Fusion-io 3.2 TB PCI-E ioScale Internal SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have one of the earlier ones and it works fine with Windows 10 and most likely with server. I did install special drivers and toolset for it.

Reactions: Samir

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
And what, nvme support isn't itself a special driver? =)
No, not when there is a generic one that isn't vendor specific. NVMe is pretty much like SATA now in terms of support.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
No, not when there is a generic one that isn't vendor specific. NVMe is pretty much like SATA now in terms of support.
Well, at the time, we were kinda the only vendor...

And that said, most nvme flash manufacturers have their own nvme drivers separate from the generic nvme driver.

And every sata card I've ever had has had its own driver as well.

TheRealHH

Jan 20, 2020
Just a heads-up, I offered 200 with a 48 hour window, they accepted with just a few hours remaining. Excited to pop it into my system, as I've been running on empty these last few months (256GB M550, 1TB WD Black, both damn near full). Should be a very very nice boost for my steam library, going from the spinner to this. [EDIT]: Should clarify, I used the link Samir provided in their post, that's where I offered the 200.

In my research before buying, here's a helpful post on driver revisions and firmware to pair with the driver -
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-2tb-reference-page.11287/page-15#post-242862

The only thing about that post (if you could clarify acquacow), the current revision on the WD website is listed as 3.2.15.1699 with firmware 3.2.11-20150618, which don't appear as a pair in the above list. The list has
VSL 3.2.16 - Firmware 7.1.17.116786
as the most current. Am I missing something? I'm guessing I derp'd out somewhere, or the naming scheme has possibly changed.

Here's a link to where you're going to need to go to grab drivers (if I'm not mistaken) -
Home

Click Product Downloads, Log in, Click Downloads. On the drop down menu on the left choose ioScale, Windows (assuming you're on windows), Current Release (which is 3.2.15 in my list). Select both the Firmware Update and Binary (they need to be used as a pair, per the first link).

Until I get the drive, that's as far as I can guide anyone else, but I'm assuming it's as simple as chucking the drive in the PC, installing the binary, updating the firmware, then restarting the computer. If you want a fancy pants GUI, I think you need ioSphere as well, but I'm not about that life :p

Last edited:

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Yeah, 3.2.15 is the latest windows release. I'd use it with the latest supported firmware for that release, fusion_3.2.11-20150618.fff

The later releases I believe were just for kernel compatibility in RHEL 7.6/7.7, as things changed a bit causing compile errors.

Reactions: Samir and TheRealHH

RetiredInFl

Jan 20, 2020
Found this drive on eBay then found this forum. I'm not quite following this. I am, understanding that native Win10 drivers work with this. I looked through the other thread referenced here but am still lost. Can someone kindly link me to where Win10 drivers be found? Seems like a great drive for some "junk" storage.

Thanks,
Ed

pif43

Jun 30, 2019
Found this drive on eBay then found this forum. I'm not quite following this. I am, understanding that native Win10 drivers work with this. I looked through the other thread referenced here but am still lost. Can someone kindly link me to where Win10 drivers be found? Seems like a great drive for some "junk" storage.

Thanks,
Ed
I didn't manage to make 1.3 TB version work on Win10.
Fine with ESXI though, Debian with some hustle.

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016
I didn't manage to make 1.3 TB version work on Win10.
Fine with ESXI though, Debian with some hustle.
I've had a 1.3TB ioScale working in Windows for years w/o issue.

Thanks,
Ed
You need to create an account @ WD. After that you can download the drivers.

Login Template Title

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
ioDrives do no such thing =)
I am pretty sure that the fusion iomemory device used to show up in crystaldiskinfo and similar tools with ahci as the protocol.
Checked it with the current version of crystaldiskinfo and the iodrive doesn't show up at all ._.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Mine was SX350-1300, there are Windows Server drivers for it, but not Win10.
Still can be my lack of Windows experience though.
The windows drivers work in all windows versions 7/8/10/server/etc.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I am pretty sure that the fusion iomemory device used to show up in crystaldiskinfo and similar tools with ahci as the protocol.
Checked it with the current version of crystaldiskinfo and the iodrive doesn't show up at all ._.
Any block layer stuff you see for an ioDrive is fudged and done in main memory.

It's basically done the way a swap file is done, but reversed. Instead of having virtual memory blocks on a disk backing layer, the ioDrive VSL driver holds a virtual block mapping in DRAM and does everything on the back-end using raw memory addressing between host DRAM and the flash on the ioDrive. There are zero block protocols/etc used at the ioDrive level.

It may be fudged to look a certain way on the OS side for compatibility, but what you see is not really what is happening =)