Feedback on virt platform for development

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thutch

Oct 31, 2016
First post. I'm want to build up a basic virtualization platform for use by myself and the rest of my development team for tooling and devops-"ish" type stuff; i.e., most definitely not production. For example, I'd like to develop a slackbot for scheduling some internal resources, and I need a place to run it. Likewise, I need a place to run a python webserver for some phone-home type stuff from other services. None of this stuff is production class, and if it goes down or is lost altogether that's fine.

My last company had vmware vcloud director, and I loved having a web console that allowed self-serviced provisioning. We're not doing vmware for this, so I figured I'd try out proxmox ve. For hardware, I planned on a single one of these (dual 2650's, 4tb) except with 128gb.

So I'd appreciate some feedback. I've never used proxmox, but I've seen its name a bunch. And I have no idea how I should setup the harddrives (4x1TB spinny disks). Would there be any problem using ext4? I'll admit I know next to nothing about linux filesystems.

Thanks everyone.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
If you can get a few cheap datacenter SSDs that will help you a lot.

I'd go ZFS if you can. It makes backups easier.

TBH - if you can get it installed Proxmox is easy to do the basics on.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
Definitely ZFS over ext4, but if possible, add one small SSD for ZIL. This improves performance considerably...