Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I bought a BeQuiet SFX 450W PSU for my build.
I just hope it is enough to power the board and 8 harddisks.
It is all currently housed in a Silverstone DS380 case.

EDIT: I replaced the very noisy stock CPU fan with Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM. Much better.

I'm unable to get PWM working for SYS_FAN1 and SYS_FAN2 connectors. The motherboard manual for MJ11-EC0 (the non-OEM version of this board) it only mentions speed control for the CPU fan. This is a bummer but it just means I will have to use slower running fans or use a low noise adaptor.

Last edited:

ynikolov

Dec 19, 2022
EDIT: I replaced the very noisy stock CPU fan with Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM. Much better.
I got the same intentions however was wondering if it is 12V or 5V fan. As far as i could see it is the 12V one you have installed.

By the way i was also able to bring the board to boot correctly. One of the RAM banks was causing an issue even though the memtest+ was running over 2 hours without a single problem.

studunihd

Oct 21, 2023
I'm unable to get PWM working for SYS_FAN1 and SYS_FAN2 connectors. The motherboard manual for MJ11-EC0 (the non-OEM version of this board) it only mentions speed control for the CPU fan. This is a bummer but it just means I will have to use slower running fans or use a low noise adaptor.
I also could not get the SYS_FAN headers to work. I ended up using two ARCTIC P12 Slim PWM PST daisy chained on the cpu fan header to also have a fan for the disks. They work well and I can get them as low as 300 rpm.

rickyJ

Nov 2, 2023
I also could not get the SYS_FAN headers to work. I ended up using two ARCTIC P12 Slim PWM PST daisy chained on the cpu fan header to also have a fan for the disks. They work well and I can get them as low as 300 rpm.
Wow great i can't get mine to reach a low speed like yours.
Can you share how you setup your fan profile and curve ?
Thanks

studunihd

Oct 21, 2023
Here are my current settings:
Screenshot 2023-11-28 173719.png

With these settings my fans go down to 600 rpm. When I went into the previous settings to post them I realised that the 300 rpm were not stable. The fan randomly disappeared from the sensor list and when it reappeared my custom threshold settings were reset and at 300 rpm the first warning triggered. The 300 rpm setting also caused it not to post sometimes when restarting. The fan itself can go down to 300 rpm and it does seem to work but since the bmc does not seem to like it going down that low I decided to set it to 600 rpm. This keeps the log clean and the the cpu temp at around 47 degrees. Two degrees lower than at 300 rpm. The fan automatically spins up when I put a load on the system and the cpu temperature rises.

When setting the policy for the fan make sure to delete all other policies in the profile that also referance the fan. In the default profile there were multiple policies set up that referenced a higher minimum duty percentage and my settings in the first policy were ignored. You can change between policies with the drop down menu under the profile name.

Reactions: serialintruder

BadMax02

Oct 29, 2023
Im unfortunatly getting alot of Pcie Corrected BadTLP and BadDLLP and Timeout errors and dont know how to fix them, it prevent multiple Linux Isos from booting because it just keeps spaming the console with these errors and not actually booting. anyone have a idea why this could happen?

prime420

Oct 17, 2023
Im unfortunatly getting alot of Pcie Corrected BadTLP and BadDLLP and Timeout errors and dont know how to fix them, it prevent multiple Linux Isos from booting because it just keeps spaming the console with these errors and not actually booting. anyone have a idea why this could happen?
EPYC Zen1 have problems with PCIe ASPM. You need to deactivate it in "/etc/kernel/cmdline" with "pcie_aspm=off". After this you need to do a "update-initramfs -u" otherwise the change will not used by the system. In UEFI the ASPM settings are unfortunately missing.

Last edited:

BadMax02

Oct 29, 2023
EPYC Zen1 have problems with PCIe ASPM. You need to deactivate it in "/etc/kernel/cmdline" with "pcie_aspm=off". After this you need to do a "update-initramfs -u" otherwise the change will not used by the system. In UEFI the ASPM settings are unfortunately missing.
Oh wow thats a big oversite, fortunatly it seems that editing the grub boot option on a live iso seems to work aswell, its a bit suboptimal cause every iso needs to be edited before it boots in the bootloader but it works and it does boot after adding the aspm off option, Thanks!

wising-77

Sep 22, 2023
Hi. Thanks for a lot of info, I bought one of these cards for a couple of months ago. I have Windows Server 2022 installed on it now and works fine. But I have one problem. My VGA port does not work, neither do the remote video. I have tried to flash but it does'nt solve the problem, and in windows device manager there is no indication of any graphic (except microsoft remote display adapter). Anybody else with this problem? And in firmware information there is nothing under CPLDFirmware Information, just MB:NA. And 12.61.17 firmware as well as BIOSFirmware F09 is on it know.

Thanks

Chielos

Dec 25, 2020
I want to explore if i can get 10gbe (fiber) or 2.5gb as an extra adapter in this board. Any thoughts on this?

Thinking about SFF-8654 8i to M.2 2 ports card.

And putting an m.2 adapter card in de the m.2 slot

Does this card work? Keeping in mind the lack of bi-furcation.
Edit:
Sorry, read the thread again. Only one port will work.

