Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
The what I believe is diodes next to the little 4-pin power plug on the motherboard, does get quite hot, measured 110c

IMG_0088_1.jpgIMG_0088 2.jpg

Is that normal?

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
For those interested here is the pinout of "JTAG BMC" for serial TTL adapter (you don't need VCC).

20240113_133905_2.jpg

You need to connect it like so:
50e1ce8bce395fb62b000000.png

No need for 3.3v. And use PuTTY serial connector with speed of 115200. You can finde some good info here.

You can login with user: sysadmin, and I set a new password in BMC under "Maintenance->System Administrator" but I cant seem to login as root.

But where to go from there I have no clue. Command "help" does not work. Any information here would be very helpful!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: t0t0 and prime420

_Dejan_

Aug 18, 2022
TLL adapter signal must be 3.3V? Because there are also 5V variants... To avoid some users burn chip...

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
TLL adapter signal must be 3.3V? Because there are also 5V variants... To avoid some users burn chip...
You don't need 3.3v if you have power to BMC with the 4-pin power plug to a PSU.

The one I got is this one, just because it was in stock locally, and it can do both 3.3v and 5v. But any TTL or UART cable/adapter should work.

H68962b795ba148ecbd37446fac938230Z.jpg

Last edited:

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
It is possible to activate also the other fans and have full control over them!
But it is not the Bios that needs modifying. You need to change the product name of the bord.
From G431-MM0-OT to MJ11-EC0-00 and MJ11-EC1-OT to MJ11-EC0-00.
After a BMC reboot it will be reconfigured and all fans are working.

I managed to do this after a lot of trial and error.

To do it you need root access to the BMC command line. The easiest way is to connect a usb to ttl adapter to the BMC JTAG pins
You will then have a serial console into the BMC.
If someone is interested I can write a down the steps I took.

The image below show the result. 3 fans attached each with its own fan profile and temperature sensor

BR
Peter

View attachment 33745
How did you go about and changed the server names?

I have logged in to CLI with PuTTY and a TTL USB adapter. But where to go from there I don't know.

Loggin in as "sysadmin" no problem, but how do i get ROOT access, and the from there changing the names?

Any help is very appreciated :).

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
So managed to get root access, running the command "passwd root", and then changed the password. Now I can log in as root.

Where to go from there :D?

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
How did you go about and changed the server names?

I have logged in to CLI with PuTTY and a TTL USB adapter. But where to go from there I don't know.

Loggin in as "sysadmin" no problem, but how do i get ROOT access, and the from there changing the names?

Any help is very appreciated :).
Good you are on your way.

First a warning. This can potentially brick your system. I have had one side effect. The product name disappeared from the BIOS and instead there is a text "To be filled in by OEM" It does not seam to have any impact on running the system.

I did all my testing with the main CPU off, only the BMC powered. I suggest you do the same!

If you are logged in as sysadmin you should have root access (meaning you can do anything on the system)
you should have a normal Linux prompt.

type id to confirm that you are root

Bash:
sysadmin [/conf/user_home/peter]# id
uid=0(sysadmin) gid=0(sysadmin) groups=0(sysadmin),109(kvm),501(ipmi),505(lanadmin),511(serialadmin),533(SmashCLP),539(vmedia)
now you need to change to the tmp directory

cd /tmp

It is the file SKU.xml in the tmp directory that we need to edit. First list its contents with

cat SKU.xml

In this there are 3 changes to make
G431-MM0-OT to MJ11-EC0-00 in 2 places
MJ11-EC1-OT to MJ11-EC0-00 in 2 places
G431_MM0 to MJ11

The xml file is just one long row so difficult to edit with vi etc. Best is to use sed.
I just tested these commands and they worked. Note the difference of Zero (0) and the letter O

sed -i s/G431-MM0-OT/MJ11-EC0-00/g SKU.xml
sed -i s/MJ11-EC1-OT/MJ11-EC0-00/g SKU.xml
sed -i s/G431_MM0/MJ11/g SKU.xml

now you can do

cat SKU.xml

to verify that the changes have been made
The next step is to run

bmcprog WS=FULL_AREA

this will create SKU.BIN
verify that it is created

cat SKU.BIN

should produce a lot of garbage (it is a compressed file)

Now this file should be flashed with the following command

skurw w flash SKU.BIN

to verify you should run

rm SKU.xml
skupioneer

This will produce some errors but give you a new SKU.xml

verify that this has the 5 changes by doing

cat SKU.xml

If this is OK that you should now reboot the BMC. But first turn on logging in Putty, it can be good to see what happens.
reboot by simply doing

reboot

During the reboot the BMC should generate the new FanPolicy and all 3 fans should be there!

