FYI: ixSystems removes dual port sas functionality from Scale

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PlasticZeus

Mar 25, 2019
Just as a heads up. I bought a 9305-16e to be able to have 2x 3008 controllers and dual controller HPE StoreServ 8000 SSD shelf. After having difficulties getting it installed, I have it showing up in my system now. I thought that iX didn't have the multipathing ported over so I made a ticket in their Jira to add the functionality after Bluefin. Their response was it was intentially removed due to complexity and their "not being enought benefit for the cost". I guess their approach is single expander systems and scaling out to multiple chassis for redundancy vs supporting JBOD enclosures with dual port SAS drives.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
Thanks for the heads-up on this change. I want to implement a dual-controller/multipath JBOD solution and am left wondering if such a path is reasonable available.

PlasticZeus

Mar 25, 2019
Thanks for the heads-up on this change. I want to implement a dual-controller/multipath JBOD solution and am left wondering if such a path is reasonable available.
If you stick to TrueNAS Core, you're able to use it still. However, if you want the kubernetes/Container support and Qemu style virtual machines, Scale and the lack of dual port SAS is what you're left with.

Reactions: WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
If you stick to TrueNAS Core, you're able to use it still. However, if you want the kubernetes/Container support and Qemu style virtual machines, Scale and the lack of dual port SAS is what you're left with.
Appreciate the clarification, although the TrueNAS forum moderators seem to discourage anyone but iX support engineers from using the multipath feature (via UI or CLI). See Is multipath setup correctly and enabled?

If anyone has experience configuring TrueNAS Core, for multipath, and they had a generally successful or generally unsuccessful experience doing so, that would be interesting to hear.

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
If anyone has experience configuring TrueNAS Core, for multipath, and they had a generally successful or generally unsuccessful experience doing so, that would be interesting to hear.
Huh, i didnt know this was a touchy subject. I threw CORE on a R730xd with a MD1280 attached for funsies. It was a PITA to figure out which of the 98 drives failed when one of the 196 "devices" threw errors. SCALE never saw the light of day because of thier issues with NIC teaming on broadcom drivers. In the end were getting rid of the MD1280s because they suck... but the whole multipath was automagic from install. All in all id say *multipath* was generally successful despite for the poor hw engineering.

NOTE: this was on a system with a PERC H730 (SAS3108) and LSI 9207-8e (SAS2308)