FS: Atom C3558 Fanless Network Appliance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
Did you happen to ever get QAT working on these? ...I can vouch for Blue Fox as sterling seller with fast shipping on previous transactions. This is a great deal for solid routers/firewall box:)

Reactions: Samir and Patrick

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Did you happen to ever get QAT working on these? ...I can vouch for Blue Fox as sterling seller with fast shipping on previous transactions. This is a great deal for solid routers/firewall box:)
As only pfSense Plus supports QAT, I've not personally tried it (my colo only has 100mbit, so little benefit to my IPsec tunnel), but it should work.

Reactions: Samir

razzfazz0815

Oct 29, 2023
FWIW, QAT seems to work fine even on pfSense CE; you just need to compile the kernel modules on another FreeBSD box, transfer them over, and load them manually.

Reactions: Samir and abq

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Hello, is there still a device available for sell? Or they are sold out?
Still available, but I'm traveling currently, like many for the holidays, so I won't be able to ship immediately. Please PM me and we can sort things out.

Reactions: Samir

rocketpanda40

Dec 12, 2019
The NICs have relays that can permit traffic to flow between two of them when the unit is off if you want. Usually used for in-line traffic monitoring/filtering. You can toggle the functionality on/off in the UEFI settings.
Question: in theory, if one was to run a Palo Alto vm on this and pass through the bypass nics, configure those interfaces as a virtual wire (transparent firewall) – would traffic continue to flow over the NICs with the VM and / or whole host powered off?

Am I understanding that right?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Question: in theory, if one was to run a Palo Alto vm on this and pass through the bypass nics, configure those interfaces as a virtual wire (transparent firewall) – would traffic continue to flow over the NICs with the VM and / or whole host powered off?

Am I understanding that right?
You can certain set it up that way. For loss of power or turned off, you would change the BIOS settings for the relays to toggle them to close.

If it's just a VM down, you would need to do that via software, presumably through your hypervisor since it would know the VM's status. You can toggle how the bypass functionality behaves via SMBus. Aaeon provides some examples in their manual starting on page 98. See: https://data-us.aaeon.com/DOWNLOAD/MANUAL/FWS-2360 manual 3rd Ed.pdf