Full height rack - Bolt to wall or floor?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Sorry don't know why I thought you were doing it in an apartment. Now I see someone above made that assumption and I ran with it. In a office building, go for it, I totally would to save money.

Ganesh

Jan 13, 2017
Thanks, Amarluk. I needed that reinforcement. I was starting to wonder if I was making a big mistake. May be I should have been more explicit. It is a small office with two rooms. I am intending to set up the racks in one room and keep the door closed so that hopefully I don't get too disturbed by the noise. Thanks again.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ganesh

Jan 13, 2017
Thanks, Amarluk. I needed that reinforcement. I was starting to wonder if I was making a big mistake. May be I should have been more explicit. It is a small office with two rooms. I am intending to set up the racks in one room and keep the door closed so that hopefully I don't get too disturbed by the noise. Thanks again.

Sorry, misspelled Amalurk.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Ganesh HE is like $100/ year cost inflation and they often let you add a second rack.

The big catches are round hole posts and low power budget.

How much power are you going to be using?

If you are at $400/ mo and will have paying customers soon, you also can add that you will not have to get the racks plus get more bandwidth in a data center.

The one we use for a lab is in Sunnyvale and they used to get down to well under $300/kW/mo and include racks/ cooling and such.

Another benefit is that when you need to go production, add more racks/ power, add more bandwidth and etc. you do not have to rip everything out.

PG&E electric rates are sub $0.15 / kWh for larger customers. SVP is around $0.10. so even adding redundancy/ cooling load they can beat the $0.375 or whatever residential PG&E is.

If you have that much gear a landlord will notice.

Ganesh

Jan 13, 2017
Hi Patrick, that is great input. Assuming 12 machines and a couple of switches, based on the math discussed in some of the posts, that would work out to 3.6 - 5 KW. Having said that, I would still prefer to colocate at a proper facility rather than in my office. Let me speak to HE again and figure out if I can afford to colocate.

Also, since my office rental includes power costs, I doubt very much if the property managers are going to very happy to see a bump in the monthly consolidated bill from PG&E for the building. :(

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Math time,
5Kw/h x 24 hrs x 30days = 3,600 KW/h

Let's assume $0.18 per KW/h electricity = $648 (free) electricity
Ask yourself , then how much is the true cost of rent after free electricity ?

I read earlier in the thread that you are planning to pull 2 x 30A new power circuit, you may be pulling more than 5Kw/h.

How will the property managers react?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
5kW with Internet I bet you can get for $1400-1600/mo.

That may seem like a lot, but electricians in the bay area are not cheap and it sounds like you are going to be spending quite a bit for something you would not want to put a customer on.