Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
Has anyone here experienced these motherboards not taking the manual memory clocksettings? I have two dimms per server that are on the qvl, that are 2666mhz but downclock on auto to 2400. If I follow the manual I read I have to run them at 1866, but when entering 933 the systems do a couple reboots and when I look in the bios they are back at 2400. All the while still chucking ecc errors

I currently have 4 dimms I can try over 2 boards and they both have the same issues. It does not matter much what sticks I put in what board. Have also memtested for a good 8 passes with no issues. What makes this a little difficult is that sometimes a system boots without throwing ecc errors and then after sitting a while, we are back at it.

HMA82GR7AFR8N-VKT3 are the modules im using and listed on the qvl so im not really sure what to do. Im still running the original bios.

Last edited:

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
HMA82GR7AFR8N-VKT3 are the modules im using and listed on the qvl so im not really sure what to do. Im still running the original bios.
Where did you get those ram modules? I bought two of those same modules from Ebay, and at first only one of the modules was giving ECC errors. I complained to the seller, and he kindly sent me a replacement module. However, while waiting the replacement module to arrive, the other original module started to give ECC errors too. I asked for a second replacement and he promised to send it, but he never did. I got frustrated and bought a pair of Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD modules, which worked (and still work) without issues. Later I ordered second pair of those and they also work without issues.

The only replacement Hynix module I got, worked without errors, so I still think that the original modules really were faulty. If you have issues too, probably you have bought your modules from the same seller :D I bought them from German Ebay store called 24h Memory Store. But they have excellent rating so I think that I just was unlucky and they usually sell good stuff.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
Where did you get those ram modules? I bought two of those same modules from Ebay, and at first only one of the modules was giving ECC errors. I complained to the seller, and he kindly sent me a replacement module. However, while waiting the replacement module to arrive, the other original module started to give ECC errors too. I asked for a second replacement and he promised to send it, but he never did. I got frustrated and bought a pair of Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD modules, which worked (and still work) without issues. Later I ordered second pair of those and they also work without issues.

The only replacement Hynix module I got, worked without errors, so I still think that the original modules really were faulty. If you have issues too, probably you have bought your modules from the same seller :D I bought them from German Ebay store called 24h Memory Store. But they have excellent rating so I think that I just was unlucky and they usually sell good stuff.
I bought the modules from a Dutch secondhand seller from an IT newsite/forum, which has "sparred" with me regarding this issue and he has used them without issues in his ESXI server so I trust the seller. I do however not know here he got them from but they are huawei stickered sticks. I will try changing the sticks, I also hace 8 more on the way to test

I will try more and report back. I think however it might be a good idea to keep a central post with confirmed working memory with settings, as I've also read these are picky, so its a fair warning to those who want to buy.

I will keep my eye out for the DIMM's you mentioned and will try 2.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands

By the way, at what speeds are you running those dimms at and how many do you have per node? I see those dimms have about similair specs to the ones I have other then being 32gb instead of 16gb. What im most baffled about it being able to set some speeds but not the one I need. One thing I also noticed is that when setting the clock to auto and the dimms running at 2400, the CPU seems to be locked in 1200mghz. When I manually configure them there is no issue with clockspeed.

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
By the way, at what speeds are you running those dimms at and how many do you have per node? I see those dimms have about similair specs to the ones I have other then being 32gb instead of 16gb. What im most baffled about it being able to set some speeds but not the one I need. One thing I also noticed is that when setting the clock to auto and the dimms running at 2400, the CPU seems to be locked in 1200mghz. When I manually configure them there is no issue with clockspeed.
I set them manually to 1866 when I installed second pair. Didn't even try to run them on auto or any other setting, because 1866 was previously reported to work and I already had my server in 'production'.

edit: So now I have four of them which makes 128GB in total. Before installing second pair I had clocks set to auto.

Last edited:

+DS_DV+

Mar 16, 2024
I have a jonsbo n2
Did you get the Jonsbo N2 Fan to work with the onboard fan headers?

I have the problem that the CPU Fan header does regulate (fan spins up and down).
But all other fan headers are stuck at max RPM no matter what fan profile i set or try to create via BMC :/

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
This is not an issue of the N2, it’s an issue of the board. There is a solution here in the thread how to make the other than cpu fans working with BMC. Suggest to dive into the thread, something like a google search „Gigabyte MJ11-EC0 BMC fan site:servethehome.com“ might help.
First result leads to: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-mj11-ec1-epyc-3151-mystery.41395/post-407547
Be warned: it’s not trivial for beginners!

