FS: SC846TQ, with rails, dual platinum power supplies + H8DME-2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

phroenips

Jul 14, 2013
Not sure if there would be any interest for this, seems like most everyone wants the SAS2 backplane, not the TQ, but I'll offer it up anyway.

SC846 with the TQ backplane (24 individual SATA connections):
  • rails ("native" fit for square holes, I also have adapters to use in a round hole rack)
  • Dual platinum power supplies (supermicro branded): One PWS-920P-1R and one PWS-920P-SQ
  • 24x drive trays, I'll also include a bag of drive screws
Compute:
  • H8DME-2 motherboard
  • 2 socket, quad core AMD Opteron 2374 HE @ 2.2Ghz
  • 64GB (8x8GB) DDR2 ECC
  • 3x PCI-X HBAs (SAT2-MV8)
  • IPMI: SIM1U+ with AOC-USB2RJ45
I'm also a bit unsure of a fair price. Let's start with $350 $299 shipped (continental US) OBO. PayPal preferred.

Last edited:

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
FTR, I'm not one of those "anti-TQ" types and I would love this but I suspect shipping to the UK would be very expensive.

phroenips

Jul 14, 2013
Probably :p

If you're interested, PM me your address or postal code, and I can get some estimates

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
can u send me the uk shipping quote too pls for the 846
Since the 846 chassis is too large to go USPS, you're looking at $500+ to get it over to Europe via FedEx/UPS generally.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
lol no worries would be cheaper doing a suitcase / holiday combo hahs
I looked into that and unless you have high tier status with an airline, you'll get generally get hit with oversize and overweight fees. LHR doesn't permit bags over 70lbs and usually an 846 chassis is over that. You'd have to pull components (ie power supplies/fans) to try to get under that. Even then, with United for example it's $200 per oversize bag and $200 for overweight (between 50-70lbs), so $400 total. Not really saving much sadly (though other airlines could be cheaper).

cgtechuk

Dec 27, 2016
I looked into that and unless you have high tier status with an airline, you'll get generally get hit with oversize and overweight fees. LHR doesn't permit bags over 70lbs and usually an 846 chassis is over that. You'd have to pull components (ie power supplies/fans) to try to get under that. Even then, with United for example it's $200 per oversize bag and $200 for overweight (between 50-70lbs), so $400 total. Not really saving much sadly (though other airlines could be cheaper).

Just as an FYI I have previous for this lol

I am Gold status with a UK airline who travels to the US regularly

I have 8tb Easystores and a Supermicro SC936 chassis which came to the UK in a suitcase,

My tier status gets me 3 x 32kg Per person in luggage

All I did when I brought it home was removed the fans, power supplies, caddies,fans and fan walls and put them all in my hand luggage and even managed the rails in with the chassis. Booked on an airmiles ticket :)

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
@cgtechuk This is good advice to keep in the back of one's mind. Thanks. I probably wouldn't get Gold status with an airline network just for this perk, but if I ever found myself in a position where I was doing a lot of travelling related to data centre engineering, then I guess I would look into it again.

phroenips

Jul 14, 2013
Looks like I'm late to replying to this party, but for a laugh, I'll post up the quotes I got (I was able to get a USPS quote with the size box I have for it):

USPS is USD 470, and UPS is USD 670.