Going to do a forum maintenance window this evening

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I hate to have to do this but the test server responded (very) well to some of the changes that should fix many of the recent forum errors. To do so means I will need to sync the current forum data to the fixed server image and rebuild caches and instead of losing data, I will likely stick the forums in read-only mode for a bit late tonight. More as this gets closer but figure around 6 hours from now.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Almost all set to do the swap. The DB takes a few min to dump/ copy/ import, and then there are a few more rebuilds that need to happen board wide. Wish me luck. Taking down in 10 minutes or so for the maintenance/ VM swap.

Reactions: Marsh

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
When are the forums going down?
Thank you for the test post. Should be up now. Practiced the cutover so it only took 16 minutes. One gremlin - time ended up off 35 minutes between hwclock and date. Bounced the server and it worked.

Might be slightly slower until the caching tiers get warm again.

Reactions: NetWise and eva2000

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thank you for helping test. I think the new mail provider is working now.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I'm not getting the errors I once did. Looks like spdy isn't working now though.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Still a few items that need to get fixed. Working on those today.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
will be depreciated but not yet but still SPDY is viable and actually faster if you pair it with pagespeed - my benchmarks at Webpagetest.org World Country Flags Demo
Here is the crazy bit, SPDYCheck: Testing Websites for SPDY Support says everything is working (even though nginx has spdy/3 set and it says spdy/2 on the check). This one does too: SPDYCheck:ssl and spdy websites checker

However I do not see SPDY working at all via the browser plugin.

But yea @eva2000 ended up needing a Fusion-io supported docker host so Ubuntu won.

HTTP/2 is when I will probably work on this again. Still need to wait for the supporting infrastructure.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Fusion-io nice :)

if you have more than one ssl nginx vhost ensure each and every one is set to spdy/3
$0.50/gb so not bad at all!

There is only 1 vhost and only 1 listening on 443. The only other server entry is for the port 80 302 redirect (took that advice from centminmod).

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
May have had something to do with updating nginx as you suggested :)
hmm missing a thumbs up smiley here :)

I wouldn't use anything other than Nginx 1.9.1 and higher now - HTTP/2 will eventually be added from 1.9.x branch and 1.9.1 added reuseport /SO_REUSEPORT socket option

The "reuseport" option of the "listen" directive. When configured, an individual listen socket on a given address is created for each worker process. This allows to reduce in-kernel lock contention on configurations with high accept rates, resulting in better performance. As of now it works on Linux and DragonFly BSD. Note that on Linux incoming connection requests are currently tied up to a specific listen socket, and if some sockets are closed, connection requests will be reset, see The SO_REUSEPORT socket option [LWN.net] With nginx, this may happen if the number of worker processes is reduced. There is no such problem on DragonFly BSD. Based on previous work by Sepherosa Ziehau and Yingqi Lu.
benchmarks from Tengine The Tengine Web Server