Fusion-io 3.2 TB PCI-E ioScale Internal SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheRealHH

Jan 20, 2020
Got the drive in, benched it for anyone interested.

Fusion.jpg

Endurance numbers:
end.jpg

I'm plenty happy with it, but I do have a couple questions. Firmware that was preinstalled was v7.1.17, rev 116786 Public, and in the manual it recommended avoiding downgrading the firmware. Should I bother installing 3.2.11? And the last question is about temps. Idles at about 65c, max was 71c after benching. Are those fine, or should I rig up a spare 120mm to blow across it? Thanks again, hope the benches/endurance numbers help anyone lookin'.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I'd just run 7.1.17.

As for temps, those Virtex FPGAs that are on the Gen2 cards are good for 100C. I think they start throttling around 86C and will take themselves offline around 96C.

The cards are rated for 300LFM of airflow, but I've found I don't need much airflow in front of them in order to keep them cool.

It's difficult to get direct air on them depending on your case layout, but I've used these little antec spot cool fans off a mobo screw in order to get air where I needed it in denser installations: https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Spot-Gooseneck-Thermal-Sensing/dp/B00JYE5I1Y

Example from one of my old, old systems...x58 chipset with an i7-930 CPU I think? This was from 2014 or 2015. I had a Gen1 Duo and a gen2 1.2TB card in here with no real airflow other than the antec spotcool.

And don't let that ugliness scare you, my revised ESX box was much nicer:
2017 E5-2670 ESX Server Build

Last edited:

TheRealHH

Jan 20, 2020
Good to know, think I'll just hang tight and see how it plays out. Thanks for all the help! Also, that ESX box looks awesome hahaha, great pic.

RetiredInFl

Jan 20, 2020
I got lucky. Had an 8% "eBay bucks" coupon from eBay in my inbox + seller accepted $200. Should have it Monday. Glad I found this thread. Was about to replace a 500GB SSD.