Reactions: +DS_DV+

+DS_DV+

Mar 16, 2024
oh ok thank you for the information.
it is an interesting read o.o

but i guess ill just order a pwm y-spliter cable for a few bucks as a workaround :)

just if someone has the information at hand:
are there any known advantages of flashing F02 from MJ11-EC0 over the F09 from our board?

with kind regards

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I just received the Ceacent PCIe adapter and I managed to boot TrueNAS and have it detect the Mellanox NIC at least once. But then I rearranged the cables a bit and then the MJ11-EC1 board didn't post again (it restarts right before the point it would normally boot the OS) so I think it is marginal. Must be poor signal quality. The NIC is PCIe 2.0 even so I didn't think it would be that problematic. A bummer but I'm okay with just running this with gigabit network for now.

Live and learn...

+DS_DV+

Mar 16, 2024
i had this on one board and thought it was the ram.
i noticed that they do not necessarily rest the boards.

so resetting it to defaults and then configuring it to your needs solved my problem.
(keep in mind that changeing the management interface behavior *** with the nic configuration ... i had to reinstall my os after changing it from failover to dedicated [since i dont like management be reachable via the intel nics])

Gymnae

Nov 20, 2023
Hi guys,
Received my board yesterday and I´m running 4x 32GB 2400T RDIMMs without any problems,
F09 bios and enabled POR with manual 1200MT settings.
Where did you enable POR? I cannot find that setting. I'm having a hard time getting my system stable with four sticks of Hynix 32 GB HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH DDR4-2400. It won't set itself to 933MT nor would it would with manually setting 1200MT or 933MT. It works better with three sticks, but even changing the fourth stick did not change anything.

tactoad

Jan 26, 2022
Where did you enable POR? I cannot find that setting. I'm having a hard time getting my system stable with four sticks of Hynix 32 GB HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH DDR4-2400. It won't set itself to 933MT nor would it would with manually setting 1200MT or 933MT. It works better with three sticks, but even changing the fourth stick did not change anything.
Hi, my apologies I´ve seem to mixed it up with another Gigabyte system I was labing with. I checked my settings and just by enabling overclock and manually setting it to 1200 gives med 2400MT. Are you on F09 bios?

ddr4.png

tactoad

Jan 26, 2022
I´ve got the unreleased F03 BIOS for the EC0. PM me if anyone is interested.

f03.png

Last edited:
Reactions: h0schi

Gymnae

Nov 20, 2023
Hi, my apologies I´ve seem to mixed it up with another Gigabyte system I was labing with. I checked my settings and just by enabling overclock and manually setting it to 1200 gives med 2400MT. Are you on F09 bios?

View attachment 35858
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, i’m on F09 - when I set the Memory Clock Speed to 933 it’s simply ignored, when I set it to 1200 i stored that speed, but fails to POST

EDIT: I can't get the 4 Hynix 32 GB HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH sticks to accept a clock speed of 1866T. Can anyone recommend a cheap alternative? Currently looking at Samsung m393a4k40bb1-crc, which go for 30 EUR per Stick used

Last edited:

Grinchy

Apr 7, 2024
There seems to be a newer Firmware for an different Gigabyte Server Board with AST2500.

Someone tried flashing this?

Someone using TrueNAS Scale with this Board? I'm getting spammed with PCIe Bus Errors (without PCIe connected). Someone wrote you need to set "pcie_aspm=off" for Linux. Is there a way to do this in the TrueNAS Scale Gui?

Last edited:

janek202

Feb 4, 2023
Someone using TrueNAS Scale with this Board? I'm getting spammed with PCIe Bus Errors (without PCIe connected). Someone wrote you need to set "pcie_aspm=off" for Linux. Is there a way to do this in the TrueNAS Scale Gui?
I used a terminal command, I haven't seen it in the GUI:
midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "pcie_aspm=off"}'

Reactions: Grinchy

Gizmo_Ger

Sep 21, 2023
There seems to be a newer Firmware for an different Gigabyte Server Board with AST2500.

Someone tried flashing this?

Guess it doesn´t work. I can´t log on anymore. It´s stuck on login screen. Cheers.
Anyone know how to unbrick the BMC?bmc flash.jpg

Last edited: