Format SSD to 4Kn with Samsung DC Toolkit 2.1 for Linux?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pimposh

hardware pimp
Nov 19, 2022
I got some PM863 480GB running GXT3003Q, never seen anything more recent.
I believe you can only find latest Dell branded FW that need bit of rework to get flashed.

MuscleLazy

Apr 30, 2022
I have the GXT32F3Q installed, I'll check if I can get it extracted and share it. I don't think there is an easy tool to extract the firmware, openSeaChest has one but is designed only for Seagate disks.

Last edited:

MuscleLazy

Apr 30, 2022
It does not, same 512e support only. As a side note, DCToolkit has a nice feature showing you how my data was written to each disk, so you know what's left for the disk endurance:
Code:
# ./DCToolkit --list
================================================================================================
Samsung DC Toolkit Version 2.1.L.Q.0
Copyright (C) 2017 SAMSUNG Electronics Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.
================================================================================================
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Disk   | Path     | Model                      | Serial               | Firmware | Optionrom | Capacity | Drive  | Total Bytes | NVMe Driver |
| Number |          |                            | Number               |          | Version   |          | Health | Written     |             |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 0      | /dev/sda | SAMSUNG MZ7LH960HAJR-00005 | xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       | HXT7A04Q | N/A       |   894 GB | GOOD   | 746.10 TB   | N/A         |
| 1      | /dev/sdb | SAMSUNG MZ7LH960HAJR-00005 | xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       | HXT7A04Q | N/A       |   894 GB | GOOD   | 838.62 TB   | N/A         |
| 2      | /dev/sdc | SAMSUNG MZ7LH960HAJR-00005 | xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       | HXT7A04Q | N/A       |   894 GB | GOOD   | 857.98 TB   | N/A         |
| 3      | /dev/sdd | SAMSUNG MZ7LM240HCGR-00003 | xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       | GXT32F3Q | N/A       |   223 GB | GOOD   | 0.26 TB     | N/A         |
| 4      | /dev/sde | SAMSUNG MZ7LM240HCGR-00003 | xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       | GXT32F3Q | N/A       |   223 GB | GOOD   | 0.26 TB     | N/A         |
I paid for the PM883s 960GB on eBay $40 each, they have the wear at 87-89%, plenty to go until 0%:
Code:
# smartctl -a /dev/sda | egrep 'FLAG|Wear'
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0013   089   089   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       801
245 Timed_Workld_Media_Wear 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       65535
The PM863s 240GB are at 99% wear.

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
What makes you think 4K formatting will bring much benefit, if any?
just interest part is that when they format it as 512e (in 4kn) they actually inflate iops.
(at least in my own tests) performance stays about same though. You do gain space, as partition space, as well as file index are being written with better efficiency.

( i do recall some micron enterprise SSD having issues with overprovisioned memory when in 4kn - but manually blocking off more from it solved that odd issue.)

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
I have the GXT32F3Q installed, I'll check if I can get it extracted and share it. I don't think there is an easy tool to extract the firmware, openSeaChest has one but is designed only for Seagate disks.
I don't think this will work, because the firmware-update-file is encrypted/signed, and the "F" indicates in most cases that this is not an OEM Drive.

The "NF" in the firmware-file name means noformat, it should work without formatting/secure-erasing, but don't count on it (Backup), most are NF even if it's not in the filename.
FW-version is the fifth digit: GXT5404Q, JXTE204Q, ...

It works anyway with ashift=12 and its better to do so in ZFS (it's default in actual TrueNAS versions). I personally give some more over-provisioning via HPA (hdparm -Np1562500000 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sdX), between 15% - 28% keeps the write-amplification low -> more room for garbage collection -> less wear, and enhances write performance.
Overprovisioning on SATA-SSD's

Reactions: MuscleLazy

pimposh

hardware pimp
Nov 19, 2022
I personally give some more over-provisioning via HPA (hdparm -Np1562500000 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sdX), between 15% - 28% keeps the write-amplification low -> more room for garbage collection -> less wear, and enhances write performance.
How this is different from creating partition/allocating eg 85% of total available space of media ? Aren't most if not all internal FW OP mechanisms working this way (checking what's free and using it for internal OP) ? Or is there some sort of OP on file-system level, which I have not heard of yet ?

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
How this is different from creating partition/allocating eg 85% of total available space of media ? Aren't most if not all internal FW OP mechanisms working this way (checking what's free and using it for internal OP) ? Or is there some sort of OP on file-system level, which I have not heard of yet ?
Thats true, you can do it this way, no real difference internally i believe. With the HPA-method it makes the space mostly inaccessible by OS, and shows the drive with the capacity you set plus doesn't tempt you to free up the rest of the available space afterwards...