Fun with an MD1200/MD1220 & SC200/SC220

bmearnhardt

Apr 5, 2021
Contrary to what a lot of other people have said, i only issued the set_speed command once to lower fanspeed to 10% and it hasn't ramped back up at all. Not sure what my controllers' firmware versions are as I didn't update them, and I probably won't since everything is working well atm
Mine was working fine for about a week. I was running the script from Hugo0Boss but after a week or two it started to just ramp back up after a second or two. Is there a battery that would save the settings during a power outage? If there is mine is dead.

Citizen03212

Sep 7, 2018
Is drive support for these shelves entirely determined by the controllers?

I've been looking at a SC200 driven by a H200e (cheapest enclosure + HBA combo to start with?)... but I would want to reuse a stack of SATA drives I already own. I see old posts saying 8TB SATA drives work fine in a SC200... and others where people are saying only SAS worked. But I think that could be one person was maybe using a H800 that doesn't talking to modern 6gb SATA disks... while something like a H200/H200e does?

joshenders

Jul 26, 2012
Be super careful when flashing with _boot as it will accept any file over the XMODEM protocol and not even do a size check. I accidentally flashed an arbitrary file to one of my EMMs and bricked it.

I noticed that _shutup works in unified mode and doesn't ramp the fans back up under this configuration:

2x power supplies
1x EMM
12x drives populated

OT but has anyone managed to get split mode working properly on these? I have two 9207-8e with IT firmware flashed with each port connected to an EMM on two MD1200s and toggled the switch on the front for split mode but can only ever see the drives attached to the upper EMM.

wlp94611

Jul 26, 2020
Hi Guys!

I've been reading this thread closely as it directly speaks to a purchase I'm getting ready to make, and I would appreciate your input.

I've got a Dell r720 running XCP-ng and am planning to run a TrueNAS Core instance using an MD1200 expansion chassis connected by an LSI 9207-8e hba. Noise is a major consideration.

Has anyone been successful in automatically adjusting fan speed according to the enclosure temperature other than by a script running every "x" number of seconds?

Based on your experience, is the MD1200 a good choice and, if not, what would be a better option?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

blitz

May 2, 2021
another quick note on fan control, if you're plugged into the second controller in a 2 controller shelf and send a fan command, fans will ramp back up as the main controller is in control. also if you go lower than 20%, it'll ramp back up. if you want to actually go lower than 20% (not really recommended if you have drives in the thing), you need to fake the temp with set_temp - but I wouldn't go that low with functioning drives in the thing unless you wanna cook them. 20% is already a massive sound improvement
Thank you for this tip!!!! I didn't realize the second EMM was ramping the fans back up. Pulled it out. Now my fan settings stay.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Be super careful when flashing with _boot as it will accept any file over the XMODEM protocol and not even do a size check. I accidentally flashed an arbitrary file to one of my EMMs and bricked it.

I noticed that _shutup works in unified mode and doesn't ramp the fans back up under this configuration:

2x power supplies
1x EMM
12x drives populated

OT but has anyone managed to get split mode working properly on these? I have two 9207-8e with IT firmware flashed with each port connected to an EMM on two MD1200s and toggled the switch on the front for split mode but can only ever see the drives attached to the upper EMM.
make sure after toggling the switch you completely remove all power from the disk shelf and all controllers in the thing for a few seconds, then power it back up. the switch only gets "read" during a cold boot of the controllers

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Is drive support for these shelves entirely determined by the controllers?

I've been looking at a SC200 driven by a H200e (cheapest enclosure + HBA combo to start with?)... but I would want to reuse a stack of SATA drives I already own. I see old posts saying 8TB SATA drives work fine in a SC200... and others where people are saying only SAS worked. But I think that could be one person was maybe using a H800 that doesn't talking to modern 6gb SATA disks... while something like a H200/H200e does?
these shelves will run anything

Reactions: Citizen03212