.

Last edited:

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I was curious so I looked into that U-NAS case a bit. There's almost no real technical information at all about it on the official web site (never a good sign), so I turned to a google image search to try and find a close-up picture showing any connectors or large chips on the backplane board. From what I found it is just a pass-through backplane, with 8 standard SAS/SATA ports on it. You could connect it with 8 cables to a SAS controller (or 2 SFF-8087 breakout cables) and run SAS or SATA drives. Or you could connect it to a SATA controller (same cable options - yes there are SATA controllers with SFF-8087 ports) and use only SATA drives.

chinesestunna: You can connect from 4 SATA ports to a SFF-8087 connector on a backplane using a reverse-breakout cable. It's not uncommon to see SATA backplanes with SFF-8087 ports especially as you get up into larger chassis eg. a 24-bay 4U rack-mount. You cannot connect a SATA controller to a SAS expander (though you could use a SATA port-multiplier), but you can't assume anything about SAS vs SATA or the presense/absense of expanders/port-multipliers based on the type of connector alone.
Is it reasonable to suppose the SATA passthroughs will passthrough SATA III, or might they pass-through only SATA II (3Gbps or less instead of 6Gbps)?

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Is it reasonable to suppose the SATA passthroughs will passthrough SATA III, or might they pass-through only SATA II (3Gbps or less instead of 6Gbps)?
It's a good question and I'm afraid there isn't an easy answer. As I said earlier there is no spec that I could find saying what speeds it has been designed for / tested at. It reminds me of another thread from around here recently asking about SATA cables and what to look for in high-quality ones - for both cables and these passive backplanes there isn't really any specific thing to look for. From the close-up pictures of the backplane that I was able to find on google all of the traces connecting the cables to the drives are nice and short and reasonably far away from the traces delivering power so I would guess they would probably have no problems running at 6G speed (SATA III / SAS II), and would quite possibly still be fine at 12G (SAS III) - but of course no guarantees. At least with SAS-expander backplanes its fair to expect that the entire backplane has been tested at speeds at least as high as the expander chip is rated for.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
In addition to the links above, here's a decent build-review for the U-NAS that has good photos and possibly useful commentary:
Review U-NAS NSC-800 8 Bay ITX Chassis Review - Overclockers Australia Forums

About the backplanes, the reviewer comments "No multi-path SAS support here. A SFF-8087 connector would have been preferred for ease of cabling as well. "

Also, answering my own question that I didn't ask here, it uses trays:

Last edited:

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
That was one of the pictures I came across - the 8-bay unit has two of those backplanes side-by-side. In the second picture you can clearly see the traces running from the cable-side connectors over to the drive connectors. You can also see the lack of traces connecting to the pins for the second SAS port - but theres not really any use for multi-path sas in that enclosure anyways. It would be very difficult to fit two HBAs in there (maybe one onboard + one expansion would fit), or if you drop the MB and just use it as a JBOD chassis MPIO might make sense but I think anyone doing that would just get a proper rack-mount unit.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
For anyone who might have interest, here's the U-NAS English user manual: http://www.u-nas.com/file/U-NAS_2.0_English_Manual_rev_2.pdf The U-400 is pictured on the cover, though I'm unsure whether it's the Economy or the Pro version. Whatever it is, from the manual (page 120), it appears to be running on an Intel Atom D510.

Which software is the U-NAS running that's in the manual?

I'm assuming the U-800 has none of that?

Last edited: