Flashing the Cisco CX623106A NIC to OEM firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jnsdf

Oct 9, 2020
I got only 9 and need 15 more in case someone is willing to sell them to me. Thanks!

Slothstronaut

Apr 27, 2022
Just for some confirmation, this does work. Was able to use a small jumper, boot the card and do the PSID change, power off then remove jumper, then power on and flash normally. Was able to convert all 20 cards from the Cisco flash to the fully-featured (with Crypto) Nvidia model MCX623106AC-CDA. Great guide! I had one freak out and start acting very strange in ESXi but the others have been great. Need to do some more troubleshooting whats going on.

The card acting up was the first card I tried to flash, and I ended up flashing it first to the non-crypto firmware, then changed it to the crypto and reflashed it. Not sure if that's what caused the weird behavior or what. Going to spend some time on it this weekend to see whats up. Basically the card is passing traffic from one port out the other when connected as redundant uplinks on a vDS in ESXi. This causes a massive network loop and brings the entire network to a halt eventually. Swapped out the card and it stops. I'm guessing something about messing with the firmware so much broke something with the hardware offload and its not doing what its supposed to.

Anyways, great guide, awesome that you found such a handy workaround!

Reactions: bitbckt

JBB

Jan 2, 2022
What am I doing wrong? I have a ConnectX-6 DX from eBay that spits out the following:

MST devices:
------------

mt530_pciconf0

Soldered the jumper on and the card also burns constant orange and gets the following when updating:

flint -d mt530_pciconf0 --psid MT_0000000437 -i fw-ConnectX6Dx-rel-22_38_1900-MCX623106AS-CDA_Ax-UEFI-14.31.20-FlexBoot-3.7.201.signed.bin -ocr --nofs --allow_psid_change --yes burn

-W- Firmware flash cache access is enabled. Running in this mode may cause the firmware to hang.
-E- Cannot open Device: mt530_pciconf0. MFE_NO_FLASH_DETECTED

Attachments

twinkletoes

Jan 8, 2024
What am I doing wrong? I have a ConnectX-6 DX from eBay that spits out the following:

-W- Firmware flash cache access is enabled. Running in this mode may cause the firmware to hang.
-E- Cannot open Device: mt530_pciconf0. MFE_NO_FLASH_DETECTED
I got MFE_NO_FLASH_DETECTED using older version of flint, but not all the time. Most of the time!

Using the latest mft from NVIDIA, it worked every time.

twinkletoes

Jan 8, 2024
Well, this turned out to be easier than I anticipated.

I issued the following:

Code:
# mst start
# mst status // /dev/mst/mt4125_pciconf0 is the CX-6.
# flint -d /dev/mst/mt530_pciconf0 --psid MT_0000000437 -i fw-ConnectX6Dx-rel-22_35_2302-MCX623106AS-CDA_Ax-UEFI-14.28.16-FlexBoot-3.6.805.signed.bin -ocr --nofs --allow_psid_change --yes burn
# shutdown -r now
The 'mst start' isn't necessary. That appears to run some utility that doesn't do anything in this application.

Also I don't think it's necessary to blacklist the mlx5_core or the i2c.

At least, from what I can tell, when you jumper JP7, it changes the PCI device ID to the Mellanox flash thingie and nothing wants to attach anyways.

Just flint away, using the latest MFT...

twinkletoes

Jan 8, 2024
Hey, just sayin'. Your directions were excellent, but I don't think mst start is required. On newer NVIDIA Mellanox Firmware Tools, the 'mst start' command is now called 'mst server start' and those Mellanox services are not used in the flint process. Flint talks directly to the card and does the flash either way.

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
The appropriate way to say that is along the lines of: “as of MFT version XYZ, mst start is no longer necessary.”

I provided the environment details to avoid exactly that sort of future visitor sharpshooting BS.

Reactions: oneplane

Michal_MTTJ

Apr 12, 2024
You don't need a jumpter for that. A pair of sufficiently thin tweezers will also work
Just for some confirmation, this does work. Was able to use a small jumper, boot the card and do the PSID change

Hi, I might have a strange question about J7 pins (maybe JP2 ???). I just received the "Dell Mellanox CX6" card. I converted it from Dell IB to Dell IB/Ethernet 100GbE ("flint" command under windows10 - like Cx-3/4/5). but I can't flash to OEM Mellanox 200GbE because of "Secure FW" and PSID from Dell not OEM Mellanox (flashing MT_0000000223 into DEL0000000013).

My question to you who found the pins - which pins are J7? Because there are many around "J7" or could it be JP2?
can you please look into the photo and tell which pins should I connect?

1713786033110.png

or maybe talking about JP2 ?
1713786084897.png