Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ptcfast2

Feb 1, 2021
Never did figure out what that other weird half size PCIE connector is that's next to the actual full size slots, though.
It's a custom mezanine slot for a riser Gigabyte no longer sells. The normal purpose of a slot like that is more direct integration with the motherboard itself vs going over the PCI Express bus. It's usually used for network adapters but also sometimes storage controllers.

When it is used on this motherboard it occupies the half height PCI Express slot. This was very stupid design choice. They revised it for later servers to match how most other manufacturers do things. In most cases the mezzanine adapter has its own slot and most manufacturers have a cutout on the motherboard's PCB that allows the card to fit below a PCI Express slot in a 1U configuration. It's a shame they didn't do that here, as they almost had a 1U server with 5(!) expansion slots. That is if you count the unused one where you can fit a single NVMe drive only...

I actually found a riser that works in the slot (Dell makes one) as I was curious and attached a Quanta mezzanine storage adapter and it actually worked without issue. However, losing the flexibility of the PCI Express slot isnt worth it at all in this server.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firebug24k

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
Hah, good info. Yeah, the layout makes it pretty much useless, it's a shame.

I really like these servers though, for the price they can't really be beat.

JErmolowich

Mar 16, 2019
North Carolina
Anybody up and running with 64GB RAM sticks? I have some Micron 64GB 2933 RDimms that are not recognized in this system and noticed that the QVL list doesn't have any 64GB sticks either.

ptcfast2

Feb 1, 2021
Anybody up and running with 64GB RAM sticks? I have some Micron 64GB 2933 RDimms that are not recognized in this system and noticed that the QVL list doesn't have any 64GB sticks either.
I think you would need to use LRDIMM modules if you are going for 64GB per DIMM. Are you running v3 or v4 Xeons?

JErmolowich

Mar 16, 2019
North Carolina
I have a pair of 2690v4 CPUs. I have done a little more research and all the boards with the C612 chipset that I can find do not support 64GB RDIMMS. So I find it hard to believe that Gigabyte magically figured out how to get them to run rather than the website specs are incorrect.

ptcfast2

Feb 1, 2021
I have a pair of 2690v4 CPUs. I have done a little more research and all the boards with the C612 chipset that I can find do not support 64GB RDIMMS. So I find it hard to believe that Gigabyte magically figured out how to get them to run rather than the website specs are incorrect.
Yeah I think you would need LRDIMMs for C612. RDIMMS won't work at that size on this guy sadly.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Yeah I think you would need LRDIMMs for C612. RDIMMS won't work at that size on this guy sadly.
If I'm not mistaken, Asus Z10PA-D8 (MemorySupport) and Z10PE-D16 take RDIMMs in 64GB size. You just need to check if the specs comply with the data from the manufacturer.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
That's why I mentioned ...
You just need to check if the specs comply with the data from the manufacturer.
Often times these lists say RDIMM which on the manufacturer list are tehn described as LRDIMM.

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
For what it's worth, I asked Penguin directly about BIOS stuff a few weeks ago (if they developed their own past what Gigabyte offers). They said they use the same BIOS Gigabyte provides. They just change the logo for branding purposes. :rolleyes:
Yes I agree, only they just had this R13 with modded stuff, this is why I wanted it to test things here, Thanks again

I ended up buying more of these servers, own around 35 of these now, last batch comes with no caddies though, but they take any Dell C1100 caddies no problem

Reactions: JErmolowich

tinfever

Nov 3, 2018
Sorry to bump this old thread but does anyone know the idle power consumption on these? Will they run with a single CPU to reduce power draw?

I'm considering two of these for OPNsense firewalls (primary requirement is redundant PSU and cheap) and the other contender is a Supermicro SYS-6017R-M7UF (Dual Xeon E5 V1/V2. Would run with single CPU). Running the numbers, going with the Gigabyte system would be ~$40 more expensive overall but if it has lower power consumption by like 20W (although I don't know what the Supermicro will draw), that would break even in the long run. Also, the Gigabyte system is more modern and has better expansion options.

It would be quite hard to get parts for the Gigabyte system if a PSU failed though. That would blow any potential cost savings...

Gigabyte vs Supermicro.PNG

Reactions: Samir

eptesicus

Jun 25, 2017
I had 4 of these but just sold them to upgrade, so I can't speak on power draw. I had an E5-2640v3, 192GB RAM, all drive bays filled, and 10GbE in each, so my idle reading would not be comparable to how you're configuring yours.

I ran each of them with single CPUs without issues. You lose one of the PCI slots running 1 CPU, but everything else is good to go.

I can't remember what the model the PSUs are, but they're not proprietary and you dhould be able to find replacements if necessary. You can also just run 1 if you wanted. This will cut down a bit on power usage if you don't need redundancy.

Also, I would certainly go with this over the Supermicro just because the hardware is newer and you get DDR4 RAM with these. And given how cheap v4 CPUs are becoming now, I'd upgrade the E5-2620v3 to a v4.

Reactions: tinfever and Samir

curley

May 3, 2020
Sorry to bump this old thread but does anyone know the idle power consumption on these? Will they run with a single CPU to reduce power draw?

I'm considering two of these for OPNsense firewalls (primary requirement is redundant PSU and cheap) and the other contender is a Supermicro SYS-6017R-M7UF (Dual Xeon E5 V1/V2. Would run with single CPU). Running the numbers, going with the Gigabyte system would be ~$40 more expensive overall but if it has lower power consumption by like 20W (although I don't know what the Supermicro will draw), that would break even in the long run. Also, the Gigabyte system is more modern and has better expansion options.

It would be quite hard to get parts for the Gigabyte system if a PSU failed though. That would blow any potential cost savings...

View attachment 22378
I just happen to have a spare chassis that has a single E5-2630L with 16GB (2x8gb) and an Intel 3500 80GB ssd. No other PCI cards installed.
According to my Kill-A-Watt and the IPMI power management, the server at boot with fans running full is around 185 watts.

With the fans set to the minimum (-127) in the IPMI, running idle with both power supplies running ESXi 7.02 is around 57 watts and a single supply is averaging 45 watts. I did not change any power management settings in ESXi from the defaults.

1649518063310.png
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Samir and tinfever

xinpig

Feb 17, 2021
What kind of SAS card would I need for 10tb SAS drives? I wasn't aware these didn't take SAS until after I picked up the drives. Whoops.

looking at a 9207-8i so I can make use of some extra SSDs I have sitting around.
Edit: Anyone have a link to good screws for 3.5" drives in the sleds? Almost everything I've tried is slightly too tall to sit flush.

Last edited:

EriKana

Mar 15, 2021
Thanks I was looking at some of the mini 1050 and 1060's i think they will fit maybe haha might have to do some "mods".

I think this cable will work. Over all been running your bios for over week no reboots on 4 servers running strong. This is great hardware.
Slight necroposting, my apologies, have you used this cable for powering a card? Does it actually work? I don't want to fry something with incompatible cables

Reactions: yeyus and Samir

yeyus

May 8, 2021
Do not power this card with a 8pin to 6pin gpu cable!. The polarity is reversed. I just checked and I'm getting 12v on the tab side