[FS] EPYC SP3, TR4, or TRX4 CPU Carrier Frame Tray

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Advin

Jun 10, 2023
Hello,

I have a few of these CPU carrier trays spare from a project, compatible with EPYC Milan, Rome, and Naples processors, along with Threadripper TR4 and TRX4.

IMG_0702.jpeg

I am selling these for $20 each through USPS including free shipping within the US, shipped out within 1-2 weekdays. I can also upgrade to UPS next day or 2nd day air, message me for details since rates will depend on where you are at. These will ship from 19803 - Wilmington DE.

PayPal preferred

Thank you!

Last edited:

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
If you have the means to print it with a filament that won't melt, then yes, it might be a suitable option. I'm not totally confident on that model being able to hold a real CPU in place in a socket given that it appears to be for a stand, otherwise I would be using those rather than buying these CPU carrier frames.

... Abs the second most common filament material has a melting point of 230°C.

Also it's made by scanning a real one and making it flat in the bottom (so it doesn't have the pegs) but I can say from experience that it works well enough.

Advin

Jun 10, 2023
... Abs the second most common filament material has a melting point of 230°C.

Also it's made by scanning a real one and making it flat in the bottom (so it doesn't have the pegs) but I can say from experience that it works well enough.
It might melt at 230C, but if I recall correctly, ABS will start to soften, warp, or deform between 80-100C, especially with sustained heat from a server CPU for months or even years at a time.

I wouldn't risk it when you're talking about a holder for a CPU that could be worth up to $1,000, and a motherboard that costs $400+.

Reactions: creidhne and SINN78

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
It might melt at 230C, but if I recall correctly, ABS will start to soften, warp, or deform between 80-100C, especially with sustained heat from a server CPU for months or even years at a time.

I wouldn't risk it when you're talking about a holder for a CPU that could be worth up to $1,000, and a motherboard that costs $400+.
Right? Imagine being down $1400+ over $20 o_O

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Right? Imagine being down $1400+ over $20 o_O
Right cause abs is corrosive and all.
Worst case scenario you might get a dirty space around the socket (cause the carrier doesn't actually touch the inside the socket). But at that point your cpu already melted cause if your cpu surface or surrounding area is at 80ºC your core temperatures are 150+. Anyway if you think there is a risk go a ahead and buy an original one but to use scare tactics is kinda sad.

Reactions: automobile

Advin

Jun 10, 2023
Right cause abs is corrosive and all.
Worst case scenario you might get a dirty space around the socket (cause the carrier doesn't actually touch the inside the socket). But at that point your cpu already melted cause if your cpu surface or surrounding area is at 80ºC your core temperatures are 150+. Anyway if you think there is a risk go a ahead and buy an original one but to use scare tactics is kinda sad.
I bought CPU carrier frames from another seller on eBay since I was building a lot of EPYC Milan servers, but now that we're shifting gears to Genoa, we don't need these Rome / Milan / Naples CPU carrier frames anymore. I'm not in any hurry to sell them, but I am just talking about my personal experiences and my trust level/research into 3D printing carrier frames. I think there are also some other filaments that can handle more heat which could be better for such a use case.

If you have trust in ABS and in the model itself, then go ahead and print your own. My research indicates there could be a chance of ABS deforming due to its low melting points and transition temperatures, especially over time in a 24x7 production environment. I chose to just buy CPU carrier frames because I didn't want to run the risk of ABS. That is my personal experience and why I didn't 3D print mine.

Most probably don't have a 3D printer or the time to print a CPU carrier frame anyways.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I've got a dumb question. Isn't the CPU really held in place by the screws and metal frame? I've always seen carrier trays as helping to properly align the CPU and socket before the metal frames are used.

Good luck with sale.

automobile

May 16, 2017
I've got a dumb question. Isn't the CPU really held in place by the screws and metal frame? I've always seen carrier trays as helping to properly align the CPU and socket before the metal frames are used.

Good luck with sale.
Have you ever installed EPYC/Threadripper CPU? It's a nightmare doing this without a carrier frame...

Advin

Jun 10, 2023

Good luck with sale.
Yeah, it's perfectly possible to align/put the CPU in the socket without the carrier frame. But as @automobile pointed out it's a nightmare, especially if you want to take out the CPU at any point, super hard to get a grip on the CPU.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I have different experiences. We are installing all EPYC's here without the frame and never had any issues handling them without the carriers. We had often all sorts of issues while using the carriers. Know ppl in the industry prefer not to use the carriers.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I did not mean install it without that. If you look mechanically the CPU is being pressed into the socket via the metal frame, not the carrier.