EU Gigabyte Mainboard MC12-LE0 Re1.0 AMD B550 AM4 Ryzen

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
But like no joke gigabyte has one of the nicest ipmis i have worked with so far.
Very responsive and nice modern look and tons of features
Yeah, really nice change from java remote access turds. Looking at the portal, I felt instantly that it's a homage to pi-hole interface. Nothing against that, but it just had the same look. Which is nice, as I'm quite familiar with that one. :)

Reactions: UnknownPommes

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
I try to ask again?

anyone successful to activate iGPU of an APU on this Mainboard for Transcoding purposes?

yes I‘m aware that the VGA is hardwired to AST2500 GPU and yes I have an open ticket with gigabyte support.
not 100% sure but i dont think so, from what i read G series are not officially supported and i just tried a 3200G i had floating around and it refused to boot similar to when the memory is installed in the wrong slots

Edit: the manual mentiones "AMD 3rd gen with Vega Graphics" as possible cpu type but still doesnt work for me, might be able to try a 5700G tomorrow and see how that will go

Reactions: AlexGee

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
****. ME.

I would have swearer that I tested it, but I decided to have a go again tonight. I got POST. Finally.

But still no POST/BMC on the server PSU. I bought this chassis specifically for this motherboard...
The PSUs work fine with my WC621DA8-2T.

Is it worth it returning the motherboard? Or is it just an infortunate incompatibility between the PSU and the motherboard? I created a separate topic here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/incompatibility-between-psu-and-motherboard.43181/

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Is it worth it returning the motherboard? Or is it just an infortunate incompatibility between the PSU and the motherboard? I created a separate topic here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/incompatibility-between-psu-and-motherboard.43181/
You are the only one having issue with psu and your mb posts with another psu.. to me that seem like a psu problem not mb

If you have the ability to return for refund maybe an option, but RMA'ing this board seems pointless imo (it works)

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
I try to ask again?

anyone successful to activate iGPU of an APU on this Mainboard for Transcoding purposes?

yes I‘m aware that the VGA is hardwired to AST2500 GPU and yes I have an open ticket with gigabyte support.
Even if you get it working, your APU is not suited for use as HW encoder in Plex or Jellyfin, due to many shortcomings in hw-engine
You need latest gen AM5 or mobile variant (680M and newer) for decent quality with AMD HW-encode

Basically x264 is a crapfest and x265 is decent but not great

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
Edit: the manual mentiones "AMD 3rd gen with Vega Graphics" as possible cpu type but still doesnt work for me, might be able to try a 5700G tomorrow and see how that will go
That would be great!

To be clear: my 4650G works well like a Ryzen 3600 (incl. ECC) - only iGPU cannot be activated in BIOS

Reactions: penroseparadox

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
You are the only one having issue with psu and your mb posts with another psu.. to me that seem like a psu problem not mb

If you have the ability to return for refund maybe an option, but RMA'ing this board seems pointless imo (it works)
Yeah, the issue is that I cannot RMA the PSU (because it seems to be working with other motherboards), and I cannot RMA the board becaue it works with other PSUs... I only have few days left to return for a refund the chassis, but it will be super costly to send back :(

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
Yeah, the issue is that I cannot RMA the PSU (because it seems to be working with other motherboards), and I cannot RMA the board becaue it works with other PSUs... I only have few days left to return for a refund the chassis, but it will be super costly to send back :(
just a wild guess, but is it possible that only some rails or pins inside the psu connector are broken an the other mainboard that works just so happens not to use the broken ones while the gigabyte one does?
You can get a psu tester from amazon for like 15$ and verify that, also generally a good idea to have one as "test subject" when buying used psus, bc worst case the psu is bad, it will blow the 15$ tester instead of hundreds $ worth of components.

Reactions: SlowmoDK

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
That's actually a very good idea, just ordered a tester. The PSUs should be brand new.

I looked at the pins and compared the two 24 ATX connector, nothing seems weird at the eye. More info tomorrow with the tester :)

Reactions: SlowmoDK

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
That's actually a very good idea, just ordered a tester. The PSUs should be brand new.
they deliver only 12V/5VSB. all other voltages and signals come from PDU.
cheap PSU tester does not LOAD the PSU, your issue looks like a kind of Overcurrent shutdown...
maybe the other PSU doesn't care of frying chips.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
The Corsair RMx should be a quality power supply... so in your opinion it's a motherboard issue?

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
logic says it must be that PDU then

it is possible to connect those PSU's directly and not to PDU ?

EDIT : I didn't see @RolloZ170 post above :(

Seems you are outta luck with this combo of case and MB

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
No I cannot use the PSU directly.

Yeah I think I am screwed. 2U power supply are super expensive, I paid only 130 euros for this chassis with 8 hotswap bays and redundant PSU.

Not sure if putting a 8259CL in there is a good idea too.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The Corsair RMx should be a quality power supply... so in your opinion it's a motherboard issue?
hard to be sure about that. maybe only the MS12 board needs -12V and the PDU don't provide but Corsair does.
if also BMC does not start something draws more power than usual.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
If I trust the sticker on the PDU, it should be capable of delivering more W on the -12V and 5VSB than the Corsair.

I sent an email to Gigabyte, will see if I can have a response before EOW.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
So I compared the reading with a cheap ATX PSU tester from Amazon, the Corsair and the Delta PSU seems to have close values (but it's not under load, except for the Delta PSU that still power the backplane).

The only difference is on PG: 120ms on the Corsair vs 380ms on the Delta. Both values should be within specs (but the tester seems to think that the Corsair value is too low).

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The only difference is on PG: 120ms on the Corsair vs 380ms on the Delta. Both values should be within specs (but the tester seems to think that the Corsair value is too low).
PG is not valid for the BMC (+5VSB) /PS_ON high state.