Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

ptcfast2

Feb 1, 2021
Never did figure out what that other weird half size PCIE connector is that's next to the actual full size slots, though.
It's a custom mezanine slot for a riser Gigabyte no longer sells. The normal purpose of a slot like that is more direct integration with the motherboard itself vs going over the PCI Express bus. It's usually used for network adapters but also sometimes storage controllers.

When it is used on this motherboard it occupies the half height PCI Express slot. This was very stupid design choice. They revised it for later servers to match how most other manufacturers do things. In most cases the mezzanine adapter has its own slot and most manufacturers have a cutout on the motherboard's PCB that allows the card to fit below a PCI Express slot in a 1U configuration. It's a shame they didn't do that here, as they almost had a 1U server with 5(!) expansion slots. That is if you count the unused one where you can fit a single NVMe drive only...

I actually found a riser that works in the slot (Dell makes one) as I was curious and attached a Quanta mezzanine storage adapter and it actually worked without issue. However, losing the flexibility of the PCI Express slot isnt worth it at all in this server.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firebug24k

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
Hah, good info. Yeah, the layout makes it pretty much useless, it's a shame.

I really like these servers though, for the price they can't really be beat.

JErmolowich

Mar 16, 2019
North Carolina
Anybody up and running with 64GB RAM sticks? I have some Micron 64GB 2933 RDimms that are not recognized in this system and noticed that the QVL list doesn't have any 64GB sticks either.

ptcfast2

Feb 1, 2021
Anybody up and running with 64GB RAM sticks? I have some Micron 64GB 2933 RDimms that are not recognized in this system and noticed that the QVL list doesn't have any 64GB sticks either.
I think you would need to use LRDIMM modules if you are going for 64GB per DIMM. Are you running v3 or v4 Xeons?

JErmolowich

Mar 16, 2019
North Carolina
I have a pair of 2690v4 CPUs. I have done a little more research and all the boards with the C612 chipset that I can find do not support 64GB RDIMMS. So I find it hard to believe that Gigabyte magically figured out how to get them to run rather than the website specs are incorrect.

ptcfast2

Feb 1, 2021
I have a pair of 2690v4 CPUs. I have done a little more research and all the boards with the C612 chipset that I can find do not support 64GB RDIMMS. So I find it hard to believe that Gigabyte magically figured out how to get them to run rather than the website specs are incorrect.
Yeah I think you would need LRDIMMs for C612. RDIMMS won't work at that size on this guy sadly.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Malta
Yeah I think you would need LRDIMMs for C612. RDIMMS won't work at that size on this guy sadly.
If I'm not mistaken, Asus Z10PA-D8 (MemorySupport) and Z10PE-D16 take RDIMMs in 64GB size. You just need to check if the specs comply with the data from the manufacturer.

Markess

May 19, 2018
If I'm not mistaken, Asus Z10PA-D8 (MemorySupport) and Z10PE-D16 take RDIMMs in 64GB size. You just need to check if the specs comply with the data from the manufacturer.
Well yes, they take 64GB DIMMS. But, but as @ptcfast2 said, they will need to be LRDIMMs. The 64gb listed in the linked document are all LRDIMMs.

Last edited:

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Malta
That's why I mentioned ...
You just need to check if the specs comply with the data from the manufacturer.
Often times these lists say RDIMM which on the manufacturer list are tehn described as LRDIMM.

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
For what it's worth, I asked Penguin directly about BIOS stuff a few weeks ago (if they developed their own past what Gigabyte offers). They said they use the same BIOS Gigabyte provides. They just change the logo for branding purposes. :rolleyes:
Yes I agree, only they just had this R13 with modded stuff, this is why I wanted it to test things here, Thanks again

I ended up buying more of these servers, own around 35 of these now, last batch comes with no caddies though, but they take any Dell C1100 caddies no problem

Reactions: JErmolowich