If this is not working maybe the SKU.BIN file needs to be edited. It has an embedded zipped file mysku.xml.gz
that contains the SKU.xml file. If this is the case I will give instructions for that.

If everything works out start up the main CPU and watch the sensors page in the BMCGui

BR
Peter

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
Good you are on your way.

First a warning. This can potentially brick your system. I have had one side effect. The product name disappeared from the BIOS and instead there is a text "To be filled in by OEM" It does not seam to have any impact on running the system.

I did all my testing with the main CPU off, only the BMC powered. I suggest you do the same!

If you are logged in as sysadmin you should have root access (meaning you can do anything on the system)
you should have a normal Linux prompt.

type id to confirm that you are root

Bash:
sysadmin [/conf/user_home/peter]# id
uid=0(sysadmin) gid=0(sysadmin) groups=0(sysadmin),109(kvm),501(ipmi),505(lanadmin),511(serialadmin),533(SmashCLP),539(vmedia)
now you need to change to the tmp directory

cd /tmp

It is the file SKU.xml in the tmp directory that we need to edit. First list its contents with

cat SKU.xml

In this there are 3 changes to make
G431-MM0-OT to MJ11-EC0-00 in 2 places
MJ11-EC1-OT to MJ11-EC0-00 in 2 places
G431_MM0 to MJ11

The xml file is just one long row so difficult to edit with vi etc. Best is to use sed.
I just tested these commands and they worked. Note the difference of Zero (0) and the letter O

sed -i s/G431-MM0-OT/MJ11-EC0-00/g SKU.xml
sed -i s/MJ11-EC1-OT/MJ11-EC0-00/g SKU.xml
sed -i s/G431_MM0/MJ11/g SKU.xml

now you can do

cat SKU.xml

to verify that the changes have been made
The next step is to run

bmcprog WS=FULL_AREA

this will create SKU.BIN
verify that it is created

cat SKU.BIN

should produce a lot of garbage (it is a compressed file)

Now this file should be flashed with the following command

skurw w flash SKU.BIN

to verify you should run

rm SKU.xml
skupioneer

This will produce some errors but give you a new SKU.xml

verify that this has the 5 changes by doing

cat SKU.xml

If this is OK that you should now reboot the BMC. But first turn on logging in Putty, it can be good to see what happens.
reboot by simply doing

reboot

During the reboot the BMC should generate the new FanPolicy and all 3 fans should be there!

If this is not working maybe the SKU.BIN file needs to be edited. It has an embedded zipped file mysku.xml.gz
that contains the SKU.xml file. If this is the case I will give instructions for that.

If everything works out start up the main CPU and watch the sensors page in the BMCGui

BR
Peter
Thank you very much for this! Will try now.

Have you tried BIOS from MJ11-EC0, maybe you it will fix the "To be filled in by OEM" issue.

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
So it worked! Thank you sir!

MegaRAC SP-X og 42 flere sider - Personlig - Microsoft Edge 13-01-2024 21_17_49.jpg

Still same info in BMC and BIOS for SKU. But all these sensors from the GPU's and so on is no longer there, and I can control SYS1 and SYS2 fans, as well as CPU fan like before, nice :D.
MegaRAC SP-X og 42 flere sider - Personlig - Microsoft Edge 13-01-2024 21_14_20.jpg
MegaRAC SP-X og 42 flere sider - Personlig - Microsoft Edge 13-01-2024 21_14_32.jpg
Remote KVM [192.168.10.137] - [1024 x 768 ] - Personlig - Microsoft Edge 13-01-2024 21_16_34.jpg

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
So it worked! Thank you sir!

View attachment 33779

Still same info in BMC and BIOS for SKU. But all these sensors from the GPU's and so on is no longer there, and I can control SYS1 and SYS2 fans, as well as CPU fan like before, nice :D.
View attachment 33780
View attachment 33781
View attachment 33782
Nice to see!

