Fujitsu SAS-3008 RAID contr. on ESX host...how to manage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
I just got a FUJITSU CP400i x8 RAID controller (SAS-3008 based) as I found out the Intel SATA controller (C232 chipset) seem to have some driver issues both on Hyper-V and ESX ....but that's another story, but nevertheless interesting.

Fujitsu have a RAID manager called Server View RAID that you install e.g. on Windows which is capable of manage the controller remotely through IP port 5989.

I imaging this will work easily if you install ESX using Fujitsu's ESX bundle image....but my server have an ASRock board (E3C232D2I, not recommendable, but that's also another story) so I used the "default" ESX installation image.

1: Any advice on how I get this to work? I think I need to install some client software on my ESX host which can talk to the remote RAID manager, but I cannot find anything I'm not skilled enough to extract this out of the Fujitsu ESX image myself.

2: Another approach could be to not go the Fujitsu way. I could imagine it would be possible to update the controller firmware and transfer it to a "default" LSI controller and use their tools if that is even possible.
I don't even know if they have similar management tools?

Any advices from you guys/girls on what to do.....I haven't been playing with RAID since SCSI controllers used PCI and had 60 pins :p

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
I Installed Win10 directly on the host, downloaded driver, firmware and LSI MegaRAID Storage Manger (MSM) for the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9341-8i controller, and everything seems to work perfectly with the Fujitsu CP400i x8 controller (the controllers seem to be identical).

LSI also have a vib package to install on VMware ESX host. I assume I afterwards will be able to connect to ESX using MSM and manage the controller remotely :)