Last edited:

BadMax02

Oct 29, 2023
I want to explore if i can get 10gbe (fiber) or 2.5gb as an extra adapter in this board. Any thoughts on this?

Thinking about SFF-8654 8i to M.2 2 ports card.

And putting an m.2 adapter card in de the m.2 slot

Does this card work? Keeping in mind the lack of bi-furcation.
Edit:
Sorry, read the thread again. Only one port will work.
yee, i bought one of these exact cards because another m.2 can still be used for more sata or netowkr for example and it was a good tradeoff with price and usefulness for me, only one port work (i think port 2) and with a intel optane 16gb ssd i got really good performance thru it, tho some people reported data integrity issues, with packet drops when having a network card in it, for me it seems like its been fine for now.

also plan on putting a m.2 10gbe network card into mine from IOCrest, i already hbought their 12$ 2.5 gig nics and am very happy with them, low power and native driver support, no sketch china drivers, so i hope the 10gbe one will be a similar experience, it hasent arrived yet tho.

erik_mk

Jun 14, 2021
Hi. Thanks for a lot of info, I bought one of these cards for a couple of months ago. I have Windows Server 2022 installed on it now and works fine. But I have one problem. My VGA port does not work, neither do the remote video. I have tried to flash but it does'nt solve the problem, and in windows device manager there is no indication of any graphic (except microsoft remote display adapter). Anybody else with this problem? And in firmware information there is nothing under CPLDFirmware Information, just MB:NA. And 12.61.17 firmware as well as BIOSFirmware F09 is on it know.

Thanks
Hey @wising-77 I had the same issues with VGA and remote video. Turned out to be a ram placement issue. I now have my ram sticks in the blue slots and it works fine, even though its bog standard Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz ram (runs at 2133mhz though, but thats what i had).

There's a small note in the manual about placing ram: "When populating DIMMs into a channel, slot numbers having the suffix “1” must be populated first, then followed by slot numbers having the suffix “0”. Maybe that helps?

wising-77

Sep 22, 2023
Hey @wising-77 I had the same issues with VGA and remote video. Turned out to be a ram placement issue. I now have my ram sticks in the blue slots and it works fine, even though its bog standard Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz ram (runs at 2133mhz though, but thats what i had).

There's a small note in the manual about placing ram: "When populating DIMMs into a channel, slot numbers having the suffix “1” must be populated first, then followed by slot numbers having the suffix “0”. Maybe that helps?
Hi erik_mk,

Thank you for the info. I tried but did'nt solve the problem. Tried with two different ram sticks (both works fine, but with no video). Waiting for a sas to pcie kit that will arrive any day now and with a little bit of luck I can connect a gpu and get it to work that way(if its even possible). Maybe something in bios is misconfigured. Many thanks!

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
Does LRDIMM not work with this board? Can't find it on the QVL. I just happen to have lots of lrdimm around

mstoebich

Mar 26, 2017
I tested a kit of 4x32gb lrdimms (1x, 2x and 4x configuration), which caused the system to not boot, so I think were out of luck here.

But on a more positive note: none of my tested configs was on the QVL and 2 kits of 2133Mhz RDIMMS and 1 kit of 2400 Mhz RDIMMS worked just fine.
I have posts for both of those tests on the first few pages of this thread, there is a bit more information on this.

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
I tested a kit of 4x32gb lrdimms (1x, 2x and 4x configuration), which caused the system to not boot, so I think were out of luck here.

But on a more positive note: none of my tested configs was on the QVL and 2 kits of 2133Mhz RDIMMS and 1 kit of 2400 Mhz RDIMMS worked just fine.
I have posts for both of those tests on the first few pages of this thread, there is a bit more information on this.
Thanks, I tried the lrdimms I had as well without luck, so... ordered something from the qvl list then :p

mstoebich

Mar 26, 2017
Thats probably the best way. Just be warned - It seems like with 4 DIMMs you're stuck with 2133Mhz, so buying anything faster likely won't benefit you

Reactions: fiftynine

ZoMbY

Dec 16, 2023
hi all
i got one of this mainboards a couple off days ago. After i start it it only shovs the BMC init and chipset load. after that its only a black screen, no gigabyte logo or anything, allso no lights on my usb keyboard. Any suggestions ? or should i send it back ?
i tried whit a 32gb ecc 2400mt samsung stick, and a normal 8gb 2666mt stick, same result

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
hi all
i got one of this mainboards a couple off days ago. After i start it it only shovs the BMC init and chipset load. after that its only a black screen, no gigabyte logo or anything, allso no lights on my usb keyboard. Any suggestions ? or should i send it back ?
i tried whit a 32gb ecc 2400mt samsung stick, and a normal 8gb 2666mt stick, same result
First I'd check boot order, or boot media.. Did you check the jumper for cmos clearing?

When I tried to boot with incompatible ram (LRDIMM), naturally I got no video out at all. As you're getting some video out, I'd wager the ram is compatible. Have you tried to access bmc? Does it reserve ip? I haven't yet played around with mine, as I just ordered some ram off ebay.