I did a lot of trial and errors so might have made something that removed info or updated more that in your case.

I see that you are running 15 degrees higher cpu temp that I have. I put on a 92mm fan, that changed temp and noise!

Peter

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
Nice to see!

I did a lot of trial and errors so might have made something that removed info or updated more that in your case.

I see that you are running 15 degrees higher cpu temp that I have. I put on a 92mm fan, that changed temp and noise!

Peter
Nice work!

Yes defiantly going to swap out the CPU fan. Or maybe try passive cooling and some good airflow :).

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
Are you seeing 4c/8t in bios or by OS itself? I have MJ11-EC1-0T (G431 server) and with F09 bios at least both bios and OS are reporting just 4c/4t config :confused:

edit:
The Hyper Threading seems to be disabled in the G431 boxes per default, you need to enable it in the BIOS (i don´t know where it was, but it was buried a bit deeper). Works fine.
Apparently there's HT setting somewhere.. hmm

edit2: advanced -> amd cbs -> zen common options -> core/thread enablement -> SMTEN

Last edited:

janek202

Feb 4, 2023
Are you seeing 4c/8t in bios or by OS itself? I have MJ11-EC1-0T (G431 server) and with F09 bios at least both bios and OS are reporting just 4c/4t config :confused:
You need to enable SMT (Symmetric Multithreading Technology) in BIOS, it's off by default on this board:
Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Zen Common Options -> Core/Thread Enablement -> Agree -> SMTEN -> Auto

After this change I can see 8 threads in the OS.

Reactions: fiftynine

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
You need to enable SMT (Symmetric Multithreading Technology) in BIOS, it's off by default on this board:
Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Zen Common Options -> Core/Thread Enablement -> Agree -> SMTEN -> Auto

After this change I can see 8 threads in the OS.
Thanks!

On the G431 IOMMU was disabled by default, as well. That was hidden pretty well into the bios menus, too..

BadMax02

Oct 29, 2023
It would be interesting to know, if a board which hasent been flashed and updated at all, can control the sys fans, when falshing we used different firmware which might not behave as expected with the fan sensors and such?

Im definitly gonna try doing that string change, i dont have a USB TTL but i do have some arduinos which have a build in USB Serial adapter which after a quick google search apperently can be used to also debug other devices when unplugging or keeping the arduino microcontroller in a reset state and using the tx and rx pins to connect to the device.

Gonna try that and report later after work

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
Anyone successfully flashed the bios back to F09 from F02 using the .bin "Dump BIOS" file from BMC. Have tried afuwin in Windows 11. and keep getting the same error 18. Tried to make a bootable DOS USB stick, but so far not able to boot into DOS for some reason.

Using AFUWINGUIx64 in Windows I also took a backup of the F09 bios on another board, but that app saves the bios in a .rom file. Still not able to flash that in BMC or in Windows. Any way to back up a bios into .rbu?

20240116_120132.jpg

Download the F09 bios in .rom format here for those interesserede (not responsible for anything!).

Last edited:

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Anyone successfully flashed the bios back to F09 from F02 using the .bin "Dump BIOS" file from BMC. Have tried afuwin in Windows 11. and keep getting the same error 18. Tried to make a bootable DOS USB stick, but so far not able to boot into DOS for some reason.

Using AFUWINGUIx64 in Windows I also took a backup of the F09 bios on another board, but that app saves the bios in a .rom file. Still not able to flash that in BMC or in Windows. Any way to back up a bios into .rbu?

View attachment 33819

Download the F09 bios in .rom format here for those interesserede (not responsible for anything!).
Hello,

I have also flashed the F02 on my first board, and after some work also managed to make the F09 dump into a flashable .rbu image that can be flashed back via the BMC.

This evening I can make it available for download

BR
Peter

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
Hello,

I have also flashed the F02 on my first board, and after some work also managed to make the F09 dump into a flashable .rbu image that can be flashed back via the BMC.

This evening I can make it available for download

BR
Peter
That would be awesome, thankyou!

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
Is there any advantage of using the F09 BIOS?
I cannot find any advantages, but the F02 is made to work with another rev of this board, so maybe there are som differences under the hood, other than some other settings and so on in the bios. Anyways would be nice to be able to go back to original bios for us that flashed F02 on our boards.